Itp 589 Tires, Any Good ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itp 589 Tires, Any Good ???

I Recently Moved To Nome And Got A Grizzly 660. I Thought About Getting Some Itp 589 Tires For It But Wanted To Ask If Anyone Had Any Opinions On Them First. I Will Be Using The Atv To Get To Good Fishing Spots And Want Something With A Little More Traction. Any Thoughts On These?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

589's

I have used Titan 589's and ITP 589's. Both are incredibly tough tires with decent traction. They lack side wall traction though.

Personally, this is just my thoughts, I would only buy 589's if I was going to stud them for icy trails. Otherwise I would use Maxxis MudBugs. If you plan to ride your Grizz on a lot of ice studded 589's are a great choice. Otherwise I would look into a set of mudbugs.

Mudbugs are great a choice for snow, mud, trails, sand, rocks, gravel, roads, and just about any other terrain you can think of. I have used most ATV tires and the bugs are my fav. There are still a few others I need to test out.

I have 1500 miles on my 28" bugs and they still look new, except for the few cut lugs I have from one too many nose to the sky wheelies.

The 589's are good tires but I prefer bugs. The titan 589's have a center groove and cant be studded. The ITP 589's are the ones that have a lug thick enough to stud.
    sigpic

Comment

tires

I have an 05 660 Grizzly. I looked at many different tires and between all my friends I have seen a big assortment of tires. I chose Bridgstone mud hooks myslef. The reasons: more top speed on loose sand or rocks like on the beach, they ride much smoother on hard ground and the tread is plenty knarly for serious mud, well at least for me anyway. My friends have mud lites,589, etc and they have never pulled me out period. The Bridgstones are a little cheaper than 589's or Mud lites if that is a concern. Here is a link to a set of them on e-bay (no I'm not the seller) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4589082072

Comment

Tires

I would like at some other tires, the ITP 589's are way to heavy. My friend has a set on his Foreman and though he gets good traction with them, he complains about the weight all the time. If your not a full time mud rider I would look at the Mud Lites, they are a very good all around tire, not the best for mudding but still a very good tire. I rode my quad this past Sunday and got into some snow and mud, got stuck once when i buried the machine in snow up to the frame but other than that, they are excellent tires. They are considerably lighter than the 589's and most other tires, paired with a light wheel you can't go wrong with them.

Comment

Good Point

Good point AkHunter45, 589's are really heavy but thats what makes them so tough. If you ride areas that have a lot objects poking at the sidewall of the tire 589's would be my tire of choice.

Also Bugs are just as light, if not ligther than mudlites. Both are good tires, but I still have my preferences. :-)
          sigpic

Comment

Kenda Executioner

If you go to the forums at http://www.Highlifter.com tires have been discussed to death! From what I gather, the hardcore mudders don't like the mud lites and they say other than the HL Outlaws, the Kenda Executioners are a great option to the 589's. I'm thinking about them for my 6x6. They are a little cheaper than the 589's as well.
            AKmud
            sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

HL

Highlifter is a good forum but most of the members generalize and categorize these tires without even using them. Just my observation.
              sigpic

Comment

HL

I don't disagree with you about Highlifter, a lot of the posts are from wanna be's who think they know what they are talking about. Lately though there have been some first hand stories about mudlites and comparing them with other models. My suggestion is to look back over many of the old and new posts and draw the common thread.
                AKmud
                sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

I also agree with you WaterGremlin, most of the guys on that forum read what others say about tires and take it as gospel instead of asking people who actually have experience with them. That sight is also mainly for mud riders so I take most of the info with a grain of salt. Since i'm not a die hard mud rider I don't know to much about Bug or Gators or Laws or any of those other mud tires but I do know about the 589's and the Lights. Can't wait to go riding again!

Comment

HL

I'm not sure why you guys are bashing the HL forums, there is a wealth of knowledge there. I agree there is a lot of junk but when there is a forum with 10-20,000 posts and excellent, established mechanics, racers, hunters, and mud boggers you have to admit there is some good information there. I have been researching tires extensively lately and was just reporting what I had found. Some of the posts even had links to videos of the tires in action and other forums where a lot of the same information was being relayed. No doubt the 589 is a good tire, but the mud lites have not been looked upon favorably from what I have seen.
                    AKmud
                    sigpic

Comment

660 / tires

I have an 04 Grizz 660. First season had stock tires. Hated life!

I currently run 27inch mud lites w/ 2 in lift. Not many people like doing this, but I haven't been stuck since. Except for snow. Wether 589's, Mud lites, or anything else. If the snow is not packed you will dig a hole that you may not get out of. The 26 mudlites are nice to, they are a good medium, but I like um big.

Comment

Originally posted by AKmud
                        I'm not sure why you guys are bashing the HL forums, there is a wealth of knowledge there. I agree there is a lot of junk but when there is a forum with 10-20,000 posts and excellent, established mechanics, racers, hunters, and mud boggers you have to admit there is some good information there. I have been researching tires extensively lately and was just reporting what I had found. Some of the posts even had links to videos of the tires in action and other forums where a lot of the same information was being relayed. No doubt the 589 is a good tire, but the mud lites have not been looked upon favorably from what I have seen.
                        Nobody's bashing High Lifter, it is a great site with tons of info but you can only believe so much of it. By the way, what have you SEEN, not what have you read or heard, that makes you think the Mudlights are not a good tire? Just curious.

Comment

HL

Im not bashing HL, just stating a few general obersvations that I have noticed over the years. Its a good site and I have learned more than I care to describe from that page. I used to order all my aftermarket parts from them too. Once there is a common portrayal of a tire or atv a lot of users hold that opinion tight and hand if off as advice. Sometimes its helpful and sometimes its not. I know this happens on all forums, but when theres 20,000 members on a forum it happens on a large scale.

Back to the original subject. If you are willing to spent the extra dollar I would invest in offset rims too. The grizzlies I have rode were kind of tippy in off camber situations. Offset rims will help correct that. It really depends how many sidehills you will experience.
                          sigpic

Comment

HL Outlaws

I used to have a quad that I put Outlaws on along with a lift kit, skid plates, locker, etc. Had to have the 450 bored out to a 500 to turn the tires. 1 1/4" lugs is a lot of bite. All I can say is that they are bad ***** tires. Went places other quad wouldn't think about going.

Comment

My only experience with after market tires was to add 26 in Mudlites to my King Quad. My King Quad will go through mud holes that will stick my Polaris 6x6 with stock tires

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X