No announcement yet.

What kind of wing covers do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because neither a Pitts or Corvette have anything to do with bush flying?

Comment

Basically-
      but more so - contributing to a "wing cover" thread thats evolved to such

"Insanity is knowing that what you're doing is completely idiotic, but still, somehow, you just can't stop it."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post

You all have my sincere apologies. I certainly know better . . . . . Sorry !

Comment

Well fitted solid nylon, no spoilers. Mine do fine up to about 35mph winds and after that there's no reason to leave covers on. When I leave town and can't babysit the plane I'll put my mesh w/ spoiler Kennons over the solids. That keeps everything snug in all but newsworthy wind storms. That's the only time I use mesh. Even after a thaw if solids freeze on I can peel them off and go fly.
          Good idea putting mesh over solid covers...I use the spoilers/mesh when I'm out and about and the wind kicks up...I prefer the solids when I have to use covers....

Comment

I see other bush planes flying around me does that count? I also taxi and land in the midst of bush planes. My dad has a bush plane we fly from time to time, its pretty fun. Slower stall speed, flaps and bigger tires to land on dirt.

Honestly though if people dont want me here I will stop posting.

Comment

I don't visit this site to read about Pitts airplanes or Corvettes. I like both and know guys who have them but this is a Bush Flying discussion area and specifically this is a thread started by a good question about wing covers. I've been using wing covers for over 20 yard and I still am interested in other comments because I might find something better or different. Do you have anything to add about wing covers?

Comment

I have used Alaska Tent and Tarp covers for 30 years. I just bought a set from Linda haven't put them on yet. I don't like the mesh covers, I have friends that use them.
                Tim

Comment

I have sat at the tie-downs and watched as 30-45 kt gusts were whipping the covers on the planes, (even had to get out and ratchet strap down a neighbors tumbleweeding tool box to the headbolts to prevent it from sliding into the tail feathers) and really appreciated the vent slot in my covers. Others were puff up like pillows and thrashing the tops of the wings and controls, while mine were simply doing a little fluttering. In that case.... they worked as designed.
                  Flip side: yes that slot allows rain/frost to get through.... but it is minimal. As mentioned above, any of them suck when it rains and then freezes. They turn into one big band aide.... an you know the slogan: Stuck on You!

Comment

I've got mesh, and had the solids too. I like my mesh covers better than my solids. Never had them stick down where I can't get them off.... I agree tho, nothing beats a hangar!

Comment

What do you mesh guys do to sweep the wings after a snow? When I used mesh the broom would drive snow through the mesh. I got snow waffles stuck to the wing even in cold weather if I swept the wings and didn't remove the mesh covers and shake them out. The ice left on the wings at near freezing temps was a bigger pain. I think mesh covers are best suited for temporary use but for guys who park outside all winter I don't know anyone who prefers mesh. I don't like how bulky the spoilers are to stow, either. Solids are easier to carry and make a better survival shelter.

One down side of solids is they grow and shrink with temp and humidity changes. One day they're perfect and a couple of days later they're 6" too long.

Comment

I use Sheri's covers and love them. Check them out at http://www.sheriscustomcovers.com

Comment

What do you mesh guys do to sweep the wings after a snow? When I used mesh the broom would drive snow through the mesh. I got snow waffles stuck to the wing even in cold weather if I swept the wings and didn't remove the mesh covers and shake them out. The ice left on the wings at near freezing temps was a bigger pain. I think mesh covers are best suited for temporary use but for guys who park outside all winter I don't know anyone who prefers mesh. I don't like how bulky the spoilers are to stow, either. Solids are easier to carry and make a better survival shelter.

One down side of solids is they grow and shrink with temp and humidity changes. One day they're perfect and a couple of days later they're 6" too long.
                          Admittedly, I'm inside hangar mostly now a days. Thankfully. I've always preferred the mesh. I don't remember having to pull inside a hangar to get covers off. Sometimes they were stuck a little. They tend to leave the little ice "waffles" as you said but no big deal.
                          Maybe the difference is; I don't sweep off the snow unless theres a foot or so. 2-4 inches on there just rolls off and doesn't stick covers down as bad.

I'm surprised about your "bulk" comment. I would have said thats a big plus of mesh. Less bulk. Perceptions are funny.
                          When they are new they are I guess… but after a winter they compress to nothing
                          - we put in compression bags and take to peninsula bear hunts. Really love em for that.

My real preference stems from the damage I've repaired and witnessed from solid covers as I mentioned. Just not worth that to me.
                          Bottom line to me-- If the wind blows- the mesh/spoilers help; the nylon hurt.

I like the mesh over solid idea.

Comment

Yes, size matters. Last year I had an engine cover made with half the normal insulation. Still plenty. It crushes down to tiny. Same with my wing covers. Poofy spoilers get in the way when sweeping wings and when stowing covers. Big poofy engine covers are a pain, too. I've got my own peeves and have found covers I'm happy with. Or maybe they're less just evil than others I've had. 😀

Comment

I think i remember you going with Fine line for your engine cover is that right? Must be working out good for you.. did they come build it on the plane or do they have a mock up template? Im going to be in need of a new engine cover in the coming years, mine is so old it has no name on it and fits like it was built for something other than a 170 cowling...
                              For what its worth, I have AK wing covers with the spoilers and the mesh strip. I take them off when the wind is blowing hard and leave them on otherwise. I have no experience with others so no comment. I also have AK covers for windshield, prop and spinner, and tail.

Yes, size matters. Last year I had an engine cover made with half the normal insulation. Still plenty. It crushes down to tiny. Same with my wing covers. Poofy spoilers get in the way when sweeping wings and when stowing covers. Big poofy engine covers are a pain, too. I've got my own peeves and have found covers I'm happy with. Or maybe they're less just evil than others I've had. 

Comment

I did use Fine Line. I like the engine cover but it uses Velcro instead of bungees so I'm not used to putting it on yet. That'll come. I'd bet Doug has patterns for a 170. He fit/adjusted on the plane before he gave me the cover. It fits well. To be fair Linda at AK Wing Covers will do the same thing. Both are good choices.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X