Novelist needs background info on sled dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annelie View Post
    ...I'll definitely check on mating seasons of the larger animals in the arctic and if there are any data indicating changes indicted by climate change.
    Keep in mind too, that with all the buzz about climate change and the resulting avalanche of folks wanting to capitalize on that (in terms of recognition or money- sometimes both), there is a LOT of junk science floating around out there.
    Michael Strahan
    Site Owner
    Alaska Hunt Consultant
    1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

I know. It's quite depressing how many ****ty papers are out there (in any field). I'm an environmental scientist for 20 years now and much in that job goes against my grain by now (that's why I'm quitting it). Sorry about my funny english (it seems weirder today than usual) - I'm not a native speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Annelie View Post
        I know. It's quite depressing how many ****ty papers are out there (in any field). I'm an environmental scientist for 20 years now and much in that job goes against my grain by now (that's why I'm quitting it). Sorry about my funny english (it seems weirder today than usual) - I'm not a native speaker.
        Oh, I see. Didn't catch your background (that's what I get for not reading the whole thread, eh? I share your frustration about people who cannot seem to stick to straight science on this stuff. Speculation is great because it takes us to where we can start to make some qualified guesses, but it needs to be characterized as such. Unfortunately greed and / or the human ego often trumps good, solid work, and the masses end up falling for the latest sensation instead.
        Michael Strahan
        Site Owner
        Alaska Hunt Consultant
        1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
          Oh, I see. Didn't catch your background (that's what I get for not reading the whole thread, eh?
          Ha! Don't worry. I don't think I mentioned it anywhere in that thread.
          The straight science thing is really difficult, because the academic culture promotes what looks cool/hot/sexy. No one wants to know all the things that don't work out the way we hypothesised they would.
          Also: scientists never solve problems, we only study them. And that bothers me big time.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X