Angle iron for snowmobile trail drag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle iron for snowmobile trail drag?

Am starting to build a snowmobile trail drag for use this winter. Looking for angle iron (like 1/8” x 2”). I know I can get it at AK Steel in Anchorage. But is there anywhere in Anchorage or the Valley that sells scraps? I don’t care if they have some rust or not or have been used. Any ideas? Thanks.

Greatland welding on the Palmer/Wasilla hwy.

http://www.greatlandwelding.com/

Comment

Check out Grants recycling at PW hwy and 49th street, right by the dump.
      They will sell scrap by the # as well as buy it.

Last time I dropped some stuff I also bought some al. pretty cheap, might have something you could use.
      BK
      BK Marine Services 232-6399
      Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
      Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
      Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Weld air in wasilla sells new material. Not sure on where to get used stuff. If you need a good drag/groomer design let me know, I have quite a few running around on the Su/Yentna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a 4' piece of 2x2 angle at AIH when I built my drag. I think Home Dep and Lowes also sells small stuff in the 4' size....

Comment

Not knowing the design or size of the drag, 1/8 seam a little light. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by akriverunner View Post
              Weld air in wasilla sells new material. Not sure on where to get used stuff. If you need a good drag/groomer design let me know, I have quite a few running around on the Su/Yentna.

Would you elaborate? I'd like to pull one behind my firewood sled to help keep things smooth, have heard of a few different designs

Comment

2x2" angle 1/8" thick is perfect

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Lowe's & HD don't sell pieces over 4 to 6'. And I need side pieces that are 8'. I'm going to check out Grants and greatland. Akriver ... I know you make good ones. But I like to make my own stuff ... cuz making stuff keeps me out of trouble! ;-)

Comment

You can buy remnants at Alaska Steel. People buy a piece and have it cut top length. The remnant goes back on the shelf.
                    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I'm not trying to sell them anymore, don't have the time. Just letting you know I can give you the design if you want it. The size I found that works best is 5'x10'. I normally bought 6-10' sticks of angle and one 10' stick of 4"x 3/16" thick flat bar for the cut and fill blades.

Comment

Good info here. Akriverrunner I would sure like to see the design.
                        Thanks

Comment

Greer Tank.

Comment

Me too Akriverrunner. If you have a pic of one of your drags ... that would be interesting to see. Thanks.

Comment

I don't have a pic of one right now but as soon as it snows I'm building a 7'x10' to pull behind my tracked SxS

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X