No announcement yet.

Side by sides ruining trails.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes snowmachines can put ruts in trails but it takes alot more effort to do so. If some idiots is brapping his way down the trail it will make little mounds that turn into bigger bumps we know this. But when a snowmachine drives a consistent 10mph paddle tracks or not i do not think it can destroy a trail as much as a SxS can at 10mph. Snowmachines are ment to float on the snow SxS are not unless they have tracks on them (why do you think they started putting tracks on them to begin with). My point is that as soon as the SxS starts to bog or dig in (which it will on the trail unless the snow is wedding richard hard) you have to punch the gas and get out of it unlike a sled on a groomed trail. Thats why i think SxS can put more damage on a softer groomed snowmachine trail and thats just like my opinion man.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Snow machines leaving ruts is clearly operator generated. I have had a machine since 04 and only leave ruts in the woods when hauling firewood and the sled gets stuck or hunting and I bury it near willows or such. You would think that a 1" or 1.5" track might leave a deeper run having to get going. Apparently not. I drove from Koyukuk to Old Woman's cabin near Unalakleet during the Iditarod one year and I could not believe how torn up the trails were. Especially on small banks and hills. It was horrible the ditches that were dug right down into the dirt. Luckily I make my own trails.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

What Kwackkillncrew said is so true. Woop-de-woops versus ruts. Some guys we were talking to this weekend as we were digging out a buried gate apologized for any woops they left from brapping the throttle. They were riding on our trail to get to the mountains and have very high performance sleds with large paddles and a tiny brap throws quite a bit of snow, but is still mounds and valleys compared to ruts. In my riding, hitting mounds or valleys is much easier to adjust for than hitting a deep rut and having the machine want to lean over if ski falls in it. They were very nice about it and helped dig out the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by alexander View Post
          Want to bet on that? Your old scare em tactics don't work on real Alaskans!
          Excuse me? I am merely pointing out, that once you start down the slippery slope of restrictions, its difficult to stop part way. Dont screw yourself in your attempts to screw others.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenmm View Post
            Excuse me? I am merely pointing out, that once you start down the slippery slope of restrictions, its difficult to stop part way. Dont screw yourself in your attempts to screw others.

The people of Alexander, Beluga, and TYonek have used that tail long befor there ever was a road to Pt. Mac. We live here and have aright to access our land. NOt worried at all.

Comment

It is pretty clear in reading your threads on this subject the last couple years, Alexander, that you think that trail is somehow yours since you chose to live off grid and have to haul your supplies to your property daily in the winter time. I am almost certain that DNR has a lot of other pressing issues to deal with other than a grumpy ol timer who thinks the "townies" are ruining "his" trail. I have a SxS on tracks that I ride all over the Big Lake trails, Eureka and even up north in Trapper Creek area. Every time I am on the trails I have snow machiners pass by my wife & I and grab a handful to show how loud their sleds are & in doing so they throw snow and create a whoop that leads to a really unpleasant trail. There are way more sleds than SxS's running the trails. Maybe next time you leave the parking lot have a little taste off the rum you enjoy and take it slow on the rutted up flat light trail. It could save you a lot of aggravation

Comment

Originally posted by akhawk3 View Post
                It is pretty clear in reading your threads on this subject the last couple years, Alexander, that you think that trail is somehow yours since you chose to live off grid and have to haul your supplies to your property daily in the winter time. I am almost certain that DNR has a lot of other pressing issues to deal with other than a grumpy ol timer who thinks the "townies" are ruining "his" trail. I have a SxS on tracks that I ride all over the Big Lake trails, Eureka and even up north in Trapper Creek area. Every time I am on the trails I have snow machiners pass by my wife & I and grab a handful to show how loud their sleds are & in doing so they throw snow and create a whoop that leads to a really unpleasant trail. There are way more sleds than SxS's running the trails. Maybe next time you leave the parking lot have a little taste off the rum you enjoy and take it slow on the rutted up flat light trail. It could save you a lot of aggravation

Yep it's pretty clear to me your a Townie! Many people on this forum can vouch for me and know that what you say is nothing but hot air. Many on this forum message me and ask how conditions are winter and summer. Many on this forum are welcome at our guest cabin anytime. Many on this forum value this old timers experience and knowledge. You never will of course, because you are a townie!

Comment

Yep it's pretty clear to me your a Townie! Many people on this forum can vouch for me and know that what you say is nothing but hot air. Many on this forum message me and ask how conditions are winter and summer. Many on this forum are welcome at our guest cabin anytime. Many on this forum value this old timers experience and knowledge. You never will of course, because you are a townie!
                  Had a gal with bald tires on her 2 wheel peel truck wanted be to tow her up a hill in the snow with my F-150 Lariat. I told her I would tow her, but not with the 150. i would go get the F-250. She said, "oh, so this is your town truck then."
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
                    Had a gal with bald tires on her 2 wheel peel truck wanted be to tow her up a hill in the snow with my F-150 Lariat. I told her I would tow her, but not with the 150. i would go get the F-250. She said, "oh, so this is your town truck then."

Now that's funny! I towed a lady off the gas line last year in her Mercedes SUV on my SWT. She said google told her it was a road!

Comment

That thread was a waste of time I won't get back.

Comment

Where's the petition Alexander? I'll sign it. And I'd like see more petitions like this for places like lake Louise also.

Comment

I am having a hard time getting someone from DNR to even reply to me. I have requested a clarifacation of the rules regarding the rules of riding on the refuge and they have not answered me. Once they lift the restrictions due to the virus you can go to their offices so that would be my next step. Also I need to figure out how to post a petition on this website. I will ask Micheal and Brian if I can.

Comment

i have asked Michael if ai can post a petition. If so, can some of you help me draft the wording so we can get more than one persons ideas and input. Also if I can get a meeting set up with someone at DNR i will post it and get some of you to attend too.

Comment

If so, can some of you help me draft the wording so we can get more than one persons ideas and input.
                              I think that one of the main points of your petition should be that a lot of property and cabin owners that maintain the trails and use the trails to haul freight depend on those trails for their livelihood. Recreational users should be mindful and considerate of those people. Not only is improper use of the trails a major inconvenience, quite frankly it's also safety concern.

It should be posted in big signs that ALL ATVs should stay off the groomed trails PERIOD, otherwise they risk a citation and/or fine. That's my 2 cents.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X