Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Also new to snow-machining— where to go?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by NRick View Post

    Big Lake and Willow once they get the trails groomed and marked (they are working on it).

    Join the Anchorage Snowmobile Club (it's not that much). You can get a lot of info there including trail conditions.
    For a newbie sno-goer (and still being tested machine?), I'd put in a plug for Big Lake as a place to go: The trails at Big Lake aren't as remote as other areas and, being in SC Alaska, may be getting hammered with the recent rain, but one can go quite a ways, generally pretty benign terrain, there's usually people on the trails, and it's a do-able walk back to the lake and "civilization."

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by stillapa12drvr View Post

      For a newbie sno-goer (and still being tested machine?), I'd put in a plug for Big Lake as a place to go: The trails at Big Lake aren't as remote as other areas and, being in SC Alaska, may be getting hammered with the recent rain, but one can go quite a ways, generally pretty benign terrain, there's usually people on the trails, and it's a do-able walk back to the lake and "civilization."
      Make sure you have a cell phone with you and ride with another person, also make sure you have a lighter with you in case you need to warm up with a fire.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by hunter1951 View Post
        Make sure you have a cell phone with you and ride with another person, also make sure you have a lighter with you in case you need to warm up with a fire.
        Tip the snow machine on it's side, loosen the gas cap and throw a match at it.
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

        Comment


        • #19
          I take my PLB with me. Haven't had to activate it yet.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

          Comment


          • #20
            Find a club it is the best way to find out where to go an be safe , or better yet go to a couple of clubs it is cheep

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Sid View Post
              Find a club it is the best way to find out where to go an be safe , or better yet go to a couple of clubs it is cheep

              this is a great club with some very fun group rides

              https://lakelouisesnowmachineclub.com/events

              Comment


              • #22
                Getting stuck this last week and spending quite a while digging and winching just reinforces the overall sensibility of not riding alone. It helps being prepared and having recovery gear, but with the sun going down and a heavy machine buried on a hillsideI had me wishing for a buddy to help. I should have ridden up the hill to break trail prior to pulling a sled on the sugar snow with iced glazing, but I thought I would make it...till I didn’t. Be prepared and try not to ride alone!

                Comment


                • #23
                  On a side hill you can roll the machine over. Since the front is larger than the back, with one roll it will be facing down hill.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I would sure avoid sledding in Turnagain pass till end of July. Some may remember the day that five people died in a single avalanche right at the parking lot for snow machines.
                    "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

                    Comment

                    Footer Adsense

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X