No announcement yet.

What kind of wing covers do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of wing covers do you prefer?

I have a Cessna 170A. I'm new to flying. My wing and cowling covers are shot. Locally, I see a set of 4 yr old unused polyester covers for sale and a set of used kennon mesh covers with spoilers. I see kennon recommends against mesh if freeze thaw is a big issue. Right now its in willow, but hopefully soon, I'll get it to Wasilla if location sways your opinion. Thanks

mesh/spoilers for sure

Comment

I've used both and while the mesh covers have their advantages, I've had them freeze so hard to the wing that I had to put it in a hanger overnight to get them, and the ice, off. Never had that happen with the polyester covers.

Comment

Here is Homer we get rain, ice , and snow with sea winds. So the mesh covers freeze to your wings.
        But a place with dry snow and cold wind just begs for spoilers and mesh.
        Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
        Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

I have saw nylon covers damage more than one aircraft. One was Cessna ailerons bent up about 90 deg.
          Only once had mesh freeze down hard enough couldn't break them free. Small price to pay IMO

different strokes 4 different folks.

Comment

I have had the Alaska Wing covers with the vent slot the length of the wing. Really like them. Easy hook connections and perform well in the occasional windy conditions. Slots do, on occasion, ice down but very minimal, otherwise they have perform well for over 6 years.

Comment

Well fitted solid nylon, no spoilers. Mine do fine up to about 35mph winds and after that there's no reason to leave covers on. When I leave town and can't babysit the plane I'll put my mesh w/ spoiler Kennons over the solids. That keeps everything snug in all but newsworthy wind storms. That's the only time I use mesh. Even after a thaw if solids freeze on I can peel them off and go fly.

Comment

I have the nylon with vent strip and spoilers. I would highly recommend Linda at Alaska Wing Covers.

Comment

Truth is I prefer no wing covers and wish I never had to use them again. Not that I don't like winter and ski flying, I just don't like dealing with wing covers. Like today, when I have to go remove them so they dry out after yesterday's rain.

Comment

60x60 metal frame building.

Comment

Owning a Pitts in Alaska is like owning a Corvette up here. To the right people it's cool, but to most of us it's meh..whatever.
                      Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

Originally posted by AKDoug View Post
                        Owning a Pitts in Alaska is like owning a Corvette up here. To the right people it's cool, but to most of us it's meh..whatever.
                        Owned and drove Corvettes in Alaska from 1976 through 1986. Stick shift, studded snow tires, and four 50-lb bags of sand behind the front seats, they were the best winter car one could drive. Because the cars were small, the heater and defrosters became warm almost as soon as the engine started. I don't know if one could consider them "cool", but they certainly were sensible . . . Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
                          Owned and drove Corvettes in Alaska from 1976 through 1986. Stick shift, studded snow tires, and four 50-lb bags of sand behind the front seats, they were the best winter car one could drive. Because the cars were small, the heater and defrosters became warm almost as soon as the engine started. I don't know if one could consider them "cool", but they certainly were sensible . . . Think about it.
                          . The potholes up here would destroy a Corvette in nothing flat....

Comment

[QUOTE=pipercub;1440386]. The potholes up here would destroy a Corvette in nothing flat....[/QUOTE

Well, they didn't. And the last 'Vette I had, a 1981 model, black on black, was the car I drove for 22-years. And it was still cherry when I sold it in 2003 for $14,000, though I admit that I had finally replaced the black leather seats. I had paid $9,700 for it at Alaska Sales & Service. I'd certainly own another in Alaska.

Comment

Went ahead and deleted this because …….well…….uh……just because…...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X