Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear tire locked

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rear tire locked

    I have a 2003 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 and am having problems with the rear right wheel. It is the one with the brakes on it. It is stuck. I tried for a few hours yesterday to get it free and it still is stuck. I tried it with the winch wrapped around the tire twisting it forward while I tried to drive forward, still stuck. I tried loosening the brakes all the way and releasing all the presure from the brakes, still stuck. I sprayed break-free onto the drum and it sat all night, still stuck. It has been stored in the garage all winter and when I put away last, the water was drained from the wheel drums and I know it will stick a little bit but this is rediculous. Any suggestions before I take it to the shop and waste my money on something that is probably an easy fix??

    Thanks
    -tonyjoe-

  • #2
    Originally posted by tonyjoe54 View Post
    I have a 2003 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 and am having problems with the rear right wheel. It is the one with the brakes on it. It is stuck. I tried for a few hours yesterday to get it free and it still is stuck. I tried it with the winch wrapped around the tire twisting it forward while I tried to drive forward, still stuck. I tried loosening the brakes all the way and releasing all the presure from the brakes, still stuck. I sprayed break-free onto the drum and it sat all night, still stuck. It has been stored in the garage all winter and when I put away last, the water was drained from the wheel drums and I know it will stick a little bit but this is rediculous. Any suggestions before I take it to the shop and waste my money on something that is probably an easy fix??

    Thanks
    -tonyjoe-
    Could just be rusted up. Zuki's are well known for the "rear drum" issues. Take the tire off and smack the drum with a hammer to see if it will let loose/ try taking it apart to see what gives. Really easy to do, don't waste the money at the dealer.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not familiar with the brake drum material and I also recommend disassembly but I recommend a rubber or rawhide mallet instead of a steel hammer. Although you may have to resort to the steel hammer later I would try everything else first. Let us know what you do and what works.

      Comment


      • #4
        Be careful!!!

        I broke the axle on my 98 500 Quadrunner when my right rear tire was locked up by putting it in low range and giving it a few full throttle blasts, it snapped clean off! I'd take it apart before I went to the shop you'll save a bunch and it isn't that hard you just have to be patient and keep tapping it till all the rust lets loose. You may have to replace the seals before you reassemble. I took a wire wheel to the drum before I put it all back together and everything worked fine after I had the pleasure of replacing the axle ($150)
        Last edited by fishingis4play; 01-19-2009, 19:04. Reason: sp

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fishingis4play View Post
          I broke the axle on my 98 500 Quadrunner when my right rear tire was locked up by putting it in low range and giving it a few full throttle blasts, it snapped clean off! )
          You too eh'? lol, I have the same 98' 500 and man, what a bad design. Rebuilt the rear diff twice and snapped 3 axles on it. Lifted and large tires :rolleyes:. It is sitting outside waiting for me to rebuild the front diff and rear diff (again) blew both out. Rear blew and tried to limp it to the cabin on the front, lol, didn't happen.

          I will rebuild it one more time and put stock tires back on it. Got the 6x6 now so don't need the monster zuki. :cool:

          p.s. about the "hammer" yes, just tap it, not SMACK it. Use ones head and feel things through.

          Comment


          • #6
            me too!

            Originally posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
            You too eh'? lol, I have the same 98' 500 and man, what a bad design. Rebuilt the rear diff twice and snapped 3 axles on it. Lifted and large tires :rolleyes:. It is sitting outside waiting for me to rebuild the front diff and rear diff (again) blew both out. Rear blew and tried to limp it to the cabin on the front, lol, didn't happen.

            I will rebuild it one more time and put stock tires back on it. Got the 6x6 now so don't need the monster zuki. :cool:

            p.s. about the "hammer" yes, just tap it, not SMACK it. Use ones head and feel things through.
            Yep got to agree with you blown my rear diff twice (still broke now) and broke the front cv 3 times (caused after rear diff broke the last time) so it is currently sitting in a snow bank in the yard. 27" tires all the way around also. Too bad cause the motor is bullet proof and fires right up even at -25.

            Comment


            • #7
              Join the Suzuki club, I too busted the rear axle on my 02 king quad, same thing super low and give gas which has always worked in the past, replaced it and left the seal out and also drilled a small drain hole on the bottom of the drum

              Comment


              • #8
                Use some Heat

                Get a propane torch and heat the drum around the perimeter prior to hammering away. It should come off MUCH easier. Been there, done that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  1/2 fixed

                  Well I finally got the wheel turning again. Half the brake pads came apart when I removed the wheel and were stuck to the drum. The problem I have now is the axel did break like I was warned about. I think I broke it prior to posting on here for help. Oh well, learned not to do that again. I will have it fixed and be out and about again. Thanks for the suggestions, I used a hammer and the blow torch method. Took me 2 hours but i got it off on Sunday.

                  Thanks for the help and happy trails.

                  -TonyJoe-

                  Comment

                  Footer Adsense

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X