Mid Air Collision near Soldotna.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Air Collision near Soldotna.

Details are sketchy for now. Perhaps a Beaver on floats and a Super Cub.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Beaver on floats belonging to High Adventure and a Cub registered to Rep. Gary Knopp. Info released to the media.

Comment

7 died and one survivor

Comment

No survivors. One died enroute. Knopp was alone in his Piper Aztec. 6 persons in the Beaver.

Comment

Sad day for me. Having guided for High Adventure Air for a number of years, Greg Bell and I had quite a few hours together in their beavers. He and his brother Mark have been flying most all their lives and I always felt totally safe and comfortable when flying with them. My heart and prayers go out to all the families involved. My young friend Eric, Greg's son, lost his daddy today. I hurt for him terribly as I know what it's like to suddenly loose your father...

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...a-ntsb-says/#_
          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
            Sad day for me. Having guided for High Adventure Air for a number of years, Greg Bell and I had quite a few hours together in their beavers. He and his brother Mark have been flying most all their lives and I always felt totally safe and comfortable when flying with them. My heart and prayers go out to all the families involved. My young friend Eric, Greg's son, lost his daddy today. I hurt for him terribly as I know what it's like to suddenly loose your father...<br/><br/>https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...a-ntsb-says/#_
            <br/><br/>Sorry man. That’s a sting to be felt for a long, long time. Be well.

Comment

Very tragic
              -Tim

Comment

It was not a Piper Aztec. It was a PA-12. The press got it wrong. As usual.
                Knopp's GPS track for N1904T ( the PA-12 ) shows a two minute flight. It left Soldotna from runway 07 at 0824 AM and hit the ground at 0826AM. It was at 1200 feet when the track suddenly stopped. It was going north at 1100 feet and then turned east while climbing to 1200 feet. Just before impact. It shows a 85mph speed on the track. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1904T
                Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
                Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
                  It was not a Piper Aztec. It was a PA-12. The press got it wrong. As usual.
                  Knopp's GPS track for N1904T ( the PA-12 ) shows a two minute flight. It left Soldotna from runway 07 at 0824 AM and hit the ground at 0826AM. It was at 1200 feet when the track suddenly stopped. It was going north at 1100 feet and then turned east while climbing to 1200 feet. Just before impact. It shows a 85mph speed on the track. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1904T
                  One of the reports I read actually admitted that they had originally had got it wrong and stated that it was a PA-12. They also corrected their statement about the age of Greg.

Comment

How was the weather? If mechanical, I would rule out engine failure since it veered so quick. Possible flight control problem plunging it in to the other airplane <br/>
                    -Tim

Comment

The ADN article said clear with broken clouds well above the accident altitude. Let's wait for the NTSB report before speculating as to the cause--they'll have access to all the available information.

Comment

The Soldotna automated weather guessing machine will have a record of the weather at the time. So the FAA and NTSB already have that. The impact occurred only 2.5 miles from the Soldotna runway, two minutes or less from the PA-12 departing the Soldotna Runway. The Beaver on floats was usually based and operating off of Longmere lake which is 2.5 miles north-east of the impact site.
                        Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
                        Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Believe me, it had nothing to do with the weather....

Comment

I don't know what the stats are, but my gut tells me more midair collisions happen during decent to nice weather than marginal to bad weather.
                            “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

My guess would be both pilots had the other plane right in a blind spot.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X