Plane by Nelchina Glacier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane by Nelchina Glacier

Went out riding at Eureka this past weekend and came by an overturned plane fuselage right by the end of the Nelchina glacier in the river (probably on a gravel bar). Appears to be a tail dragger, all metal covered (wings and fuse)with a metal frame inside. Side-by-side seating (might be 4 place) with round yokes. Has flaps. Tried to find any kind of a tail number or model/make markings but couldn't find anything as it is covered with snow. Guy that has a cabin in the area said that it's been there for over 10 years.
    Will post a pic later today.
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this one.

Originally posted by russiarulez View Post
    Went out riding at Eureka this past weekend and came by an overturned plane fuselage right by the end of the Nelchina glacier in the river (probably on a gravel bar). Appears to be a tail dragger, all metal covered (wings and fuse)with a metal frame inside. Side-by-side seating (might be 4 place) with round yokes. Has flaps. Tried to find any kind of a tail number or model/make markings but couldn't find anything as it is covered with snow. Guy that has a cabin in the area said that it's been there for over 10 years.
    Will post a pic later today.
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this one.
    Sounds like a metal-covered (conversion) Stinson Station Wagon, if that gives you a clue. I know less than nothing, however, as many will tell you. My clues are often misleading . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
      Sounds like a metal-covered (conversion) Stinson Station Wagon, if that gives you a clue. I know less than nothing, however, as many will tell you. My clues are often misleading . . . . .
      Thanks, I think you're right, after looking at several pictures of a Stinson 108-3 it appears to be the same type, down to the little baggage door on the right side.
      Here's the possible NTSB record - http://www3.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/b...09X00912&key=1

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
      Working...
      X