Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im with you Barnstormer.

Comment

It is NOT just a flu or cold and if people would understand that, it would be nice. The flu kills lots of folks yearly, but there is usually a fairly effective vaccine for prevention. There are also medications to treat infuenza if you have a positive culture and can start taking the medication within 48-72 hours. There is no vaccine yet (although many are being studied now), and there are over 100 medication concoctions being tried with many focusing on antimalarial and anti virals as well as antibiotics to treat pneumonia. It is easy to say it only affects old people but this is not true. Luckily 80% of those who contract it will not need hospitalization. Another thing unlike the flu it that it can be spread by fecal matter so it is wise to wash fruits and veggies coming from other than your own garden as workers frequently defecate in fields and don't have running water to wash hands.

Yes, I think some aspects are being blown out of proportion but better safe and unhappy for a while than to risk infecting an entire community. I would hate to be that guy who caused sickness to a small community.

For those who need to go to cabin or out somewhere- read the mandate again and you are allowed to do so for critical reasons (interpretations???), as well as to supply groceries and supplies to people. If you fly- drop some supplies off to someone and you are exempt. I am taking some needed supplies/groceries/dog food to someone outside my community and will not be touching them or stopping anywhere in contact with anyone else.

I don't like being told what to do, but this is a wise attempt at containment. Read mandates again and see how you can not only move about- but help someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by iyouktug View Post
        This is just getting annoying, tired of these fake statistics. This is nothing more than a common cold, a flu at the worst. The family has already had it. Old people stay indoors and letís just move on.
        Sounds like my grandson who is living with me. He scoffs at anything about this. And he refuses to stay home. Frequents convenience stores to buy food even though my home is over flowing with all kinds of stuff. Sure, some of it requires cooking...but... Now I don't feel safe in my own home. I follow him around disinfecting stuff and wondering if he has brought the plaque to me yet.
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
          Sounds like my grandson who is living with me. He scoffs at anything about this. And he refuses to stay home. Frequents convenience stores to buy food even though my home is over flowing with all kinds of stuff. Sure, some of it requires cooking...but... Now I don't feel safe in my own home. I follow him around disinfecting stuff and wondering if he has brought the plaque to me yet.
          Gotta protect yourself first, there are people turning family out all over the country, I'm one of them. It's tough, but if your family doesn't care about your health and how this could impact it...for me I won't have that in my house. It can also be a good lesson for the younger generations to show some respect to their elders, sometimes a good swift kick in the rear will straighten them out.
          ďI would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
            I'd lock him out, in a heartbeat.
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by Barnstormer View Post
              First let me say that I am not trying to diminish the seriousness of this situation. When I traveled back to Alaska from a meeting down south, before the first known case of the virus hit Alaska and before the lower 48 was really adjusting to this, I wore a mask the entire way. In fact I was THE ONLY person wearing a mask in any terminal and on both aircrafts, and I wore it the entire time.

Since getting back home all of my trips to town have also been with a mask, whether grocery shopping or going to the post office. Sanitizing my hands and mask, and all packages, boxes and containers acquired on these trips. So I get it.
              I talked to my mom about masks.
              She's been a registered nurse for what 40(?) years and is now fully retired as of this year.
              She said she has sewn some nice masks for me and my dad and herself. I think she's sowing and quilting due to boredom and it being a hobby of hers anyway.
              No way to get mine though.
              But when I asked her about protecting your self from this with a mask this is roughly her response.
              The virus can easily travel through a mask.
              The mask does protect others if YOU cough or sneeze as it prevents your saliva from traveling as far. But if YOU do not have this then that's not doing much to stop the spread of covid19.
              It also prevents you from touching your nose and/or mouth which does help.
              She said only the masks rated N95 or N99 provide any real protection as they are actually rated masks.
              She wasn't sure if N95 was good enough for this one though.
              I mean if a guy sitting next to you on a plane coughs or sneezes unless your mask is rated he could still easily pass this on to you.
              Quite likely why not everyone wears a mask.
              So I need to ask was your mask rated? And what perceived protection did you get while wearing it?

