8.50 vs 6.00 tires Cessna 180?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.50 vs 6.00 tires Cessna 180?

Hi. I'm learning tailwheel flying in a 1980 Cessna 180. One instructor claims the 8.50 tires are harder to land because of bouncing. Another instructor claims the bigger tires absorb more of the landing energy and are easier to land. Can some of you share your thoughts and experiences? Thank you.

Ok for what it’s worth. I have a 185 and had a 180 before that. Small tires on a Skywagon are Much faster. Big tires much slower. Now the meat of the deal, I run 29x11x10’s now and had them on the 180 also. There isn’t anything I can say bad about them. They land sooo much better than small tires, they go into ruff places and soft surfaces great they save your prop from stone and gravel found all over Alaska. I use the 10x10 wheels now and on the 180 had GarAero’s both are great and I use the glider 4.00x4 tire not the bush wheel on the tailwheel. Last but far from least if you have a forced landing your chances are way way better with big tires in Alaska.

Comment

My 180 has 29 inch Bush Hawks. Ok for beaches and gravel. Not so great for paved runways. To me it does not make a huge difference because I have lots of tailwheel time...Other than the fact I am removing $5 worth of rubber for every paved runway landing.

BUT,,, Instructing a new tailwheel pilot is different....

I taught tailwheel for years in a PA-11 cub with 26 inch tires ( Goodyears) or a 7ECA Citabria on 800 & 850s... Those were perfect for teaching new tailwheel folks around most of Alaska. I could change the tire pressure to meet the requirements of the day. ( at least to some degree, since they are tubed tires)

I have taught tailwheel with small tires and big tires. The smaller tires often work better for paved runways, and do not suffer the wear on the pavement like the big ones.
      Basically you either instantly spin-up a 10 pound tire or instantly spin up a 30 pound + tire. A big soft 35 inch tire warps and deforms when going from zero to 50 knots on pavement.
      A hard 700 -800 size tire does not deform and flex as much. Gravel not so much since the tire is hitting the tops of the rocks and slowing spinning up before all the weight is on them. Find an old tailwheel CFI.
      Misaligned landing gear ( wheels not shimmed right) can make for some interesting times in a C-180 or 185.
      Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
      Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
      Working...
      X