Current Snow Conditions on the Denali Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Snow Conditions on the Denali Highway

Any body have any reports? Thinking about heading up there in the next few weeks.

Low snow for the first 20 miles in from Cantwell, the there is plenty to ride on the road from there out. That was last week. It can change overnight.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

As of last week: It's really thin until 17 Mile Hill (MP117) but from there it's rideable and gets better as you head further east. There is a gravel pit/pullout at MP120 which, for the time being, can be driven to.

Make sure you have scratchers on your sled.

But since you're not planning to ride for a few weeks, given that it's the middle of winter it'd probabaly be best to check in a few weeks.
      If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

Originally posted by Erik in AK View Post
        Make sure you have scratchers on your sled.
        Thanks for the report, and please excuse my ignorance, but what is a scratcher? I am assuming it has something to do with the lack of snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
          Thanks for the report, and please excuse my ignorance, but what is a scratcher? I am assuming it has something to do with the lack of snow.
          Never mind. I looked it up. Good idea.

Comment

Snow is not too bad. I just ticked over 1000 miles on my snow machine for the season! If you find the ATV trails, the riding is great for getting around if your predator hunting or bird hunting. Not ready for boon docking or high marking yet. Snow is thin still as noted above, but as noted, that can change overnight. I've been all the way to the end of Valdez Mine Road, Windy Creek Trail, Sheep Valley/Upper Watana, and part ways up Butte Creek Trail, plus any other ones. Good luck and happy riding!
            Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Comment

Thanks for the update. Hope to be able to get up that way after the 'holidays' are over with. It appears that the temps have been good also. I have been watching the weather cam that you have set up and it appears that the temps there have also been nice. Maybe even a little warm!

Originally posted by denalihunter View Post
              Snow is not too bad. I just ticked over 1000 miles on my snow machine for the season! If you find the ATV trails, the riding is great for getting around if your predator hunting or bird hunting. Not ready for boon docking or high marking yet. Snow is thin still as noted above, but as noted, that can change overnight. I've been all the way to the end of Valdez Mine Road, Windy Creek Trail, Sheep Valley/Upper Watana, and part ways up Butte Creek Trail, plus any other ones. Good luck and happy riding!

Comment

Any current reports? I never did make it up there like I was hoping too. Got caught up doing other things closer to home. Anyhow, my wife and I are thinking about heading up that direction for Valentine's day weekend. Any current reports would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

The snow is pretty thin, but is passable on the road, ATV trails, etc. Off trail boondocking is challenging to put it lightly. If you are going into Alpine Creek Lodge, the Denali Highway is SUPER smooth and fast to get in. Enough snow to keep things cool after the first five miles from Cantwell. Just need scratchers for that first 5 miles on most machines, but my 4 stroke Bearcat didn't need them.
                  Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

Originally posted by AKDoug View Post
                    The snow is pretty thin, but is passable on the road, ATV trails, etc. Off trail boondocking is challenging to put it lightly. If you are going into Alpine Creek Lodge, the Denali Highway is SUPER smooth and fast to get in. Enough snow to keep things cool after the first five miles from Cantwell. Just need scratchers for that first 5 miles on most machines, but my 4 stroke Bearcat didn't need them.
                    Thanks man. I'd give a rep if I could.

Comment

Alright Claude, anyone? How's the snow shaping up? Get any from this last storm?

Comment

I checked the weather cam for Alpine Creek and it looked like they got some more snow. At least there appears to be some new snow on the shed roof.
                        Originally posted by alaskankid13 View Post
                        Alright Claude, anyone? How's the snow shaping up? Get any from this last storm?

Comment

It's piling up! About 10" to 12" now in the last 30 hours. Still coming down, but seems to be tapering off. Hasn't been any traffic in from Cantwell in the last couple of days, so should be 65 miles of fresh powder riding! Let's keep it coming!

Comment

Be there Thursday. Maybe Wednesday night if I'm feeling froggy. BTW those bifocal glasses with the crappy wire repair are mine. Forgot 'em last time.
                            If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

Snow!

Went 6 miles East yesterday and there is a solid 18" of fresh snow on the highway down there! Most of the brush has covered now! If it wasn't so darn cold right now, I'd be down there. -22 right now, but clear skies. Supposed to warm up all week, so should be great by the weekend!

Claude

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X