Best places to visit in AK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WannaBfromSC View Post
    ...So, gotta go back and do about 30% again.
    I am ready to be complete with this portion so I can do more flying/learning and get started on IFR..
    Well, I was finally able to get back in and complete my PPL. So, I am now a pilot!! (Beginner anyway). Plan to start my IFR training at the end of the month. Probably too soon, but PPL took longer than I expected and I want to get done with IFR as soon as I can. Already been studying and doing online practice for the written. We will see how it goes.

Comment

Congratulations on your PPL. I know for me that was a real milestone for many adventures ahead. IFR rating is something you will never regret also, even if you just use it for personal use. 👍👍

Comment

WannaBfromSC,

Congrats on your license.
        "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBfromSC View Post
          It would be my wife and I.

What about the Alaska railroad? Is that a good way to see very much? Or just a touristy waste? I like trains and it'd allow me to focus on the scenery rather than the road..
          Anchorage would still be your best bet even for a train trip to Denali with a stop in Talkeetna. There are a greater variety of scenic places and communities to drive to from Anchorage in my opinion, than any other drive-from location in Alaska. You can even drive to Whittier from Anchorage through the train tunnel. The drive to Seward, then Homer is spectacular. Both towns are on the ocean with Seward on the east side of the Kenai peninsula and Homer on the west side at the lower end of Cook Inlet.

For a day trip from Anchorage, Hatcher pass is great for scenic vistas and photo ops etc. Another day trip on the highway to Seward and Homer would be a stop in Girdwood and a ride up the chairlift to the restaurant at the top. There are many options out of Anchorage.

Comment

How hard would it be to "play it by ear" in Alaska? I guess that depends on the time of year. Basically, if I drove from Anchorage to Seward or Homer, and then decided to stay a night would there be hotel room availability? Same question with Talkeetna..if I take train from Anchorage through Talkeetna to Fairbanks, but decided to spend additional time in Talkeetna, or Denali area would there be accommodations available without reservations?

Comment

Get a copy of the MILEPOST. https://www.amazon.com/MILEPOST-2020...dp_ob_title_bk This has great information about every major road and places to see, food, lodging, along the way. You can call ahead before you go and track down a bed. Most hotels/motels will know who has an open bed. It can be a bit hard to find a bed on busy weekends if an event is going on especially in small town. Just bring a small tent and sleeping bag, you can always find a place to camp. For a new pilot the Airmans show and Valdez airshow would be like the first time you had sex and another person was involved!! Swing down to Talketna, Seward, or Homer during the week drive to Valdez friday morning and try to hop a ride on the poker run. It can be cold and wet but what a show bring good rain gear. That trip would not be the hard bush Alaska but it is a major part of the state that things revolve around you can branch out form that. If you are thinking of coming up to fly in the future this is how I would start. Lodging that time of year is not that hard to find. Milepost is still recommended as a resource/study guide.
              DENNY

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X