Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bush plane mission

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bush plane mission

    I'm researching what would be the best bush plane to purchase or partner in. I'm just amazed at how easy some of these off field gravel bar landings look on YouTube. I've watched these so many times that I look for tracks from other planes or cut brush to give just a little extra clearance. It's a matter of time before I buy something that matches my mission....fishing! I need a little help on deciding what to get. I see Super Cubs as the front runner and would like to know more about mods. Do I really need 31" tires for landing on 2" gravel? Can I get by with 160hp for 2 guys and gear? I'm not sure I need 60 gallons of fuel for a trip from Wolf Lake to the Klutina and back? What would be a max useful load and would better landing gear increase useful load.

    Please leave info or ideas here or pm me. I plan on flying with someone that can show me the ropes and where to go for fishing and easy landings. I know some of these YouTube landings look cool, but I'm not risk taker....been there and done that years ago. I just want an ATV with wings and to go where 99% of the other people can't get to.

    fli

  • #2
    For fly-out fishing, with a max of two people, I would opt for a 150-160 horse PA-18 or PA-12 on EDO 2000 floats. Problem solved.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

    Comment


    • #3
      Alex, shame on you for that simple ans., no wait your right! LOL I second Float Pilot, it's just that simple. Although you could spend lots of money trying to make something else work and do what a simple fairly stock Super Cub or PA12 with some mods will do. All kidding aside Do lots of research and get up to speed on the different plane available and pick the one that trips your trigger. Then find someone with one and try and get a ride. Good luck.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you want to be the top 1% skip the fixed wing and look for a helicopter.

        Pilot skill is the primary ingredient for off airport ops. Buying a plane won't make you capable of taking it tight spots. That takes time and experience.

        Comment


        • #5
          No way I'd ever get in one of those again. I have to much entrenched skill to retrain now. I think looking out the door of a helicopter drove me to learn how to fly. I think I'll stick to wheels or floats.

          Comment


          • #6
            If fishing is the mission get the floats. Water is where the fish are.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by polardds View Post
              If fishing is the mission get the floats. Water is where the fish are.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Yes, but more than one WORLD CLASS fishing lodge has used wheel-mounted aircraft for its daily fly-out fishing trips. One such lodge, which charged $7,000 per person per week, was historically booked two years in advance. There's plenty of excellent fishing to be enjoyed when flying wheels.

              Near Anchorage, consider the Chuitt River, the Little Susitna, Lake Creek, Willow Creek and others.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
                Yes, but more than one WORLD CLASS fishing lodge has used wheel-mounted aircraft for its daily fly-out fishing trips. One such lodge, which charged $7,000 per person per week, was historically booked two years in advance. There's plenty of excellent fishing to be enjoyed when flying wheels.

                Near Anchorage, consider the Chuitt River, the Little Susitna, Lake Creek, Willow Creek and others.
                Agreed. I went to floats one summer and I'll never go back. Not on the cub anyway. We obviously caught fish but not nearly the GREAT fishing available on tires. If you are a good hand with a cub I'd not even consider floats. The problem is: it will take years and hundreds of hours to be a good hand. A cub on floats is a dang quick learning curve so maybe thats a better option for you. A lot harder to bend stuff IMO.

                About any other aircraft I'd think floats may be the better option. Tho, our Cessna stays on wheels and I've never really wished I had floats. My good fishing spots on wheels outnumber the free days I have to go fish them so I guess that's all a guy needs. The only exception is right after thaw it'd be nice to have the wagon on floats to do some pike fishing for a month with the kids.

                The point is float guys like floats and wheel guys like wheels. Its definitely not as easy as saying one is better than the other. It depends on your mission. Identify specifically where you are going and what you are doing. Realize that operating an aircraft on wheels in the off airport environment is a long learning curve. And if you have the money, buy an R-44 since you are not hunting with it. No question.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The learnng curve for a Cub on floats may be easy on a lake but add the common perils of flowing waters and it requires more skill. Crosswinds, sandbars, difficult banks, boat traffic, rising/falling water levels, etc all make float flying more difficult. Beaching and leaving the beach on flowing water can be a topic on it's own. Fly floats on and off of rivers for very long and a pilot will have some stories to tell. :-)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I guess it would also depend on your preferred fishing style. I used to be a running-water spin-casting type. Back then I landed on gravel bars and hiked to most fishing spots.
                    These days I am more into calm water fly fishing.... I like to drift around a glassy lake while sitting or standing on the plane's floats and sip some hot tea from my thermos.
                    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
                    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Where are all the good fishing spots for those with wheels around the Fairbanks area? Anybody know?

                      Originally posted by AK-HUNT View Post
                      Agreed. I went to floats one summer and I'll never go back. Not on the cub anyway. We obviously caught fish but not nearly the GREAT fishing available on tires. If you are a good hand with a cub I'd not even consider floats. The problem is: it will take years and hundreds of hours to be a good hand. A cub on floats is a dang quick learning curve so maybe thats a better option for you. A lot harder to bend stuff IMO.

                      About any other aircraft I'd think floats may be the better option. Tho, our Cessna stays on wheels and I've never really wished I had floats. My good fishing spots on wheels outnumber the free days I have to go fish them so I guess that's all a guy needs. The only exception is right after thaw it'd be nice to have the wagon on floats to do some pike fishing for a month with the kids.

                      The point is float guys like floats and wheel guys like wheels. Its definitely not as easy as saying one is better than the other. It depends on your mission. Identify specifically where you are going and what you are doing. Realize that operating an aircraft on wheels in the off airport environment is a long learning curve. And if you have the money, buy an R-44 since you are not hunting with it. No question.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
                        I guess it would also depend on your preferred fishing style. I used to be a running-water spin-casting type. Back then I landed on gravel bars and hiked to most fishing spots.
                        These days I am more into calm water fly fishing.... I like to drift around a glassy lake while sitting or standing on the plane's floats and sip some hot tea from my thermos.

                        My friend, you are enjoying life much too much . . . . .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
                          I guess it would also depend on your preferred fishing style. I used to be a running-water spin-casting type. Back then I landed on gravel bars and hiked to most fishing spots.
                          These days I am more into calm water fly fishing.... I like to drift around a glassy lake while sitting or standing on the plane's floats and sip some hot tea from my thermos.
                          For sure
                          Depends on the mission

                          I think catching a halibut from the cessna floats would be a kick!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Your Avatar shows Minnesota. So there are many lakes there. I would think allot of it comes down to what kind of storage options you have for your airplane on floats or wheels. You mentioned Wolf Lake, so there are slips there but it can be a pain in Anchorage to find a float slip. I believe we are all assuming you have at least your private pilots license. If so stick with wheels and once you get that figured out get a float rating and try floats. The main thing is practice. Then the second thing is knowing where to go.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              AK-Hunt, I'll give you a good mark and I'll film it if you ever want,lol. Engine parts came today, boat will be ready tomorrow. Should be a good fishing summer.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X