No announcement yet.

Mid Air Collision near Soldotna.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone remember when a Cub flew up under a Beaver across the Inlet a bunch of years ago. Happened over a river. Neither saw the other. Both went down with no survivors. Used to know the pilot of the Beaver. He was an avid gun collector.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I had a local 135 pilot pass me on final as we were both trying to figure out where each other were. His left side tire on his 206 went right over me about 15 feet above my windshield. I yelled at him over the radio and he said he never saw me.
      Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
      Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...-registration/

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...=HTML&IType=LA
        "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Comment

Medical pulled due to bad vision. Years ago...
          A politician who thought the rules did not apply to him. What are the chances?
          Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
          Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
            It was not a Piper Aztec. It was a PA-12. The press got it wrong. As usual.
            Can't blame the press for this one. They were fed that info by the FAA early on.....because the N-number on the PA-12 belongs to an Aztec. The registration paperwork inside the plane belongs to the plane, but the paintjob N-number belongs to an Aztec. ....And it all belongs to a guy who had his medical revoked 8 years ago, and just killed a bunch of innocent kids. How come all the anti-government / anti-authority bloviators always get real quiet every time this happens?

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

The N-number didn't cause the accident; while the pilot certainly bears culpability and will be appropriately chastised in the final report for illegally flying without proper medical clearance, I have seen no evidence that blame for the accident is to be solely laid upon said pilot--to say he "killed a bunch of innocent kids" is a reach, IMHO, at least until the final report is released. I totally agree that as a CFI, he certainly knew better than to operate with a mis-matched N-number and without valid medical clearance (a general aviation pilot can fly without a current medical IF his last medical was not denied and he/she meets certain other requirements--but this guy knew (or should have known) he didn't qualify under this provision), but while the reckless attitude he exhibited toward the Regulations and irresponsible decision he made to fly without medical clearance will almost certainly be named as contributing factors, I doubt the final report will say "he killed." We can fly with our landing lights on within 10 miles of the airfield, announce our intentions on the CTAF and keep our head on a swivel--but bad things can still happen all too easily, regardless of our N-number or medical.

Comment

One pilot involved in this crash was not legal to be in the air. Had he not been in the air the crash would not have happened. Period. Full stop.

Meanwhile, there was a mid-air over Chena Marina in Fairbanks this afternoon which killed two more people and critically injured two additional...

Neither of these collisions was an "accident". They were preventable collisions which occurred because in each case one or more individuals did something they shouldn't have.
                ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                  One pilot involved in this crash was not legal to be in the air. Had he not been in the air the crash would not have happened. Period. Full stop.
                  It's not that simple, for it is also true that If the "other" pilot had not been in the air, the crash would not have happened. Maybe. Or, if the "unqualified" pilot had been "qualified," it could have still happened.... Accidents happen. Mid-airs happen--low wing versus high wing, sun in eyes, distraction in the cockpit, but I digress. Not all of them are preventable, unless people stop "living." I'm not advocating abandoning preventative measures, but rather acknowledging a reality of life and encouraging a sympathetic rather than blaming tone--I can't imagine how devastated every family involved in one way or another must feel--tossing around provocative words like "killed" likely evokes feelings of anger and revenge rather than healing.

Comment

I'm sure people are devastated, and I sound like a cold-hearted pri*k. And maybe I am. That's regrettable. But I come from a culture where we put every unfortunate, regrettable, painful, embarrassing incident under a harsh, unemotional microscope, analyze it, learn from it, and do everything within our power to ensure it doesn't happen again. That's the way we honor our dead. Not by sticking our head in the sand, dragging our feet, being apologists or making excuses. If any of the deceased were my parent, sibling, or spouse, I guarantee I would not want anybody coddling me, or apologizing for them. I would want their actions to be scrutinized, analyzed, and learned from, in an exhaustive effort to ensure what happened to them, or as a result of their actions, didn't happen to anybody else. And I would insist that process begin immediately. "Let's not face it now...let's wait until the report comes out..." wouldn't hold water with me.
                    Last edited by iofthetaiga; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by akgriz View Post
                      It's not that simple, for it is also true that If the "other" pilot had not been in the air, the crash would not have happened. Maybe. Or, if the "unqualified" pilot had been "qualified," it could have still happened.... Accidents happen
                      It actually is that simple, if the unlicensed and illegally flown plane wasn't in the air this crash would not have happened. One plane and one pilot was legally allowed to be in the air, the other was not. Had the illegally flown plane by the unlicensed pilot been piloted by a licensed pilot then perhaps this crash wouldn't have happened and it would have been a near miss, we will never know. Accidents happen and you can usually trace them to one or two very particular events that had they not occurred then the accident wouldn't have happened. A second or two would have made all the difference in this case, it would have been a near miss. But an unlicensed pilot got into a plane and all of the occupants of two planes are now dead.
                      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

[QUOTE=Patsfan54;n2760038]

It actually is that simple,/QUOTE]

Totally disagree. Woulda coulda shoulda is not the solution. Agreed, there is nearly always a chain of events that leads to catastrophe, any link of which having been broken MAY have prevented disaster. But simple? Absolutely not.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X