Martial Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Law

The governor just effectively declared Martial Law. This is a major step governments take on their way to becoming police states. This is a very dangerous precedent for a free society. If you take the time to read Mandate FAQ issued by the governors office you will read "State and local law enforcement will enforce.

Also in the aforementioned document from the governors office is If you feel like you need to report non-compliance, send an email to investigations@alaska.gov. This should terrify every freedom loving person.
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

Hold up. Im getting popcorn for this one.
    OK. Ready. Set. Go.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Sooooooo what would the two of you do if you had to make the call today?????
      DENNY

Comment

But everyone is going to get a check. It's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Don_h View Post
          Not if you made too much money...

Comment

Originally posted by pipercub View Post
            Not if you made too much money...
            Not if you made so little money......that you don't pay income tax.
            "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
              Not if you made so little money......that you don't pay income tax.
              I believe there is an exclusion for this. You will just need to file this year and jump through a few hoops. Look into it if you really are in need.
              sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by spoiled one View Post
                I believe there is an exclusion for this. You will just need to file this year and jump through a few hoops. Look into it if you really are in need.
                Thanks.........I am not sure a person can even file if they have no income, or very-very low income.
                "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by Don_h View Post
                  wow, this thread changed directions quick!

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                    Thanks.........I am not sure a person can even file if they have no income, or very-very low income.
                    I have a couple family members that fall under this category. Basically they are living on social security. They have been exempt for filing the last two years. I think you need to bring in a minimum of $2500 a year. A quick call or email to a tax preparer would be prudent if you are really in need of it.
                    sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by boneguy View Post
                      Sooooooo what would the two of you do if you had to make the call today?????
                      DENNY
                      You go firstie.......
                      Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                      WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

This isn't martial law, it's what used to be common sense, but nowadays we have so many people who have no sense the governor needs to tell people to wash their hands and stay home...some people are so stupid they will lose their lives over it and unfortunately cost others to lose their lives. President Trump has taken steps towards martial law by declaring and then enacting the Defense Production Act, but we are still not to martial law yet. It is on us to make sure we don't get to martial law, unfortunately there are enough stupid people out there we could very easily get there before the stupid people die off.
                        I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

My neighbor just drove by. What should I do?
                          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Last night President Trump authorized the National Guard and Reserves and certain Individual Ready Reserve members to be called into active duty. This morning he is talking about putting entire states into quarantine. If we as Americans and especially as Alaskans do not do our part then our government is going to. We Alaskans should be smart enough and experienced enough to know that we do not need our government to tell us what is best for us, we should already know what to do.
                            I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

We've all read Alaska Health Mandate 011 and 012 in their entirety yes? I have- which is why I'm concerned.

First let me say that I am not trying to diminish the seriousness of this situation. When I traveled back to Alaska from a meeting down south, before the first known case of the virus hit Alaska and before the lower 48 was really adjusting to this, I wore a mask the entire way. In fact I was THE ONLY person wearing a mask in any terminal and on both aircrafts, and I wore it the entire time.

Since getting back home all of my trips to town have also been with a mask, whether grocery shopping or going to the post office. Sanitizing my hands and mask, and all packages, boxes and containers acquired on these trips. So I get it.

I object to this Mandate on a number of points.

First, the statement that "State and local law enforcement will enforce." This is a mandate, not a law (law enforcement not mandate enforcement) and is at the same time both very specific and very vague. If I was in law enforcement I would be equally disturbed by this. Members of law enforcement are human just like the rest of us, and when they are given such a vague mandate and told to enforce it they will inevitably do so unequally, whether by intention or not.

Second, and this terrifies me because of the precedent it sets and the panic it is likely to cause in persons minds, minds that are already fragile trying to cope, understand and adjust to this new reality- and that is the statements "What if someone isnt complying with the mandates?" "If you feel like you need to report non-compliance, send an email to investigations@alaska.gov". This should terrify everyone who reads it. Again this a mandate not a law and the Alaska government is encouraging (by this very statement), and providing a means for; neighbors to report on neighbors, and family members to report on family members.

In Nazi Germany children were instructed to report any activities or conversations that could be considered treacherous. Children reported the activity of neighbors, teachers, religious leaders, and even their own family.

The same occurred in Communist Russia.

TODAY in Communist China (from an article in the Wall Street Journal) "New technology rewards citizens for notifying authorities about illegal activity, domestic disputes and other problems...". The Chinese government has created apps for this. This is happening TODAY and there is an app for that- in point of fact multiple apps.

Third, this mandate punishes a large percentage of honest, hard working, tax paying Alaskans by closing down their businesses and jobs- from the Mandate "A violation of a State COVID-19 Mandate may subject a business or organization to an order to cease operations and/or a civil fine of up to $1,000 per violation." Continuing in the Mandate document is "In addition to the potential civil fines noted above, a person or organization that fails to follow the State COVID-19 Mandates designed to protect the public health from this dangerous virus and its impact may, under certain circumstances, also be criminally prosecuted for Reckless Endangerment pursuant to Alaska Statute 11.41.250." and further down in the same Mandate document "Additionally, under Alaska Statute 12.55.035, a person may be fined up to $25,000 for a class A misdemeanor, and a business organization may be sentenced to pay a fine not exceeding the greatest of $2,500,000 for a misdemeanor offense that results in death, or $500,000 for a class A misdemeanor offense that does not result in death."

HOWEVER Junkies are exempted from this mandate. Junkies who don't pay taxes, and by their very life choice are extremely vulnerable to this virus, and by their very lifestyle choice congregate in groups. Junkies are free from this mandate and can go on about earning their living panhandling and stealing (SB91- but that's another discussion) and exposing other Alaskans to this virus. Junkies being free from this Mandate are also free from the consequences listed above. From the Mandate "What about persons experiencing homelessness?", "This population is exempt from this stay home order..."

Am I the only one who finds this very disturbing?

This virus entered Alaska via air travel. And certainly its rapid worldwide dispersion is the result of air travel. New cases of this virus continue to come to Alaska daily (and to every other state) by air travel and as stated in the Mandate "Are airports still open?" "Yes, the public airports in Alaska remain open." Sick people will be on flights coming into and going out of our state. Think of all the things they will touch as part of their travel, from doors, to bathrooms, to luggage etc, and think of all the fellow travelers that will also touch these same things as well as being directly exposed to these persons, and airline and airport personnel who will do likewise. And taxi, Uber and Lyft drivers who will be exposed and on and on. Is this not the front line? Like Junkies, air travel is exempt from the restrictions of this Mandate. Am I the only one who sees an inequity here?

Of course I get the fact that Air Cargo must continue to move throughout the country.

Cruise ships played an important role in the movement of this virus initially, but of course at a much slower pace. And for now that industry is all but shut down.

Alaska Health Mandate 011 and 012 are poorly and dangerously written, and should immediately be repealed. Inequities and discrimination needs to be addressed, and a smarter, more functional plan put in place that is as fair as possible, does the least damage to us economically and to our civil liberties, and addresses the continued influx of new virus cases to our state. And equally important reduces panic (whether real or imagined) and confusion about our near future.

That's my opinion and thoughts. And I'm letting my State and Federal Representatives know the same. Whatever your thinking I hope you do as well.
                              Phil Whittemore
                              If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X