No announcement yet.

Best places to visit in AK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you will have your license soon, a fast trip to places like SELDOVIA would be cool for your wife. You can walk all over town from the runway.
    Or stop at the Quartz Creek runway. The Sunrise Cafe is a short walk away and they have great food.
    Or during my float-season I can show you some interesting places.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Float Pilot,

How long is your float season? Thinking about getting my float rating this coming summer! How much is your course? I would fly down and stay in your guest cabin! Getting an idea for this coming season!

Jason
      "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Comment

Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
        Or during my float-season I can show you some interesting places.
        That would be great. I would like to spend some time in the Homer area anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
          .. and asking "should I fly into Charleston or Greenville?" If you want to see Alaska, fly into Fairbanks ..
          Seems like I heard somewhere that "Anchorage is only 30 minutes from ALaska"..Lol..

Comment

A train ride into Talkeetna would be cool and then book a float rating add on, or just a fun flight with Don Lee at Alaska Floats and Skis. They have a nice cabin, but book up fast. I stayed and flew skis with them last year, was mad fun. Was going back to do some float flying, but the fires were in the area and it was smoked out. Amazing sights to be seen flying the Talkeetnas.
            "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Mr Grayling:
              I just pulled out of the water today.
              Send me a PM.
              Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
              Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

The hardcore guys will say that Anchorage is a couple hours away from Alaska...and there's some validity to that. However, Anchorage is arguably the easiest place to get to and base from, so if you can't base from Fairbanks or Juneau

- A day-cruise (i.e. 26 Glaciers, Kenai Fjords, etc) out of Whittier or Seward shows the glaciers, saltwater, wildlife, etc.
                - Lots of local opportunities for flightseeing if you're able to rent a plane by the time you get here: Knik glacier area; Talkeetna's generally; Chugach Range; hop over to Seward, etc.
                - Lots of commercial day trip options from Los Anchorage: Bear viewing, sightseeing etc
                - The drive to Valdez is nice;
                - As mentioned above, a good 1/2 + day can be spent just wandering around the Lake Hood area. The Aviation museum is neat as part of that.
                - I personally think Anchorage is lacking in interesting things for visitors but I may be jaded: there's all sorts of hiking, one can visit Girdwood and take the tram, enjoy a libation on top of the mountain; ATV tours of the Knik glacier are available; glacier hikes on Matanuska are available, etc
                - Fishing? Depending on the time of year, trips are available from nearby areas from Anchorage (Mat-Su, Whittier or Seward for saltwater, lots of fly-outs from Lake Hood area
                - As noted by IOT, Talkeetna has become disgusting IMNSHO.....but it's close to Los Anchorage and a good spot to go for a commercial flight around McKinley.
                - If it otherwise fits, going to either Fairbanks or Juneau and doing the available stuff from there will probably give a bit more "real Alaska" feel...but it may still be "touristy" and may take a bit more logistics effort.

Comment

I'm glad some of you find us disgusting. Not much you can do when folks come to town and we need to make a living. Talkeetna is still a great time and over 40% of our traffic still comes from DIY tourists and Alaskans. You can still get first class scenic flights, a very decent zip line, a good jet boat ride, good food and decent beer. Yes, it's crowded, but the locals (maybe only the ones IOT knows) don't hide. We have softball tournaments, a thriving music scene, and some quality entertainment at the Sheldon Hanger.

If you're into aviation, come in May. You can catch the Great Alaskan Aviation Gathering in Anchorage, then the Valdez Fly In and Stol competition, and then top it off with the Talkeetna Fly-In.. all on consecutive weekends in May. May is an awesome month, and the tourist traffic is much less. You could drive to all three, no need to fly. You can fill in the weeks in between with visits to the Kenai, the Mat-Su and the Copper River Valley very easily.
                  Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBfromSC View Post
                    My checkride is scheduled for October 25th.
                    Rootin’ for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by downeast View Post
                      Rootin’ for ya!
                      Thank you. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. This DPE is super busy and getting another time slot will be a pain..

Comment

WannaBfromSC,

Today’s the day, did you take your checkride?
                        "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
                          WannaBfromSC,

Today’s the day, did you take your checkride?
                          No.
                          Marginal VFR all around the area so I could not get it in.

Comment

And don’t forget, you can ride on Ravn to all of weastern Alaska!! Lots of cool villages they fly to, many several times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBfromSC View Post
                              No.
                              Marginal VFR all around the area so I could not get it in.

Did you get your checkride rescheduled?

Comment

Originally posted by akaviator View Post
                                Did you get your checkride rescheduled?
                                Found another DPE with time available..Went last Thursday and got through Oral before clouds got too low..Went back on Saturday and did flying portion at 8am..only to mess up all of the easy stuff. All of my landings were hard...short field, soft field, cross wind, emergency landing, etc. So, gotta go back and do about 30% again.
                                I am ready to be complete with this portion so I can do more flying/learning and get started on IFR..

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X