No announcement yet.

Need advice from those in the know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice from those in the know....

Okay, I'm looking to buy a new sled and my purposes will be riding with the Wife, chasing Ptarmigan and predators, spring bear and the like. My introduction to sleds was a 1990 Polaris Supertrak that took me wherever IT wanted to go in the powder. Granted I was new to sleds so whether it was me or the sled I could not tame it.
    For the last 15 years now I have been riding my old Panther that I restored and modified...it's very light and I have no problems with breaking trail on it but it's an old springer and it does get old on the body at times.
    My personal choices at this time with what Internet searching I have done is either the Tundra or the Expedition Sport. Weight is a concern as well as cold weather starting and over heating if snow is on the low side.
    I think as far as motors go the 600 e-tec is out because of the overheat possibility, the 550 fan would be great but the ace motors perk my interest too. Until I get home from the Slope I will not see one in person so I'm unsure if the Ace motors have a heat exchanger or a little radiator/fan.....or mabey even both?
    Also if the Ace is the ticket do I sacrifice 21 pounds to upgrade to the 900 or not worth it? I was thinking Tundra then see a few opinions that the Expedition without the seat is a better option which I assume is because of the front a arms in place of the Tundra pogo's...... Any thoughts?

So you get an idea of what my comfort level has been these past years this is my daily rider stiff ride and all. I can't get rid of it but I'm ready to reserve it to the occasional vintage ride If I can figure out a new sled that will get me there and back without constant stucks in the waist deep slow stuff chasing animals.

Comment

Cwoods,

Just my 2 cents: I run Artic Cats – I’ve got the Bearcatwhich is a sport/utility sled and the wife runs the T570. I’m sold on the 570 fan – bullet proof so far. Both machines have plenty of power, light and have zero issue cutting trail in the fluffy stuff and above all, their comfortable, lots of travel front and rear. Both machines have 1, 2 and 3 up seating options, standard electric/pullstart, push button reverse, heated grips, and lots of aftermarket upgrades.

I’ve had no cold weather starting issues, at least not at-30. I’ve never had any overheating issues with either machine during long runs, hauling freight or just playing hard.

Good luck on your search – lots of good machines on the market and you should have no issues on finding what you need/want. I looked hard at the Expedition as well. What’s your budget? Hopefully, some others will chime in.

Comment

I own an 08 tundra 550f and a 2011 exp sport 600ACE.
        I prefer the expedition with the quiet and fuel efficient ACE motor. Well worth the price to upgrade.
        I'm not a fan of the pogo suspension and I'm glad my tundra doesn't have it.
        Then again I'm not trapping in brushy or hummock country.
        You really can't go wrong for your needs with the exp. sport.
        I ice fish and trail ride mostly but the 16x154x1.5 track does well off trail also. No it doesn't have the power of the Etec but I haven't needed it yet for my riding.
        I don't highmark or hillclimb. But towing a loaded sled with my stepson behind me is not a problem.
        Playing around in off trail powder isn't a problem either.
        Skidoo makes one good machine.
        Guess that's why they've outsold the competition for over 10 years now.
        "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

I will give the Bearcats a closer look, I have heard the 570 is somewhat low on power with poor fuel milage but that's just Internet info....
          Also sounds like the 600 ace impresses you Kasilof, do you think the 900 ace would be worth the Xtra 21lbs?
          I have to say the Tundra Xtreme has kinda perked my interest but with the 600 etec being water cooled I just don't know.....how easy would it overheat in low snow conditions? I've always been a fan cooled user so not alot of experience with the water pumpers.....sounds like that e tec does sip fuel though.

Comment

cwoods,
            Cooling issues are easliy remedied by installing a set of scratchers....non-issue in my opinion.
            BK
            BK Marine Services 232-6399
            Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
            Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
            Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

I was just thinking of the times on my old sled now when searching for spring bear skipping across snowless patches of tundra.... that would be a small percentage of my yearly riding though.

