Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In a year like this, I wish I had the old 90hp Cub instead of my O-520 powered C-180.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a year like this, I wish I had the old 90hp Cub instead of my O-520 powered C-180.

All of my out of state fishing and remote lake kayaking clients cancelled. So have all my out-of-state cabin renters.
    A few folks from up here have been talking about float ratings. Which is only a break-even deal for me..
    So right now I am holding off on putting my C180 on floats. Why pay my IA $1,200 to put them on and then pay $350 a month for dock space
    if nobody will be showing up???
    A down side is the fuel burn for personal use. My old 90 horse Cub was 4.0 gallons per hour of car gas and MMO. And only $850 a year for liability insurance.
    The C180 drinks 3 times that amount of 100LL and my in motion full coverage insurance rates are obscene.
    So afternoon fun flights with a buddy or by myself are quickly becoming a rare thing..
    On the bright side, I have had all sorts of time to build a new covered porch on my guest pilot rental cabin. And I have done a few BFRs for folks here on the peninsula.
    At least the new guest cabin porch came out looking nice...
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
    My old 90 horse Cub was 4.0 gallons per hour of car gas and MMO. And only $850 a year for liability insurance.
    How long ago did you pay those rates? I just got my quote for my next year's coverage for my 150hp Cub. Granted, it's full coverage for the value of the hull, but it still hurts to be looking at over $3k before I spin the prop once. Ouch.

Beaing able to burn mogas is a nice benefit, though - especially at today's low prices.

Comment

The liability only rate stayed pretty much the same for the PA-11-90 from 2002 until I sold her in 2014. And I was doing dual instruction floats, tailwheel and skis.
      J3s and PA-11 have a lower rate than PA-18s because nobody hardly ever gets killed in one. I think full coverage at a $42,000 value was $1900 a year.
      My C-150-150 HP was about the same.
      The liability only rate for my C-172N was around $975 per year. Full hull was something like $2,8000 $55,000 value
      One place told me that doing instruction in the C-180 on floats would be over $7,000 this year. But that covers full hull value at $125,000 I am waiting on other quotes, I think it was $4,800 last year.
      I have somewhere over 9,500 civil fixed wing hours and about 6,500 on floats. ( I am bad on logging hours and usually just look at who paid me at the end of the summer) The insurance company does not care and says I do not get any more discounts.
      I am seriously thinking about going to a PA-12.
      Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
      Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Dropped the hull coverage on our experimental this year. The quote for a certified cub was roughly half of what we pay. The 180 insurance is rough. We paid $15K 10 years ago for part 91 lodge support and that was wheels. Cannot imagine what it would have been on floats. The 135 guys must work about 2/3 of the year for the insurance company.

Comment

Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
          Dropped the hull coverage on our experimental this year. The quote for a certified cub was roughly half of what we pay. The 180 insurance is rough. We paid $15K 10 years ago for part 91 lodge support and that was wheels. Cannot imagine what it would have been on floats. The 135 guys must work about 2/3 of the year for the insurance company.
          I dropped hull coverage on the experimental. I figure at that price I'll either be dead and not care or can rebuild it for less than 1 year of premiums.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X