Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys carry your rifles?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do you guys carry your rifles?

    I have never found a good way to mount a carrier to my machine so I end up puting it in a regular hard case in my sled on top of the load.
    The Kolpin(sp) hard cases look like a good idea. How do they work out in the field and how are you guys mounting them?

    Looking for some tested Ideas from my fellow Alaskans.

    Regards,

    Jim

  • #2
    One Option

    This one came on the sled, second seat mounted to second seat handles.
    Last edited by AKFishOn; 06-18-2007, 13:45.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've carried a rifle several different ways. A good way is if you can find a place to mount a gun boot bracket (I like the old style metal bracket with two carriage bolts). If you are riding a long track you can usually find a decent place to mount it on the tunnel extension. Just be careful about riding fast or in bumpy areas. Since the gun will be on the rear, it tends to get bounced around kind of hard if you ride fast.

      Another way is to use the same gun boot (without the mounting bracket)and lay it along side the tunnel just short of where your feet ride. I have seen guys do this several different ways. Some use bungee cords, some drill holes in the tunnel and mount eye bolts for tie downs, etc... This type of mount is nice because the gun doesn't get bounced as much, but it does tend to interfere with your foot placement unless you keep them in the stirrups. With the gun boot series, you can still get the gun out and leave the case mounted to the machine which is nice.

      One modification I have made to my gun boot is the addition of bungee cords to hold the end cap on. I took two 15" black rubber bungees, removed the hooks and threaded one through the gun boot handle. I then used fairly heavy plastic tie wraps and tied the end of the bungees together to make a loop. This works well to simply stretch the loop over the end of the boot instead of having to mess with the pin every time. I still use the pin along with the bungees for long distances, but for slow riding I only use the bungee.

      Hopefully this makes sense, otherwise I may be able to get some photos once I get the sled out.
      AKmud
      sigpic


      The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

      Comment


      • #4
        The Kolpins break like glass in very cold temps.
        "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
        ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

        Comment


        • #5
          cold....

          Originally posted by Akres View Post
          The Kolpins break like glass in very cold temps.

          Maybe they have changed something in their composition. Mine is probably 10-12 years old and has been in some nasty cold with no problems.
          AKmud
          sigpic


          The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

          Comment


          • #6
            gun boots

            I always seem to "BREAK" mine. I had one on the sled mounted like the picture above. I put a hose clamp around the narrow end where the end of the barrel goes. I find that the tighter you have them held on, the less likely they are to break. I had one held on just by the screw in that they had and it cracked right there to the to movement. Secure them solidly and they will last for a long time. We are constantly in the cold here, and they will last if you secure them right. I carry my rifle on slung with the scope on my chest. Just like to I guess. My partner hated that and would always give me crap, but when that "quick" shot came up, guess who was ready????

            Comment


            • #7
              Rifle carry

              Jim, A good way to hunt from a snowmachine is to ride with your rifle slung over your shoulder diagonally with it in front of your chest. Get a wide leather sling. A lot of us guys out here in the Bristol Bay area hunt like that. It's quick to get at your rifle when you need it. Can't remember the type of leather sling I have but it's pretty wide at the top so it's not that uncomfortable to carry a rifle this way. One guy out here has a slick setup, a leather scabbard bolted through the hood of his sno-go which gives him has fast access to his rifle. I couldn't do that if I wanted now that I have a new Phazer Mountain Lite since there is no hood to bolt to.

              Comment

              Footer Adsense

              Collapse
              Working...
              X