"We're from the FAA and we're here to Help"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We're from the FAA and we're here to Help"

The FAA is out and performing Ramp checks. Remember that they are there to "Help". You'll know this because they will tell you repeatedly during your conversation. They will possibly have a trainee with them learning how to "Help" you.

They "Helped" me at PAMR a couple days ago. I don't ever remember feeling this "Helped" before in my entire life.

If your out at the airport and see a car with government plates, wave them over and get some "Help"! Get some use out of your tax dollars. It's an experience you will likely never forget.

That may be fall-out from bird herders thread....
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...n-AK-operators

I ran into an buddy who is up to his neck in that agency and he intimated that everyone was already scrambling to figure out who they could rat out so as to ingratiate themselves with the big muckety-mucks from down south...

Remember the old movie where the base commander tells the XO that the General is inspecting at 10am, The XO tells the ops officer it is at 0900, then he tells the next guy it is at 0800, and by the time the Sgts and corporals put out the word all the troops are standing outside at 3 AM...
    And of course the general never shows up...

Oh well maybe worrying about the FAA will take my mind off of loosing my Cadillac medical benefits, for which I paid and worked for 30 years...
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

A properly prepared pilot with a properly maintained airplane has nothing to fear from a ramp check. If you're in a hurry it may be an inconvenience but a manageable one in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post
        A properly prepared pilot with a properly maintained airplane has nothing to fear from a ramp check. If you're in a hurry it may be an inconvenience but a manageable one in my experience.
        That's a fact. I've been ramped 4-5 times. 135 checkrides, base checks….. I can't think of one bad experience. The guys are doing their job.
        Gonna have to find another "boogie man".
        If you have anything to fear during a ramp check, get it fixed cause its gotta be pretty dang bad! A lot of marginal aircraft get ramped.
        Its not like they dig very deep fellas. "AROW"

Comment

Guess everyones experience is different. My A&P IA used to work for the FAA as an ASI. There's more to what's happening but it will wait until it's all over and done. Just giving a heads up, they are doing OJT with new ASI's.

Comment

All the times they have hit me up, I have found that they are either new to the state or maybe visiting. The last couple guys had northern east coast accents and totally east coast clothes that did not fit the wind and weather. They were cold and miserable.
            So I kept on talking about new subjects and asking about new issues until they started to get blue around the lips. Hopefully they went out and bought some better clothing and dumped the little low cut leather Yankee office shoes.

Actually they are a great resource for CFIs because they usually have a box of airport marking cards or other cool stuff in their car. I like to give those out during BFRs.

But having been a government employee in law enforcement for twenty years, I know for a flipping fact you have good guys, bad guys and apathetic yahoos, in any government enforcement branch. It is just the way it shakes out. And even us good guys occasionally had orders that rubbed us the wrong way. The mood and focus of my last dept changed every time an election was near or when the new Governor had appointed new Dept and Division heads as political favors.

BY THE BY,,, The FAA snagged one of my former clients last year because he was out of BFR. (retired airline pilot who could afford to see me every two years, so too bad for him) The story of how they found out is a little hazy.... I think he pulled a boner while visiting Anchorage and came to their attention.

All they told him to run out and get a BFR within a few days and he basically got off with a warning. No big deal......
            Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
            Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post

All they told him to run out and get a BFR within a few days and he basically got off with a warning. No big deal...... [/COLOR]
              Could've made his life hard for a bit…..I don't remember getting any breaks with FSDO of 10 years ago.

I stand by this: If you don't pass a "Ramp Check", its likely not the FAA's fault. Its the most basic of checks but a lot of guys get over-excited about them. Nothing there to get excited about.

On a side note: I have a couple friends that work for the FAA now. They don't make rules. They typically don't like the same ones I don't like. But they are paid to do a job. I respect them for that…..A little like a police officer. He didn't make the speed limit either…..
              Sure, there are D-bags. Everywhere.

Gotta go burn avgas! Beautiful days are making me poor.

Comment

You better be sweating if you think you have all your I's dotted and your T's crossed.
                Tim

Comment

No sweat here. Let 'em look.

Comment

Wait till you run into one that has a case of the azz for you....get your phone out and record everything....

Comment

It's funny how many guys say the FAA isn't happy until you're unhappy. Some guys look for things to be upset about. You guys sound like you're already there. You can have it. Life's too short.

Comment

Ignorance Is bliss...

Comment

I have never been ramped, but I have had a couple dealings with the ANC FSDO and I have to say that they have been very positive! One time was getting my experimental looked at after a rebuild and the former owner did not have the original airworthiness, only a copy. The inspector came down and looked it over and handed me a new pink slip, he had nothing negative to say and was actually very pleasant and knowledgeable. The second one is actually in progress, but in less than a week of me calling and talking to an inspector, sending him pictures and a few follow up emails, he will be at the house Wednesday when I get in from the slope to look at the issues and help sort things out. I know these guys have a huge work load here yet the response time so far has been very quick and positive. Hopefully I will be able to post Wednesday afternoon that the actual meeting was positive LOL.

Comment

It's funny how many guys say the FAA isn't happy until you're unhappy. Some guys look for things to be upset about. You guys sound like you're already there. You can have it. Life's too short.
                            the quote was" we're not happy till you're not happy" they used to laugh about it.

Comment

Originally posted by onebadjudge70 View Post
                              There's more to what's happening but it will wait until it's all over and done.

Are you saying that your that your ramp check resulted with you having to provide some more documentation to satisfy the ASI request?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X