Greenies after the trails in Sutton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenies after the trails in Sutton

First post here folks but I thought I'd bring some disturbing news I learned this evening to everyone's attention. It seems the Sutton Community Council is in cahoots with some greenies and they want to turn the trail system in/around Sutton into an Eco Tourism area. I live in Sutton and needless to say am not happy at all with the situation. I guess they didn't get what they wanted at Knik so they've moved up the road to Sutton. From what I understand there has been a multimillion dollar grant awarded and there currently are crews out with GPSs mapping the trails in the area for this greenie push. I for one and not in favor for this and think it needs to be stopped in its tracks.

Attached is a link to a pdf on the Sutton Community Councils website outlining this greenie vision.

http://suttoncommunitycouncil.org/wp...s-2.4.2011.pdf

I wish we as ATV users, Hunters, fisherman, in short the guys who like to use machines and eat animals were a little smarter, a little more determined and organized so we could counter this crap. The whole state is going to turn into a non motorized area.

Comment

Matt the ATV community responded pretty well to the attempted Knik take over. The greenies certainly didn't get what they were after out there. We could definitely stop them in Sutton too. I'm going to run for a spot on the community council and go door to door out there on this issue.

Comment

So from what I can tell this is a made up organization with no real official capacity to do anything. Nothing says official like a Gmail account...

Comment

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
          So from what I can tell this is a made up organization with no real official capacity to do anything. Nothing says official like a Gmail account...
          I would agree to a point. We learned of this from one of the elected members of the council. So it most definitely is a real threat to any motorized use of the trails in the Sutton area. Sutton is unincorporated so this is as official as you'll get.

Comment

Good for you Dave! and RFM, I could not agree more. The problem is we enjoy being outdoors so much we tend to leave the BS to the yuppies which in turn screws us. Looks like some good ol' country boys need to start beatin' down doors like Dave. Good luck, you'd have my vote.
            "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

Too bad for them they don't own any of the land they seek to control. I wouldn't get to worried as they can't unilaterally do anything except dream.

Comment

Chief...unfortunately you're wrong. Again from what I understand they've currently got people out mapping all the trails in area to include any that exist on private property in order to get them recognized as public access trails by the state. That's the first step, then they make their move to ban any/all motorized access.

They tried the same thing out at Knik and got cut off at the pass because of huge turn-outs against at the public comment meetings.

I suspect the same will be needed to stop them in Sutton as well.

Comment

Well keep me posted if there is anything I can do.. I just bought a 10K dollar wheeler and I would like to use it without having to drive out to the middle/end of the state.

Comment

The trails are on Borough/State/Federal land. They can't do crap except lobby, and looking at their 3/10/11 meeting minutes they tabled the plan after a meeting with the Borough including Mayor DeVibiss.

http://suttoncommunitycouncil.org/wp...da-3-10-11.pdf

Comment

and I'm telling you that a member of the community council says that issue is not dead. It's still being pushed by it's proponents and a group working with the proponents just happen to be the beneficiaries of a multimillion dollar grant to map all the trails and push this forward. Ignore me if you like but this thing is real.

Comment

I'm not ignoring you, I'm just pointing out they need at a minimum the Borough and State to cooperate as this council has no legislative powers. I don't see Larry Devilbiss being too cooperative in the manner. To counter them simply write your Borough Assembly member and the Borough Mayor. Politicians are used to hearing from these agenda driven "community organizers"............so you'd be surprised how much weight a letter from one NORMAL Voter brings, just be sure to provide your voter ID number on the letter(s).

BTW, them mapping all the trails may be useful to us. I'd be nice if they published good color topos with all the trails on them.

Comment

Point taken Chief. However and yes they did table the plan at their last meeting but more specifically the meeting minutes say it has been postponed. At least from the committee's perspective. The problem is the group from outside the community pushing this is continuing on with their baseline work. I'm working on getting more specifics that I'll share immediately once I receive them.

I guess what I'm afraid of is the creep effect and no one noticing until its too late. Lets face it that's what has gone on with everything else the greenie movement endorses for 20 plus years...They figured out you don't eat an elephant in one bite. They nibble away at what they want until before you know it it's too late to stop them.

Comment

One problem with Sutton is the area has been included in a management area 4 miles by 4 miles square right behind Sutton - between the state and the borough. The state would probably like to delegate management to the Borough if they thought they could get away with it. Bears watching, let us know when the next meetings are on it if you get a chance.
                            Mike
                            Mike
                            www.alaskaatvclub.org
                            There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.:eek:

Comment

Mike, They've already had their monthly meeting for March and haven't put the one for April on the schedule yet. I'll pass it on once I get a firm date.

Also, I emailed the council asking for the particulars (who, what, when, where) regarding any and all parties involved in this plan. I'll pass that along as well.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X