Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IO-470, not injected (yea I know the I in IO stands for injected), Nordland conversion (Canadian), gravity feed fuel and carburator, simple, they plug the injector sites and it is still 9.6 to 1 compression ratio instead of 8 to 1. Cheepest way to get more ponys, downside is the 100 LL & had to swap my perfictly good McCulley C-203 for a C-230. Jim Detlinger in Chugiak did it for me but he sold his business this last year. Climbout is 1500 ft per min and cruise is 140Kts at 7,000 ft. 22 mfp 2200 rpm. This is even with a nasty XpMod tailwheel. Birchwood to Illianma, ... hour and thirty .... woo hoo

100 ll is Way cheaper than 150 gal of hightest boat gas ..... haha

Comment

Some quick research supports what I was told about IO-470 ...
      1. Q.Are fuel injected engines approved?
      2. A. We do not have an STC for any engine with Bendix fuel injection. Continental fuel injection is approved - 0-470 -J or -K (225hp). The 260hp I0-470 and 285hp I0-520 are also approved but we no longer support this series of STC.

Comment

Originally posted by ocnfish View Post
        Some quick research supports what I was told about IO-470 ...
        1. Q.Are fuel injected engines approved?
        2. A. We do not have an STC for any engine with Bendix fuel injection. Continental fuel injection is approved - 0-470 -J or -K (225hp). The 260hp I0-470 and 285hp I0-520 are also approved but we no longer support this series of STC.
        Can you simplify that for us slow folk?

My existing 0-470k does 140-mph 23 squared..Climbout abt the same. Maybe 1200-fpm normal.

Haven't done Illiamna yet this season but will before the crow flies.

Just don't see what you got 'cept shelling out some bucks?

Rick

Comment

Did not mean to sidetrack / hijack thread ....

My O-470 was overhaulled in 92 and was perfect up until summer 2007. It had about 800 hours on it and I was nerverous about the amount of years on that engine. Looked at a lot of options for engine upgrade because I guess some would call me rich. However I always seek value (what you get vs what you pay with an eye on quality) in all that I do. The High compression version of the 470 with about $1500 for the Nordland STC was to me the greatest "value" out there. All of the others had me looking at a $50,000.00 bill and a plane that is nose heavy. We both own the early 1600 lb empty weight light ones. This deal cost about $30,000.00 for the IO-470 case overhaul and new prop. I was going to overhaul anyway and why not upgrade horse power to what the early C-185 and Cherokee 6 / 260 had in a lighter airframe. I have not put the plane on floats but Jim Detlinger has and he say's the performance is way better than good, great.

Just a few choices I made, looked like a good idea at the time and I smile every time I push the throttle to the fire wall. The cost of fuel was a minor consideration.

Comment

[QUOTE=ocnfish;978812]Did not mean to sidetrack / hijack thread ....

My O-470 was overhaulled in 92 and was perfect up until summer 2007. It had about 800 hours on it and I was nerverous about the amount of years on that engine. Looked at a lot of options for engine upgrade because I guess some would call me rich. However I always seek value (what you get vs what you pay with an eye on quality) in all that I do. The High compression version of the 470 with about $1500 for the Nordland STC was to me the greatest "value" out there. All of the others had me looking at a $50,000.00 bill and a plane that is nose heavy. We both own the early 1600 lb empty weight light ones. This deal cost about $30,000.00 for the IO-470 case overhaul and new prop. I was going to overhaul anyway and why not upgrade horse power to what the early C-185 and Cherokee 6 / 260 had in a lighter airframe. I have not put the plane on floats but Jim Detlinger has and he say's the performance is way better than good, great.

Comment

new thread ya'll..see abv.

Comment

Back to the Real Topic. Suburban Propane $5.03/g 100LL Yesterday.

Comment

today petro marine on the spit just dropped the price to $4.79 +sales tax, Homer is doing good for gas priceing.

Comment

Suburban Propane Today was $4.83/g 100LL

Comment

Bringing the thread back to life. Suburban Propane on Friday was $5.07. Apparently it went up from $4.94 on Monday. All for 100LL.

Comment

$5.05 for 200 gallons delivered last week from AK Aerofuel to Chena Marina. Fairbanks Fuel said they won't deliver AvGas until April.

Comment

$8.49 today at Egli Air Haul in King Salmon.
                          14 Days to Alaska
                          Also available on Kindle and Nook

Comment

Paid 6.90 today at Bermuda dunes, California. 5.25 in Tucson.

Comment

$6.61 at Merrill Field. As if the price to fill the 185 wasnt enough, I just bought a 500 gallon tank to install at the house. Its really going to hurt when I fill that thing.

Comment

I just filled up at Merrill this evening at the self serve by Transient Charlie parking, and it was $5.69/gal.
                                14 Days to Alaska
                                Also available on Kindle and Nook

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X