Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are you getting chains for your Argo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are you getting chains for your Argo?

mine are getting pretty worn, rubbing on a cross bar, so I am thinking about replacing them, where are you getting good quality chains from?

86 Argo, KB, Kohler 18hp magnum, 8X8

I would be making some phone calls with the dimensions of the chains. My experience is that going to the dealer for items like this means you'll spend a lot more. Here on the Kenai, I'd be checking with Alaska Bolt and Chain. An example would be buying a tire for your mower from the dealer where you will pay several times more than you would at Alyeska Tire.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Can the chains be rebuilt? What about getting regular auto tires chains and using parts off of them? I do not have an ARGO so not sure how heavy duty the chains are.

Comment

Originally posted by AK Bearcat View Post
        Can the chains be rebuilt? What about getting regular auto tires chains and using parts off of them? I do not have an ARGO so not sure how heavy duty the chains are.
        I assumed the O.P was referring to the DRIVE chains.

Comment

OOPS, that make sense!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by msta999 View Post
            mine are getting pretty worn, rubbing on a cross bar, so I am thinking about replacing them, where are you getting good quality chains from?

86 Argo, KB, Kohler 18hp magnum, 8X8
            I too thought to OP was talking about tire chains.

Could the chains have stretched and all you need to do is remove a link or two?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

I too thought to OP was talking about tire chains.

Could the chains have stretched and all you need to do is remove a link or two?

Thanks for the responses. Rremoving a link from the drive chains? I'd have to do it to each one, correct? to keep the tires rotating together? I don't think I can take a link out of the short chains up front.
              I did price a set of chains out and it was between 900 and 1000 just for the chains, so I'm looking at aftermarket.

Comment

How do I know what is a quality chain, that will hold up to an argo? I am looking at Jeremywell International out of CA, the chain doesn't seem overly priced: 45.58 for 10 ft with free shipping:
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-2-Double...97.m4902.l9144

Comment

I might be wrong, but I believe you should be changing the sprockets the same time you change the chains.

Comment

I found some good quality chains on ebay and ordered them, as for the sprockets, they look ok, there isn't any big wear on them, that I can tell, but I'll have to remove the chains to know for sure, which I will do shortly.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X