Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Engine Preheater

I came across this on youtube. It looks like it might work. There seems to be no end of things you can do with a .50 cal ammo can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bK_ivwXs4

Originally posted by tralika View Post
    I came across this on youtube. It looks like it might work. There seems to be no end of things you can do with a .50 cal ammo can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bK_ivwXs4
    No thanks . . . . .

Comment

Why not Grizz?

I have seen and used alot more rudimentary preheaters that that out in the field. Tough to get a good heater that is light weight, needs no electricity and will run off any type fuel you can find. I think it is a pretty good idea, and is close to what I use, however, mine is based on an old 5 gallon blazo can so I can put the stove and heater hose all inside.

I'm going to use up one of my old ammo cans and see how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by avidflyer View Post
        Why not Grizz?

I have seen and used alot more rudimentary preheaters that that out in the field. Tough to get a good heater that is light weight, needs no electricity and will run off any type fuel you can find. I think it is a pretty good idea, and is close to what I use, however, mine is based on an old 5 gallon blazo can so I can put the stove and heater hose all inside.

I'm going to use up one of my old ammo cans and see how it works.
        It's not the can, which I consider a GREAT idea. It's the flexible aluminum dryer vent line. I preferred the Coleman one-burner "plumber's pot" model heat source (about the same thing as is shown) but with a flexible 5 1/2" STEEL heat transfer 'pipe'.

Just in passing: I've always used those ammo cans for my First Air Kits. Waterproof and virtually indestructable! I may be wrong, but I think pressure applance fuel (BLAZO, white gas) is required for the heater shown.

The idea is basically a really great one, and I'm gonna build one or two myself!

Comment

I built one of those about 15 years ago and still use it today. The reason I built it was because the single tube from a Northern Companion was too big to be practical. I thought two smaller ducts would make more sense. I used an ammo box because is what I had handy and made two outlets for hi-temp scat tube to fit over to route the heat to the engine. For a Cub one tube to each cheek cowl. For a Cessna one tube into each cowl flap. My scats store (compressed) in the bottom of the box and the stove and fuel bottle go in on top of that. Easy to carry and very effective. No pics on this computer, though. Maybe I'll post some later.

Comment

Here are two pictures.
            Attached Files

Comment

And a third.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
                It's not the can, which I consider a GREAT idea. It's the flexible aluminum dryer vent line. I preferred the Coleman one-burner "plumber's pot" model heat source (about the same thing as is shown) but with a flexible 5 1/2" STEEL heat transfer 'pipe'.

Just in passing: I've always used those ammo cans for my First Air Kits. Waterproof and virtually indestructable! I may be wrong, but I think pressure applance fuel (BLAZO, white gas) is required for the heater shown.

The idea is basically a really great one, and I'm gonna build one or two myself!

Mine looks just like that and it is a multi fuel stove. Blazo, mogas, avgas, about anything that will burn will work in it.

http://www.rei.com/product/709000

Comment

Here's an even simpler heater using a Coleman stove and some duct parts from Home Depot. This one works well, too.
                  Attached Files

Comment

My ammo box heater uses an MSR multi-fuel XGK Expedition stove. Another option is the Dragonfly model. Those two are the highest output MSR stoves I've used. My Whisperlight can't keep up with the XGK for heat output. The little Coleman is dual fuel. They all work best of white gas but will burn avgas in a pinch.

Comment

Whatever type of heater you use I suggest putting a fine wire mesh screen at the bottom of the hose or tube that directs the heat to to the engine. If the stove flares up, the flame will not go through the wire mesh. Same principle as the old miner lamps.

Comment

The stoves I use roar pretty good when the flame is working properly. In fact even as the pressure and fuel get low mine have been perfectly safe in their respective boxes. I won't add any screen because it'll reduce air flow. In my time using my heaters no screen has been necessary. But I won't leave any combustion type heater unattended. Whenever possible my first choice for preheat is electric, and I stay indoors where it's warm.

Part of the reason I made my ammo box heater was because Red Dragon heaters are dangerous. I'll take my ammo box over a Red Dragon any day.

Comment

Originally posted by tralika View Post
                          Whatever type of heater you use I suggest putting a fine wire mesh screen at the bottom of the hose or tube that directs the heat to to the engine. If the stove flares up, the flame will not go through the wire mesh. Same principle as the old miner lamps.
                          Really? Thanks . . . . .

Comment

Boy what a timely thread. I was just looking to buy one for the 180B.

Hmm..I have an old Svea stove I used to use backpacking but it let me down once across the Mat-Su River from Sheep Lodge so I got the Whisperlite.

Maybe I'll make one.

Question;

What is the cutoff temp you guys think one needs to use a preheater? Below freezing or?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RocketRick View Post
                              Boy what a timely thread. I was just looking to buy one for the 180B.

Hmm..I have an old Svea stove I used to use backpacking but it let me down once across the Mat-Su River from Sheep Lodge so I got the Whisperlite.

Maybe I'll make one.

Question;

What is the cutoff temp you guys think one needs to use a preheater? Below freezing or?

Rick
                              My own rule was to use heat below twenty degrees above zero. A bit warmer, though, might have saved a bit of battery power.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X