What do you carry in your toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you carry in your toolkit

My snow machines didn’t come with tool rolls. Can I see some examples of the tool kits you carry?

You need stuff that won't rust. If your machine needs a tool to compress the spring on the clutch to change the belt, that is tool #1. And you better be packing a spare belt. Not an old used one, a NEW one. And know how to change it. Spark plug wrench and some extra plugs. Pliers and an adjustable wrench. Leatherman. The strap used to start the engine from the clutch, and know how to do it for when your yoyo breaks. A folding saw to cut your way out of the brush and to get stuff out of the track and skis when it happens. On your person you carry the flash light, cell phone, I carry an emergency locater beacon. You could use a Spot or Inreach also. Cell phones don't always have coverage. Batteries go dead. It's nice to have spare gloves for when yours get wet. If your hands get cold warm them and the gloves up by holding them under the exhaust outlet with the engine running. Fastest way to warm them up. Fire starter. When I am riding on the Refuge way out in the boonies I often carry a flare gun. Why? Well suppose the weather socks in and they are looking for you. You can hear the chopper but due to weather they can't see you. Rope to use as a pull rope to get unstuck, or to drag out a disabled machine. Done that plenty of times. If you hook up real close, you don't need someone on the broke down machine steering. They can ride double on the running machine. It's a cold ride hunkered on a non-running machine with the snow kicking up.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I couldn't begin to count the number I times we have had a buddy ride along, and then when (not if) something broke, they didn't have squat with them. No extra belt, tools......nothing. Rather frustrating. They get to break in your new $100 belt. Say goodbye to your spark plugs. Their old lady wears your extra expensive gloves home and you never see them again. LOL. Oh well. At least no one died.

Comment

I agree with SmokeRoss with the new belt except want to add this. If your old belt is good. Do your first trip, come home and change to the new one at home. Keep the other as a spare. It is a lot easier to put on a slightly used belt than it is a stiff new one. On my new machine, I ran it for a 50 miles then changed to the new belt in the yard. Better to do it there than in a brush pile or in overflow. I know how to do it now and the first belt is more flexible.

I also have a deer hoist 6-part block pulley. Weighs nothing and it can pull 1,200 pounds. On my new machine, 700+ pounds, I have a 2,500 pound winch. I use that sled to harvest firewood. I hit a rut someone dug last year and the machine rolled on it's side. no way to right it. So I ran the winch cable over around a tree and pulled it right back over like nothing.

Equip for the condition you think you will encounter.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Bright surveyors tape to tie to tree or something if you are stuck and folks are looking for you. Easier to see fluttering tape from the air in nasty conditions (In addition to what others have said). Companies like crescent make nice folding toolkit that fits in my bag or in the sled. New belt, plugs, fuses, alligator clips, and come along fit under the seat. I also carry zip ties, wire and tape just in case a tree accident causes a need for cowling repair, etc.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. Are belts universal between snow machines? Also spark plugs are the same between brands say skidoo and Arctic cat? In regards to the pliers do you carry a leatherman, slip joint pliers, and vise grips? To keep the tools from rusting do you spray with wd40 or carry the tools in a pelican case? Do you always carry snow shoes with you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2001gocougs View Post
              Thank you for the suggestions. Are belts universal between snow machines? Also spark plugs are the same between brands say skidoo and Arctic cat? In regards to the pliers do you carry a leatherman, slip joint pliers, and vise grips? To keep the tools from rusting do you spray with wd40 or carry the tools in a pelican case? Do you always carry snow shoes with you?
              You need to buy a belt specific to your make and model. Lots of machines use the same plugs, but again make sure the ones you buy are for your machine. Buy the correct oil also. Machines with exhaust valves need special additives. IMO Royal Purple is NOT a good oil for 2 strokes. It separates at low temperatures. I know people that swear by it, but have had to rebuild their engine a couple times while I had no problems running Polaris Gold.

Comment

The tools that come in the kit with the machine are made or coated with material that doesn't rust. Yes on the Leatherman, and adjustable pliers. I don't carry vice grips. When I go out by myself I do often take along snow shoes depending on where I'm going. If I'll be riding packed trails that aren't remote, I don't take snow shoes.

Comment

Have you checked under the hood and in the back of the seat for a tool kit? Seems odd someone would remove a tool kit they may very well desperately need.

Comment

Put a flashlight in the pocket of your coat.

Comment

If you'd like to save a little money, check the snow machine salvage places for spare belts and likely even the tool kit.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X