Saw a Bent Super Cub...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RocketRick View Post
    Right,,,Even Donald Trump can stretch for a point. Thing is he knows the difference.

Having a backup Comm system is a **** good idee whether you agree or not.

Rick
    ???????????

You got me I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by AK-HUNT View Post
      ???????????

You got me I guess.
      Ak_Hunt,

The only reason your guessing is you don't want admit that you DO NOT have a com backup system. No prob mate.

It's a good idea & I hope you follow thru..

Yeah let's let testosterone get in the say of sound safety principles.

Fact is,... I grew up hunting and trapping. I can cut it!

Let your balls get ahead of your head and you have a problem.

Rick

Comment

Me too. ?????????

My com backup system says Iridium on it. I used to carry an Icom handheld but I never used it. Had dual radios once and never used that. Fancy pictures sell lots of goofy stuff that guys won't ever need. Less is more.

Comment

Folks I need to jump in on this...I flew search and rescue for a long time and also worked as a Senior Watch Officer in the JRCC..406 alert gets an immediate response...My own airplane monitors 121.5 for a lot of reasons including former life as SAR dog...and my backup also says Iridium, (northern lights plan)...

When I go out in the ocean on a charter...I always ask the skipper if they have a 406 beacon, when I go hunting I have my SPOT or Satphone depending how far away I am headed...I can't emphasis enough that the SAR folks looking for you have a lot of tools in their bag of tricks, but the 406 is the quickest way to get someone out there...Semper Paratus

Comment

Lots of interesting comments and opinions here. I do know for certain that if there was an A/C slung into Hood, it was not the one from which the pilot was rescued at Beluga Lake.

I also know, or at least have it on exceptionally good authority, that at least one major airline with a strong presence in Alaska does not in fact routinely monitor 121.5. They are normally tuned to company and center frequencies.

Some will disagree with me, but I see a big difference between a snowmachiner or hiker who goes out completely unprepared and takes chances because they know they can call for help on a cell or sat phone, and someone who is extremely well-prepared.

I presume that the pilot in this instance probably wished he had a sat phone after the 2nd or 3rd night in the snow, but on the other hand he was prepared and able to walk at least 25 miles to where the helo picked him up, and he was virtually none the worse for the wear.

I also agree about the RCC and the Guard. Those men and women are the best in the business.

Finally, after 27 years of flying in Alaska, I am 100% in agreement with Mr. Pid's philosophy - sometimes you burn gas without knowing where you are going. That's why I fly.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketRick View Post
              Ak_Hunt,

The only reason your guessing is you don't want admit that you DO NOT have a com backup system. No prob mate.

It's a good idea & I hope you follow thru..

Yeah let's let testosterone get in the say of sound safety principles.

Fact is,... I grew up hunting and trapping. I can cut it!

Let your balls get ahead of your head and you have a problem.

Rick
              Rick,
              The fact that I don't understand your Donald Trump rant, (nor the anti-military/anti-rescue organization rant) has nothing to do with my testicles, but if you are asking me on a date, I decline.

Maybe you can help me understand, sir:

1. What is your backup comm system powered off of? Is it on its own bus? What powers this bus? Is it a handheld? Do you just have two comms? If so, that's not at all backup comm. I really would like to understand what you are saying.

2. I do not have a "backup" comm system in either of my aircraft. You are correct. And I'm not planning to add one because the money is better spent elsewere. (maybe spidertracks, or satphone) It is actually because I have a pretty thorough understanding of "sound safety princples" as you put it. I am disagreeing with you what those are. Maybe explain it clearer and I'll understand.

3. I grew up hunting and trapping too. I can cut it too. I do not know if that makes me a better pilot. Likely not.

I (we) are trying to point out that clearly the best option is a 406 beacon if you want to come home. Satphone, spidertracks, spot, PLB are secondaries. All of those and a "backup comm system" may be of limited use when you are unconscious/incapacitated or the airplane is burnt/sunk/otherwise destroyed. Of course that is just my opinion. If you don't agree, ok.

I base my opinion (not guessing as you said) on the fact that I work in the SAR career field. I know, you don't think any of the agencies should be funded anyway. I read your rant on that too.

Good luck, Rick.
              I still hope you reconsider the backup comm thing and run a 406 so someone can find you should you make a mistake.

I will keep an eye on my balls.

Kevin

Comment

Kevin,

Yeah that post was a little over the top. Sorry about that. I apologize if it offended.

Well I appreciate your and PIDS and IndyCzar and Akcub49s insights and advice concerning rescue and the tools to make it happen. It indeed could save my life. Thanks again.

I think I posted earlier that the http://www.cessna.org Avionics forum is putting together a group buy on the ACK 406/121.5 MHz ELT. I just have the 121.5 Mhz now but am on the group list.

Certification Completed- E-04 406 ELT's will be available shortly!

March 10th 2011

The Sat phone is a great idea. Thanks. I'll look into that one.

I just have dual coms now but may get a backup hand held just in case.

I know 2 pilots for Pen Air. I'll ask them if they monitor 121.5.

Oh yeah,...You can teach an old dog new tricks. I learned from PID the wisdom of NOT posting political rants on the flying forum.

Regards,

Rick

Comment

No worries. We are all on the same team.

Comment

Originally posted by AK-HUNT View Post
                    No worries. We are all on the same team.
                    Absolutely!

Rick

Comment

Try this picture thing again. I preview the post and click on the Attachment 47415 and it opens.

The plane was in a sling loaded in by Northern Pioneer helicopters I believe, blue huey, dropped in front of a hangar on the west side. It's not IF it happened, I saw it, and was just trying to share it. N91117 if anybody gives a rip.

Comment

Originally posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
                        Here is a question while we are debating 121.5 vs 406. How many people fly around with a second radio tuned to 121.5? I do it 95% of the time and have picked up 3 elt signals in the last year alone.

I also debated getting a 406 elt or a sat phone. I went with the sat phone and so far my wife and I have no regrets. Nice to be able to call your wife and tell her you are running late or that you have a broken part and to send it out with a pizza and mechanic.
                        Stick with 121.5 on your second radio. Meantime, see if you can still locate an old DF-88 direction finder. A pair of antennae above the cabin, exactly 24" apart, and a 360-degree head in the panel. Any 121.5 signal will register on that dial, and, like your ADF, the needle will point directly toward the transmitting ELT. No more flying to locate the aural null. REALLY works. I even located an offending ELT in a floatplane tied down at Hood (at the tower's request). Super accurate, too . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post
                          Me too. ?????????

My com backup system says Iridium on it. I used to carry an Icom handheld but I never used it. Had dual radios once and never used that. Fancy pictures sell lots of goofy stuff that guys won't ever need. Less is more.
                          For the first time, Mr. Pid, you surprise me! If you only fly your Cub, then I guess I understand. If you're in the Cessna, then I'm flabbergasted that you don't have a second comm!

Comment

Had one. Took it out. Worthless ballast if you never use it.

Comment

Im with Mr Pid also. I usually do file if im heading through the mountains with a destination in mind, but for the most part if i want to change and go east instead of west, or stop and fish that last hole we just flew over,well, thats what I do....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post
                                Had one. Took it out. Worthless ballast if you never use it.
                                Well - - - - - I guess I'd have to agree with that.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X