mandatory ATV accessories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mandatory ATV accessories?

Any mandatory ATV accessories for roaming the AK woods?

GR

Short trips

Winch, tire repair kit.

Longer trips add basic tools (mechanical and survival) and a partner.

Comment

Good tires, stick stoppers, winch.

Comment

beer, food, lighter, fire-arm. If un-familiar with area a GPS would be handy, and the above mentioned posts.

Comment

accessories

snacks, winch, extra tow strap (incase that tree is more than 50' away), firearm, gps, extra clothing, rainsuit. my satellite phone also always goes with me! Eric
          EricL

Comment

Better than stock tires.
            A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Beefier tires, winch, cargo bag, extra gas, electric compressor, and TOOLS. You can never have enough tools on the trail. I have a tackle box filled with them.
              sigpic

Comment

good info, thanks

What type of tires? Any recommended brand/model? Stock rims?

Who makes good stick stoppers?

I've got an '03 Honda Rancher.

Thanks

Comment

tires

i have itp mudlites. 1'' taller and 1'' wider than stock. they are mounted on itp aluminum wheels. These are on an '04 Rubicon. Eric
                  EricL

Comment

My Tricks

I have a 2500 pound winch on both of my machines but I also carry 100 feet of 1/2 inch rope and a rope come along just in case I am out by myself and need to get myself out of a bad situation. I've never needed it by the way.

I made a fishing rod holder out of a section of 4 inch ABS pipe with a cap on one end and a screw in plug on the other end. I attach this to the back rack with large hose clamps. You never know when you will be at a stream or a lake that needs fished. I have an ultra light reel inside the tube along with the 2 piece fishing rod and an assortment of small jigs and spinners. I have taken some nice fish incidently this way over the years. My rope and come along are bungied to the 4 inch pipe with all of this on the back side of the rear rack so that I can still load a tote or a cooler on the rack. Any questions on this I can enclose a picture to see.

I also have installed hand warmers on every one of my quads. I ride in some pretty cold weather and it just plain feels good to have them turned on.

A GPS bracket is a must too for me and I always reset my GPS when I leave my vehicle. When you are in the mountains above tree line you want to know where you went up over the top if you need to find the trail head back down. Sometimes that is the only way back down without encountering a steep roll over type of drop off and the trail is impossible to see in the bare rocks. You can shoot a waypoint at the breakover or you can follow the cookie crumb trail back off the mountain.

Comment

I have an 01 Rancher for the wife to ride. It sports 27" Blackwater XT's with a warn 2.0 and cargo bag. Also for winter riding hand warmers are a must.

With a rancher I would stick with 25" tires or maybe 26" if you want to spice things up. You will loose power though. The extra traction and durability will make up for it. The type of tire you need really depends on the terrain you ride. Tell us and we can make a better recommendation for tires.
                      sigpic

Comment

Contender,
                        Please post the pics. I'm interested in your setup.

As far as terrain, don't know yet. I'll be living in the Delta Junction area.
                        Any suggestions based on that? I was looking at the ITP 589 M/S.

Glenn
                        Last edited by GR; 06-30-2006, 04:14.

Comment

Originally posted by forAK
                          beer, food, lighter, fire-arm. If un-familiar with area a GPS would be handy, and the above mentioned posts.
                          I certainly hope the beer is for after the ride and not during. On tires, i also second the ITP Mudlites in 25x8x12 and 25x10x12, thats if you have 12 inch rims on the back but Ranchers usually have 11 inch. If you go with any bigger tire than a 25 you will feel a power loss on your machine. I also like to carry an ax and extra gas with me, you never know how far you may end up riding.

Comment

Blackwaters in Swap and Sell

There are some blackwaters in the swap forum that look like a god deal. Here is a guy I know running them on his rancher. they work pretty dang good. I run 27inch MudMachine BiTri Claws.
                            Attached Files
                            A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

27's are a little to big for a Rancher in my opinion, my wife has one and I would never let her put 27's on her machine. Stick with 25's.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X