Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dark Side

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Dark Side

    I suppose each sport has a Dark Side. I experienced the Dark Side of Dog Mushing, first hand today. I met a musher disposing of some of the dogs culled from his kennel along the road leading to my house. Disgusting. I asked him how many he culled. He said it takes about 30 dogs to get a good one. The ravens were pleased though. I don't think I had the stomach for it, even in my younger years. Do other mushers have a remedy for this, or is it just a common way of developing a kennel of winners?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  • #2
    30:1!!??

    that's absurd.
    i never bred dogs, as there are so many available (my team was the "poster dog" team at the animal shelter), but if this guy is going through the dogs at that rate he is breeding dogs that should not be bred, doesn't know how to train dogs, and should not be allowed to own dogs.
    horribly irresponsible.
    if you got the guys name it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the authorities do a "welfare check" on his kennel.
    Last edited by homerdave; 11-06-2006, 11:50. Reason: typo
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

    Comment


    • #3
      Animal abuse

      That is just plain animal abuse and needs to be turned in.

      I have seen bad mushers before. I was in Shaktoolik for the 2,000 Iditrod. A musher that had been banned for eight years was running again for the first time since the ban. As he was leaving the village, myself and a village resident, guided the team back through the village onto the ice and the trail. The dogs just plain quit on him. He changed lead dogs four times and not one would run. The musher eventually walked to Koyuk and quit.

      Sorry, but breeding dogs to get 1 good one out of 30 is absurd.

      Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans


      Comment


      • #4
        Akres... roughly where do you live. I've never seen evidence of culling by death in any of the mushers I do business with or are friends with. Lots of dogs are culled, but most are given away to other mushers or as pets.
        Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

        Comment

        Footer Adsense

        Collapse
        Working...
        X