Titanium landing gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium landing gear

I am just finishing up installing the titanium gear on the 185. Just working with the old and new gear legs the weight difference is amazing.
    Installation is a bit of a chore. But, realistically we all need to go through the cleaning and inspection of the gearboxes like this every once in a while.
    Tom, the owner of The Landing Gear Works returns my calls right off for my tech questions and loves to talk about them.
    I will update with a PIREP when I get some flight time on them.
    Lost 28 Lbs. with that mod

I thought it would be more than 28 pounds lost... I heard they do not bounce as much.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
      I thought it would be more than 28 pounds lost... I heard they do not bounce as much.
      My 1954 180 has the original gear and I don't seem to bounce much, unless I miss the flare by a bit and my bushwheels rebound.

I'm a simple man, but the "bounce" indicates energy absorption through the flexing landing gear and not transmitting it directly to the gear boxes. Or is it a case of the flexing gear working the boxes where a rigid gear doesn't?

My plane lands pillow soft.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearsnack View Post
        I am just finishing up installing the titanium gear on the 185. Just working with the old and new gear legs the weight difference is amazing.
        Installation is a bit of a chore. But, realistically we all need to go through the cleaning and inspection of the gearboxes like this every once in a while.
        Tom, the owner of The Landing Gear Works returns my calls right off for my tech questions and loves to talk about them.
        I will update with a PIREP when I get some flight time on them.
        Lost 28 Lbs. with that mod
        Did you do this because you had a bad gear leg or just wanted the lightweight and performance of the Ti gear?

Comment

My 1954 180 has the original gear and I don't seem to bounce much, unless I miss the flare by a bit and my bushwheels rebound.

I'm a simple man, but the "bounce" indicates energy absorption through the flexing landing gear and not transmitting it directly to the gear boxes. Or is it a case of the flexing gear working the boxes where a rigid gear doesn't?

My plane lands pillow soft
          Big potholes and rocks during roll-out or take-off run. Supposedly the Titanium gear is more " dead" in the reflex. I do not know personally since I have not flown a set 'yet' onto a rough surface.
          Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
          Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

I have flown it once, did 3 touch and goes and some taxing to check alignment.
            I don't have enought time to thoroughly comment on the p
            erformance. I may have detected less bounce, but I need to fly more to get the feel for them.
            I replaced my old steel legs because I fly skis and there was no history on the old gear legs. I started to worry about the cracks at axle attach bolt holes after 6 years of flying.
            I figured put the money towards a lighter, better product.

I am hoping to do a couple more flights on the 8:50 tires then put skis on. It is all weather dependent .
            As soon as I have a feel for what they really are like I will post it on this thread.
            So far, still pretty darn happy with them.

Comment

So I have about 50 hours on the titanium gear now. I left the 8:50s on for now. They do not seem to bounce as much. It is slightly noticable .
              Over all I am very happy with them

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X