Comment

Maybe upgrade the track on your old machine, although that won't improve the ride. I sure like the rider position on the machines made in the last 8-10 years. I'd say stick to fan cooled for what you're doing, and perhaps consider a 4 stroke if fuel economy is an issue.
                You couldn't make this old man get back on a trailing arm machine if you put a gun to my head. The ride on these new machines is that much better.
                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

The 600ETEC is the way to go in my opinion. Do not count it out for cooling issues at all. With scratchers on it can go in any packed snow or ice conditions. And you will find it in the best snowmobiles too !

Comment

This is an easy decision for me. The SWT Skandic with the 600 ETEC. I've ridden a ton of different machines and own 10 myself. The bearcat 1100 is just too heavy for me, and does not do well in deep snow. I have a 570 bearcat also, which does better. But I spent a winter using a UAF 600 ETEC SWT and it was a dream. We put in a 100 miles a day in the backcountry for 100 days, and I only got stuck twice, both my fault. The thing started every time. Plenty of power and plenty of flotation for any surface your dealing with. Yeah, it's heavy compared to many, but if you don't get stuck it don't matter. Mileage ran 16 to 20 mpg riding in deep snow all the time.

Anyhow, that's what I have concluded… now if I can just get the money to buy one this fall…

Claude
                    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Comment

Love my 600 ACE in my WT Skandic. Liquid cooled. More power than I have needed to date. Over 20 mpg is sweet. SkiDoo hit this one out of the park.

Waiting for SNOW! }:>
                      Live life and love it
                      Love life and live it

Comment

Following this conversation with interest. I only ride a couple times each winter, so thus far have just borrowed machines now and then. That said, with my boys at 4 and 6, I imagine I'll be getting out more. The riding style will be the same - primarily bird and predator hunting like the OP here.

Claude, you had me pretty well sold on the Bearcat 570 last year. Don't confuse me with a change of opinion!

Comment

I haven't ridden a 900 ACE but I think I would l would likely buy one if buying a new machine today.
                          My 600 does have tunnel cooling as well as a radiator and fan that kicks on when it gets hot.
                          Like it was said earlier mpg's are great. I get 21 mpg on mine vs 10-11 on my 550f in identical conditions with the same suspension and track. And no need to carry injection oil.
                          No smell either and extremely quiet so that's a plus for hunting.
                          Not only do you save $$$ on gas but you don't often have to carry gas jugs. We fuel my tundra when I'm at ~1/2 a tank.
                          Its has lots of torque and I can putt around at 5 mph loooking for game etc. Never seen another machine do that.
                          I love the ACE motor.
                          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by bullbuster View Post
                            Love my 600 ACE in my WT Skandic. Liquid cooled. More power than I have needed to date. Over 20 mpg is sweet. SkiDoo hit this one out of the park.

Waiting for SNOW! }:>
                            Another vote for the Skandic and I wasn't even considering it. Hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                              I haven't ridden a 900 ACE but I think I would l would likely buy one if buying a new machine today.
                              My 600 does have tunnel cooling as well as a radiator and fan that kicks on when it gets hot.
                              Like it was said earlier mpg's are great. I get 21 mpg on mine vs 10-11 on my 550f in identical conditions with the same suspension and track. And no need to carry injection oil.
                              No smell either and extremely quiet so that's a plus for hunting.
                              Not only do you save $$$ on gas but you don't often have to carry gas jugs. We fuel my tundra when I'm at ~1/2 a tank.
                              Its has lots of torque and I can putt around at 5 mph loooking for game etc. Never seen another machine do that.
                              I love the ACE motor.
                              The slow speed operations of the Ace sound like they may be right up my alley....it's all getting a little confusing on what would suit my needs, the Skandic just seems plain heavy at 670 but if it floats it floats. I just got home from work, I'll probably be at the dealer eye balling first thing tomorrow. More input?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X