Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW.......4 more dead PA-22 on Goat Mountain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW.......4 more dead PA-22 on Goat Mountain.

For sure been a rough year so far.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Al...521061101.html
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

This is a better report.
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...near-girdwood/
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

IDENTIFICATION
      Date: 04-AUG-19
      Time: 23:18:10Z
      Regis#: N7402D
      Aircraft Make: PIPER
      Aircraft Model: PA22
      Event Type: ACCIDENT
      Highest Injury: FATAL
      Aircraft Missing: No
      Damage: DESTROYED
      State: ALASKA
      DESCRIPTION
      Description: AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES AFTER TAKE OFF, GIRDWOOD, AK.
      INJURY DATA
      Total Fatal: 4
      https://photos-e1.flightcdn.com/phot...9a060e839c6a4d
      Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
      Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Over gross and intoxicated...

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2019/12...that-killed-4/
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

"estimated" 50 lbs over gross not an issue. Not legal, but the actual affect on performance is nil.

Drinking before flying? Bad. Bad. Bad. It's also crazy that all four people thought it was a good idea. You wouldn't get in a car with a drunk but going flying makes sense? Wow.

There was weather moving through as well with mountain obscuration. I had flown with my wife through that same pass the day before in our Sedan. We were heading into to town the day of the accident and I mentioned to her our timing was right for that sightseeing trip because it wouldn't have happened that day.

Drunk does cloud judgement. Sad.

Comment

And a cirtified flight instructor no less. What a shame!
            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I simply can't understand the "drinking and flying" thing. Particularly (no excuses anytime, but...) when it was a personal, sightseeing, not-in-any-way required flight. Drink to oblivion (or to some lesser impaired state)...or go flying but d*** sure don't do both.

Drinking clearly falsely magnifies one's abilities, falsely minimizes risks, and reduces critical judgment. No big issue if bowling, playing pinochle, or golfing, but why I T H would one put that burden on themselves and then take a heavily loaded aircraft up to fly in the mountains?

Agree with the above post...the 50#'s over is a non-event, but flying with 4 persons in a 172 makes it heavy and reduces the performance envelope anyway, so it's extra bad to fly in the mountains on what I seem to recall was a hot day with any impairment at all on the part of the pilot.

Comment

Like others, I occasionally feel like the details as presented make so little sense that I can't envision how a pilot ends up in that circumstance. But pilots do end up in these circumstances. Which means that really, it is possible for any of us. I feel like the valuable thought process is to evaluate what reasoning and procedures we each have in place that will make sure we don't also end up there.
                14 Days to Alaska
                Also available on Kindle and Nook

Comment

I can't at all understand the behavior, but unfortunately it's all too easy to imagine, because I see people do stupid **** like this all the time. What I imagine is four buddies sitting around getting blotto...and then one of them says "hey, wanna go look for some sheep?"... Easy to imagine. Impossible to rationalize.
                  ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                  I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                  The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Well, we all know how booze makes far too many guys feel 10' tall and bullet proof. Unfortunately, (it seems) more so nowadays than before, some of them don't even need the booze to think that way. So little respect for their, or other's lives. Very sad.
                    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pa12drvr View Post
                      I Agree with the above post...the 50#'s over is a non-event, but flying with 4 persons in a 172 makes it heavy and reduces the performance envelope anyway, so it's extra bad to fly in the mountains on what I seem to recall was a hot day with any impairment at all on the part of the pilot.
                      tis/was a Piper Tri Pacer, an underpowered 4 place if there ever was one... I think I could have easily talked myself out of getting in that plane, after walking out of the bar with the pilot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pipercub View Post
                        tis/was a Piper Tri Pacer, an underpowered 4 place if there ever was one... I think I could have easily talked myself out of getting in that plane, after walking out of the bar with the pilot!!!
                        Agreed...I posted in the middle of working on a buy / sell agreement for a 172 and had 172 on the brain. A Tri-Pacer pushes the envelope to the wrong sort of extreme. I've spent 4-5 hours in a Tri-Pacer (couple as pilot, couple as passenger) and don't think I'd get into one as the 4th passenger even presuming total sobriety.

Comment

When it comes to many things with an engine....there is no replacement for displacement. I'll take a little more power every time.
                          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X