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
              "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                I mean if a guy sitting next to you on a plane coughs or sneezes unless your mask is rated he could still easily pass this on to you.
                Quite likely why not everyone wears a mask.
                This is what I've also heard.... The mask will only help if you are the one infected and will "somewhat" knock down your aerosol from a cough or sneeze. Even at that, I watched a video from a doctor on the front lines in NY say that being infected this way, even without a mask, "can" happen but it usually takes an extended amount of time, like 30 minutes in a very close, confined area for you to contract the virus. The number one way to contract it is to have it on your hands and touch your face....eyes, nose, mouth.
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

You really do need to take this Chinese Virus seriously, the old and immune system-compromised people will suffer the most. Donít be the person who is spreading this around. Everybody needs to lay low, you can still go outside and do stuff, just donít interact with people. This is the only way to get ahead of this very contagious virus.

Comment

Originally posted by iyouktug View Post
                    This is just getting annoying, tired of these fake statistics. This is nothing more than a common cold, a flu at the worst. The family has already had it. Old people stay indoors and letís just move on.
                    Are you sure it was the CV you had? My wife thinks she had it too in early Feb but no proof.
                    -Tim

Comment

I just read a story of a family and friends that went to a funeral of a janitor. Now most of the family is infected, 5-6 kids and it spread out to the community. Another story of a church choir that practiced and now most of them are infected. We may not want to be quarantined in our homes but I do believe that Alaska took a proactive approach and I am thankful even though I feel it should of happened before the schools returned from spring break since many of our cases are travel related. Hunkering down is better that being lowered down.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                        I just read a story of a family and friends that went to a funeral of a janitor. Now most of the family is infected, 5-6 kids and it spread out to the community. Another story of a church choir that practiced and now most of them are infected. We may not want to be quarantined in our homes but I do believe that Alaska took a proactive approach and I am thankful even though I feel it should of happened before the schools returned from spring break since many of our cases are travel related. Hunkering down is better that being lowered down.
                        Yeah all those people out there telling us this is no worse than the flu and that we should go on living as normal are a big part of the Covid19 problem!
                        They are the reason this wil linger around longer if it does.
                        The best thing we can do is to STAY HOME and let this thing run its course minimizing the spread.
                        If it's not in my house and no one comes or goes from here it can't reach me. That's a plain and simple fact!
                        Like most of us I've had the flu a few times in my life. It seems I get it every 5-6 years or so.
                        I don't like getting the flu so I sure as heck don't want this crud!

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                          Whoa....let's keep it civil folks unless you want the thread to be locked down too...???!!!
                          Slight side track - what happened to the new upgrade for the site, I thought we were supposed to have a "safe space" to speak our minds?

Back to the originally scheduled program :topjob:

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                            Yeah all those people out there telling us this is no worse than the flu and that we should go on living as normal are a big part of the Covid19 problem!
                            They are the reason this wil linger around longer if it does.
                            The best thing we can do is to STAY HOME and let this thing run its course minimizing the spread.
                            If it's not in my house and no one comes or goes from here it can't reach me. That's a plain and simple fact!
                            Like most of us I've had the flu a few times in my life. It seems I get it every 5-6 years or so.
                            I don't like getting the flu so I sure as heck don't want this crud!

Thats your choice and more power to you for doing what's right for you and yours, as I do

BUT this bug stays on surfaces for 17 days, that means everything will need to be closed for at least 17 days to stop it. I mean EVERYTHING shut down! No vehicles on the road, everyone stay inside, no shopping, no businesses open, absolutely everything shut down so the virus will die out.

Even if that happen we will still need medical personal (including fire and police) to take care of people, they will be exposed and transmitting to others as they preform their jobs, keeping the virus alive. After a 17 day total lockdown these people will go out in the public areas and we will be right back to square one.

I dont know any small businesses or employees who can handle a financial hit like that. And the state/feds can handle a financial hit like that either.

Just food for thought...

Comment

Where is the source on the 17 day timeline? I have not found 1 study that says it can last longer than 72 hours on a surface. Not saying you are incorrect, there just seems to be a lot of bad info out there, like UAA saying 11,000 dead. The most accurate models say more like 870. Who knows what an accurate model is though at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Don_h View Post
                                Where is the source on the 17 day timeline? I have not found 1 study that says it can last longer than 72 hours on a surface. Not saying you are incorrect, there just seems to be a lot of bad info out there, like UAA saying 11,000 dead. The most accurate models say more like 870. Who knows what an accurate model is though at this point.
                                It's in this document from the CDC. Scroll down the page to the part that says "Discussion".

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X