Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Search and Rescue efforts underway after reports of plane crash near Cooper Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like impact was at 0413 hrs ZULU. So is that 1913 hrs local, with the daylight savings BS added in...?
    Of course the first calls had to go out a good while before this, since two companies turned down the flight, then these guys had to gear up and go.
    So I would bet the call went out around 4pm to 5 pm at the latest.
    They could have driven to the central Peninsula Hospital in Soldotna in 2 hours. And it is a good hospital. Or have gone to the Kenai airport for an IFR flight. No mountain pass driving needed.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
      Dark here at 3:40 PM They stop plowing and sanding before dark. Near three hour drive Seward to Anchorage "Each Way". Allow some delivery time at hospital. So figure 6:30 to 2:00 AM total turn around back to Seward. Over unknown dark road conditions over two mountain passes. Now remember they are publicly on notice that all emergency support service including Alaska State Troopers, Fire companies, EMT vehicles will not roll till about 11:00 next day. And you think they want to "Cowboy Up" and "Damm the torpedoes" full speed ahead, load the ambulance we are going for it. This is exactly the whole reason for the Silvertip DOT Station, was to keep those two passes open for Emergency Vehicles 24/7/365.
      That dog won't hunt, as much as you want it to.

It wasn't dark at 340 pm last Friday, might not have been light but it wasn't dark. Not accounting for when the first two calls were placed and denied or how much time passed before wheels up. Let's just say 630 pm (even though it would have been well before that) an ambulance leaves from Seward enroute to Anchorage and it takes 3 hours so it's 930 pm at drop off, patient made it, end of story. Oh right the ambulance has to get back to Seward they could assess the road conditions at that time, end of story.

I know you want to make this something that it's not, good luck with that.
      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

I could be wrong but I don't think the Seward ambulance does transfers to the big city, pretty sure an ambulance would have to be dispatched to Seward to pick up a patient.

Comment

My crude take on the flight path from the radar track. Now my computer is acting up. Here in Homer, it was pitch dark and raining at 1830 and 1900 hours local time. I was outside with my grandson, using flashlights to find some cord wood from my pile. I am not sure what Kenai and Soldotna were doing at that time. Seward was overcast with light winds at 1800 hours that night.
          Attached Files

Comment

The preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board is interesting.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/NT...566092361.html
            "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
              Sad news. Probably was ideal conditions for icing.
              It would have to be some extreme icing to bother a navajo.

Originally posted by pipercub View Post
              Jeeze why scud run to Seward? Who is medevac Alaska?
              Right? You don't do Seward at night for a reason. At least if you value you and your crew's life.

Back when I was doing this we removed a guy from the line indefinitely(he quit, because no one trusted his judgement and he couldn't make it back to flying) for even accepting such a flight(to seward at night). He was caught before he got the aircraft out of the hangar before this exact scenario happened.

Comment

Hmm, rocking his wings after the altitude drop circle... with a Navawhore no less?? Was he trying to shed ice?? Trying to get a failing attitude gyro to center?? We will never know.
                The weird thing is that I used to know the pilot and he used to be Mr Safety Bear.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X