Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volcanic Ash

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Volcanic Ash

    Stay away from the places the ash has fallen. It is bad news for machines. Skwentna and Petersville are reporting ash right now. Everyone needs to track the ashfall, before you head out riding. Speaking from experience, the ash will remain all through the following summer. I would not ride in these areas for the remainder of the winter. Sad deal, but better than doing the damage. This stuff gets into places you would never dream of. Use discretion and caution before heading out. Make a call or two to the locals. If they say they have/have had ash, consider your options.

    This is not going to be good for the bear hunters in 16B and 16A. Lets hope the denning areas are least hit and at least the planes will be able to work on them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  • #2
    As of 9:30 am on 23 Mar Tal Vista has a 1/2" of ash on the ground and some still falling. This was from Chris at Tal. :mad: Just when the riding was getting real good out that way. We rode over 200 miles Saturday and found some of the greatest untouched powder riding off in the swamps. It was a great training day for the young ones that were in our group.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
      As of 9:30 am on 23 Mar Tal Vista has a 1/2" of ash on the ground and some still falling. This was from Chris at Tal. :mad: Just when the riding was getting real good out that way. We rode over 200 miles Saturday and found some of the greatest untouched powder riding off in the swamps. It was a great training day for the young ones that were in our group.
      A half inch is quite a bit. We took three machines out on a stretch a several years ago, that had even less than that. We only traveled about 30 to 40 miles on the trip, a bear hunt and the ash was layered under fresh snow that had it covered up. It damaged the slides, bearings, and one of the motors had to be reringed. It scraped the cylinder walls bad on that one (Skidoo). The air boxes were coated in ash. Those guys out there relying on machines or planes for their basic transportation are in deep kimshee. They can expect to be doing some maintenance soon, if they insist on traveling in the mess. Bottom line for me now, is that I would steer clear of places that have ash in any amount.
      "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
      ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

      Comment


      • #4
        Has anyone heard what may have fallen around Luce's or the Yentna Station?

        Comment


        • #5
          i talked to dave luce this afternoon and said no ash, and people were still freighting up the river. tom at bentalit lodge sent me a email with some pictures, and there is just a light dusting there. i'm heading up to my place behind benalit lodge for 9 days, and hope there is no more ash fall

          Comment


          • #6
            None Here!!!

            Willow doing just find so far! Been out all day grooming, none in sight!! But it did get up to 38 today! :cool:
            Trail Boss
            Willow Trail Committe
            ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
            To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Trapper Creek

              Any word on ash around trapper creek? I am planning on hauling supplies in this weekend but am wondering if it would be worth it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Go to the Anchorage Snowmobile Club website and click on Trail Reports. A couple of recent write ups on Trapper/Petersville area.

                We're headed up tonight and I'm going to haul this weekend too. I believe it is snowing right now and I plan to pull our grooming drag down the trail tonight and hopefully get the ash buried down in the snow on the trail. It might add to the wear on the hyfax but if it isn't blowing around I'm not too worried about it getting into the engine or bearings.

                I probably won't go playing around in the swamps after the hauling is done, however. It's really a shame, as it was really good up there last weekend.

                Comment


                • #9
                  See this link for pic from Yetena river below Skwetna.

                  http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=51285

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bad Ash In Big Lake

                    That ain't snow that's falling tonight...starting at about 1930 hours ash from one of today's eight eruptions from Mt Redoubt finally began falling...effectively ending the snowmachine season....that darn George Bush, he's been out of office for two months now and he's still causing bad stuff to happen...now it's cause he hates Eskimo's and their pies. The Obama is coming out next week to stuff a wad of newly printed greenbacks into the stink hole of that volcano and save us...too bad Tipper Gore ain't a virgin.
                    Natural Selection begins with you!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I rode from the Eureka road house out to monument, down to Tyrone creek, followed the creek to the Big Oshetna, up the little Oshetna to horse pasture pass and back to monument via the little Nelchina, on monday the 30th. There was a barely noticeable trace of ash on the ground throughout the entire 85 miles of our ride. On a plus note it was also snowing to beat the band north of the horn mountains and west of bare bones ridge.

                      Rode hatchers/archangel last night and had the same trace amounts of ash.
                      BHA Member
                      Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
                      The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rick P View Post
                        I rode from the Eureka road house out to monument, down to Tyrone creek, followed the creek to the Big Oshetna, up the little Oshetna to horse pasture pass and back to monument via the little Nelchina, on monday the 30th. There was a barely noticeable trace of ash on the ground throughout the entire 85 miles of our ride. On a plus note it was also snowing to beat the band north of the horn mountains and west of bare bones ridge.

                        Rode hatchers/archangel last night and had the same trace amounts of ash.
                        That's good to hear.
                        Today, I had just the opposite experience. I was awoke this morning before light and had to get started out on a Mercy Run. Even the new snow didn't help along the stretch on the Big Su and through the swamps I had to run. Ash was ever present and worse in some stretches than others, but nowhere was it good. Some places on the Big Su upon my return mid-day, were UGLY. I am not even sure how to describe it other than UGLY. I know what I will be doing tomorrow, and I ain't liking it.
                        "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                        ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I had a great day on the river today. Both the Su and Yentna have ash but it isn't that bad, and in most places you can steer to some of Friday night's new snow. The sun is working with the ash to soften things up, though. I'd expect the bumpy Su to get worse. As for now the Yentna is as flat and fast as I've ever seen it. Off the rivers the swamps and woods are in great shape.

                          Comment

                          Footer Adsense

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X