Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowmachine Winch

Someone asked me about my winch setup on my Scandic a few days ago but life got busy around here.

My machine has a built in 2" receiver hitch on the front. Since the machine is so heavy, I bought a 2500-pound winch for the machine since I mainly use it for cutting firewood, by myself. I have pulled down two widow makers with it. The brake on the machine won't keep the machine in place so best to chain the rear hitch to a tree for best results. (Trees were about 18-24")

I also put my wood hauling sled down in a creek bed, filled it up and winched it back up. Putting the machine down there was not the safest move. That worked great.

First year I also ran into a rut and laid it on its side. I did not have enough weight to man handle it back over. I ran the cable to a snack block on a tree 90 degrees to the sled, back to the rear of the sled. I was able to flip it back over, drove a couple feet still attached and everything was fine.

Winch has a battery disconnect so I can remove it. A connection on the side for a 50' remote switch. Handlebar mounted switch and an additional battery.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20211227_133509[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.1 KB ID:	2777909 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211227_133515[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	2777910

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211227_133521[1].jpg
Views:	217
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2777912 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211227_133528[1].jpg
Views:	200
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2777913
    The blue switch on the handlebars is the winch.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

That would certainly come in handy on a sled!
      I am the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to. - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Could you give some details on the battery set up? Did you mount it under the seat? Same size as the OEM battery? Thanks

Comment

Yes right under the seat right behind the other.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
            Yes right under the seat right behind the other.
            Dave- do you have it wired so it still gets charged by your alternator? Just wondering as I have seen folks wire winches separately and they take lots of juice.

Comment

Connected to the other battery so it is being charged by the alternator.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                Connected to the other battery so it is being charged by the alternator.
                it is really nice having a winch when you need it. I love our sleds, but there are times I really miss the old Tundra’s we had simply because they were so easy to move.

Comment

Originally posted by AKBEE View Post

Dave- do you have it wired so it still gets charged by your alternator? Just wondering as I have seen folks wire winches separately and they take lots of juice.
                  ((do you have it wired so it still gets charged by your alternator?))

Snowmobile manufacture designs there Alternator to power the electrical system with a few amps left over to charge a battery. This may not be enough to recharge a battery after using the winch. The only way to know is by using test equipment.

((I have seen folks wire winches separately))

Which is better two 12v battery in parallel powering the engine and winch or one battery going to the engine and the other powering the winch? One advantage of having a single battery going to the winch is when you are stuck and run the winch battery down you still can start the snowmobile. Giving you time to figure out a better way to get unstuck with using the winch.

(( they take lots of juice.))

According to the KFI 2500 winch draws 150 A @ 2500# pull with one rap around the spool @ 12v across the motor terminals. Because it is a motor, that does not mean it is limited to 150A you could easily draw 200A if your not careful killing the battery.

Comment

Adding a 2nd battery in parallel to increase the Ah’s is very common in snowmobile and ATV. Some of the reason are, not having enough space for a single larger battery or not wanting to throw away a perfectly good battery. Most people don’t realized there is a right way to parallel two batteries making it act as one. If you start having problems after 2 or 3 years it may be the batteries are not matched.

Comment

MacGyver:
                      You always make great posts/points that are informative and appreciated. My snowmachine winch is a portable Warn 1500lb that has connection wired to the single battery and allows for attaching to any point on the machine with straps. I like the ability to pull backwards as I have had to. Since my VK540’s are fan cooled, I leave it running when using the winch and take a break if it is taking a long time to get into a better spot. My trusty come-along with 150’ of line fits under the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
                        MacGyver:
                        . My snowmachine winch is a portable Warn 1500lb that has connection wired to the single battery and allows for attaching to any point on the machine with straps. I like the ability to pull backwards as I have had to. Since my VK540’s are fan cooled, I leave it running when using the winch and take a break if it is taking a long time to get into a better spot. My trusty come-along with 150’ of line fits under the seat.
                        I like your setup especially using the come-along for plan “B”.

Keeping the engine running is a good idea. But is no guarantee if the battery voltage drop below a certain voltage under load it can kill the engine. You may want to test that in the yard.

When the engine is idling most Alternator output are very low. Revving up the engine will charge the battery faster. If you want to see if revving the engine up makes a difference. Turn on the engine and headlight “on bright”. Note how “bright” they are. Now rev up the engine, Did the light get “brighter”.
                        Best to do it at night.

The down side is you will not know how much current going into the battery only that it's being charged.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

I like your setup especially using the come-along for plan “B”.

Keeping the engine running is a good idea. But is no guarantee if the battery voltage drop below a certain voltage under load it can kill the engine. You may want to test that in the yard.

When the engine is idling most Alternator output are very low. Revving up the engine will charge the battery faster. If you want to see if revving the engine up makes a difference. Turn on the engine and headlight “on bright”. Note how “bright” they are. Now rev up the engine, Did the light get “brighter”.
                          Best to do it at night.

The down side is you will not know how much current going into the battery only that it's being charged.

Thank you for the tips as always!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X