Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And I though I had big "Gonads"......I would like to buy him a beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I though I had big "Gonads"......I would like to buy him a beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I473...ature=youtu.be

Video shows the moment a double-tiered Airbus A380 made a sideways 'crab' landing while battling 50 mph cross winds at Heathrow Airport
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

That is both impressive and crazy! I bet that was a wild ride on the inside!

Comment

Originally posted by kobuk View Post
      That is both impressive and crazy! I bet that was a wild ride on the inside!
      I think that I have watched that 20+ times. Especially from 55seconds till contact and roll out. It kind'a looks like he was wanting to touch down where he could use that taxiway if he had to. I wonder what gross weight is on that bird.

Comment

Forget the beer! He needs Scotch!!!
        When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
        '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
        2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Comment

Originally posted by Music Man View Post
          Forget the beer! He needs Scotch!!!
          And clean under shorts.

Comment

Oh, that's what crab means....:topjob:

I'd want to check the tires but that landing was pretty **** impressive.

Comment

Crap technique. Some rudder application just prior to touchdown would have made it much better. I almost thought it was an intentional crossed up landing for certification until I saw the Etihad livery.

Gross weight on the 380 is about 1.3 million pounds....not sure of max landing weight.

The guy filming was wrong though when he called it a beautiful machine. Double UGLY!!!

Comment

That was immensely impressive! Iíll bet it was a fun ride! 😉

Comment

Just land it sideways, it will straighten out on its own.LOL Iíll have to check with my Airbus coworkers but in a Boeing a sideways landing is an option to the kick out or zero crab technique. I always straighten it out just prior to touch down, never felt right do the sideways thing.

Comment

Originally posted by NERKA71 View Post
                    Just land it sideways, it will straighten out on its own.LOL Iíll have to check with my Airbus coworkers but in a Boeing a sideways landing is an option to the kick out or zero crab technique. I always straighten it out just prior to touch down, never felt right do the sideways thing.
                    I'm a Boeing guy, former Airbus guy. Some rudder just prior to touchdown, raise the downwind wing a bit to maintain centerline and roll 'er on. Engines are fairly high so there's quite a bit of correction that can be used.

Comment

Fairly High is an understatement.LOL Way higher than the Boeing. There are a couple of check airman at my company that hate the kick out method and seem to think every time itís done you risk hitting the engine. I had to explain that as long as you keep the wings level ďas per the flight handbookĒ there is no danger. Even with the low engines you still have a bit of wiggle room. The new generation I guess. Iím happy with straightening it out just prior to touch down. Besides landing in a strong crosswind is less work than the takeoff.

Comment

Castering gear helps. I would think kicking it straight would be better but he may have taken quiet a bit off the groundspeed by landing with the nose straight into the wind.
                        DENNY

Comment

The Airbus wing can perform aerodynamic feats!
                          https://youtu.be/5GIU94dg1ek

Many years ago when I was a kid I remember seeing the exact same scenario play out as I looked out the window of a Wien 737-200. Just before rotation almost all the snow slid off the wings like butter on a hot pan. Only years later did I understand more about how types of deice fluid and how holdover times worked. Type 4 all the way! Though in that video Iím not sure that wing had anything on it to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by boneguy View Post
                            Castering gear helps. I would think kicking it straight would be better but he may have taken quiet a bit off the groundspeed by landing with the nose straight into the wind.
                            DENNY
                            The 380 gear doesn't caster. I'm not sure how much room or bank they can do in the 380 before they drag an engine.
                            Our guidance on the 748 is 22knots and you'll have to put the mains on in a crab. Which is fine because it casters.

Comment

Originally posted by z987k View Post
                              The 380 gear doesn't caster. I'm not sure how much room or bank they can do in the 380 before they drag an engine.
                              Our guidance on the 748 is 22knots and you'll have to put the mains on in a crab. Which is fine because it casters.
                              Oh youíve definitely made a valid point here for sure.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X