This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Good judgment, of course, is more important but I wasn't there and I don't know how obvious the signs were of avalanche so I'm not going to criticize.
    Pictures of the hillside are up on KTUU where the searchers had drawn the location of the found snowmachine and avalache spill area. It is quite clear that it is prime avalanche terrain and they were on a hillside. Being in the Grandview area pretty much means you're in avalanche terrain no matter where you ride.

In order for anyone to learn anything from events like this, they must be reminded of the most basic truth... good judgement and attention to terrain and weather would have prevented these deaths. All it would take is for someone to step up and say, "that isn't a safe area to ride in today, let's go somewhere else".

Having a beacon on you does NOT guarantee you will be safe. Not going into that terrain during poor conditions is what will keep you safe. Yes, it is still good to use beacons. But without avoidance, you turn the beacon into nothing but a body recovery device.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

• Originally posted by JOAT View Post
      In order for anyone to learn anything from events like this, they must be reminded of the most basic truth... good judgement and attention to terrain and weather would have prevented these deaths. All it would take is for someone to step up and say, "that isn't a safe area to ride in today, let's go somewhere else".
      Great point. I watched a video on avalanche recently and it had one part that was completely right on- it said in a group situation if ONE person votes NO on an area, it's a group vote. I think that should be critical for any group. And it should be agreed on up front, so that the group doesn't pressure the NO voter to change their mind. We had a situation over the summer where I was the one "No" vote on an ATV ride (We were at the back of Boulder Creek and my group wanted to ride back out through Chitna pass into Pinochle and out that way because they didn't want to do the rocky terrain again. I voted no- I felt we would get into some pretty nasty terrain and possibly even into impassable snow -it was early in the season- and I felt a lot of pressure from my group to change my mind.) So I do think that it needs to be agreed up front that a no vote is instantly respected as a group vote, if one rider feels that an area isn't safe.
      "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Comment

• Not trying to be a "richard" but can we keep this thread on track with current snow reports? Thanks.

Comment

• I second that. With that said, are there any report on summit or cantwell? Is there going to be enough snow for arctic man?

Comment

• Denali Highway snow report 2/18/10

We had crew ride in last night, and it was snowing heavily from Cantwell to Mile 68. They said the ride was Excellent! Threre is NO bare spots anywhere, and snow cover is decent. Currently, we are under snow, and keeping our fingers crossed. There is a weather advisory for the Parks Highway West for snow and rain. We expect to stay with snow, as we have the Talkeetna Mountains separating us from the warm air to the South to some degree. We put daily weather updates on our website, facebook, myspace and twitter also.

For weather on the East end of the highway, don't hesitate to contact Al and Sue at Maclaren River Lodge. I'm sure they would be more then happy to help you out. To see their weather cam, click here: http://www.maclarenlodge.com/webcam.htm

Here is the link to the forecast and advisory: http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Ca...ck=htmlSticker

Here's the link to the satellite loop for Alaska. It pretty much shows you what is going on today.
            http://www.arh.noaa.gov/satloop.php?...es&sector=4gvf

Good Luck and good riding!!

Claude
            Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Comment

• Originally posted by AkHunter45 View Post
              Not trying to be a "richard" but can we keep this thread on track with current snow reports? Thanks.
              Dangerous avalanche conditions certainly do qualify as "snow reports".
              Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

• am i seeing this correct, it was 45F in cantwell today??? oh no! http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Ca...ck=htmlSticker
                Semper Fi!

Comment

• crazy weather!

Yeah, it's crazy! We've been hitting upper 30's at the lodge and we are 67 miles East of Cantwell at 3200'. We had clients go in yesterday who said the trail was great! But I'm worried that if we have a few more days of this its going to deteriorate quickly. We'll post if things go bad.

Comment

• heavy wet snow and trashed trails this weekend at petersville! i believe my kidneys and snowmachine are making a few extra noises now.. was some deep wet snow in the back country though.. easy to get stuck but fun.

This is the alaska trick, the big warm up before the giant dump of snow, then spring.. dont forget folks.. weve seen this plenty of times.
                    Semper Fi!

Comment

• Originally posted by JOAT View Post
                      Dangerous avalanche conditions certainly do qualify as "snow reports".
                      Talking about beacons and other things avalanche related should be for the discussion portion of this forum, not in the snow reports section. Maybe posting it in the trail reporsts section would be even better.

Comment

• Originally posted by AkHunter45 View Post
                        Talking about beacons and other things avalanche related should be for the discussion portion of this forum, not in the snow reports section. Maybe posting it in the trail reporsts section would be even better.
                        I apologize for my thread drift.
                        "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Comment

• Snow Report Denali Highway 2/23

We had about an inch of new snow the last couple of days. Riding is great coming in from Cantwell. Not sure about Paxson end. Here is the morning weather:

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

16 Degrees, 84% Humidity, No Wind, and Clear....Winter temps are back!! Trail is still good for riding in!

Good Luck and happy riding this weekend!!

Claude

Comment

• Cantwell - Mile 191

Went to Cantwell on Sunday from Fairbanks. Amost the entire way down it looked like it might be a turn-back-around trip. But, once we got to mile marker 191...the snow was AWESOME! Deep powder all over the place and also a good base. Went a few miles east towards the mountains and never ran out of good riding.

Comment

• Denali Highway Trail

Guest just came off the Denali Highway trail and reported 3-4 inches of fresh snow all the way out and it is still snowing. Trail is in great shape!
                              Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

Comment

• Palmer Creek

Palmer Creek riding is awesome. Aout 5' to 7' of base and 20" of fresh snow. We have had the best riding the last three weeks that I have experience in the past 40 years. It is 14 miles to the very back of the valley. We have been doing 45 to 65 miles per day back there. Be Safe.
                                "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X