No announcement yet.

Finally got a new bike...29er TRACTOR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a new bike...29er TRACTOR!

Last summer (after piles and piles of miles) my wife retired my beloved, worn out, 10yr old Novara and sold it in a yard sale... Intending on buying me a new one for Father's Day. Long story short- lots of crap happened and I went bikeless last year.

Finally corrected that yesterday- got a Specialized Rockhopper 29er. I can't believe this thing. It climbs like a tractor... what a difference! Hydraulic disc brakes, mega low gearing, huge wheels rolling over the rough stuff. Just wow. I can't believe how much better this bike is than my old one- for about the same money!

Anything in particular to watch for with all this new fangled technology?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I got a 29" "Overdrive" last year and love.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Are 29" bikes suitable for those of us with a short inseam, just longer than said wheels?

From what little I have read it appears that 29" bikes are really suited for those with longer legs. I need to look into it more, but was wondering what you folks that have been riding them think.

Comment

Originally posted by AK Ray View Post
        Are 29" bikes suitable for those of us with a short inseam, just longer than said wheels?

From what little I have read it appears that 29" bikes are really suited for those with longer legs. I need to look into it more, but was wondering what you folks that have been riding them think.
        NO, they offer most all frame sizes. It is just the tire & Wheel that are larger.
        "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

The important thing is the stand-over height. Some you fill find too tall for someone with a short inseam. Others will be fine. When you look at a 29-inch bike just check the geometry compared to your inseam.

Comment

I had to get a smaller frame than I normally ride- on a 26" bike I use a 21" frame and I'm 5'11, on my 29" I bought a 19" frame. Fits about the same overall.

The 29" wheels feel a bit awkward handling at first but the different ride quickly makes up for it.
            "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Finally got it out for a decent road test... the 3 miles of pipeline corridor were a muddy, slushy mess and the 29" bike felt a little clumsy but rolled over obstacles nicely. The ride back on the highway in high gear was incredible- those big wheels really made a high speed ride very stable, even in a stiff wind. Top speed on level ground would leave my old 26" sucking wind big time.

I think I'm gonna like this thing- a lot.

Comment

I've got the same bike and I dig it.

Comment

I've put about 200 miles on it since that last post and the more I ride it the better I like it.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X