Crown Point Mine/Fall Creek Mine Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown Point Mine/Fall Creek Mine Trail

Does anyone have info on this trail(s)? Supposedly north of Seward just off the highway.

If this is the same falls creek in moose pass, yeah I've been there. nice trail. the trail brings you right to the glacier. I've been up there sheep hunting but seen alot more goats than sheep. If your gonna camp, not much cover or wind break but some areas are doable.

Comment

Difficulty of the trail?

Blink, thanks for the reply. How would you rate the difficulty of the trail? And are there any restrictions on ATV use?

Comment

Its been a couple of years but they had a gate across the trail head. Looked like a homemade gate and there is a home right next to the trail head. I hiked it but there were ATV's buzzing up and down the trail. Didnt see any signs prohibiting ATV use or stateing private property. There is a trail around the gate. It doesnt look like a state gate.

Trail is up from the trail head for a mile or 2 and then levels off when you get to the valley floor. from there is a small creek to cross. the trail will then T and staying to the south end (ptarmigan lake side) its pretty nice. didnt go on the other side. its easy enough where a good 2wd ATV can make it with no problems.

Comment

Trail info

Thanks for the info.

Comment

They are two different trails. One on each side of Falls Creek. One on the north side goes up in the mountains about three miles. One on the south side goes to the ice field about ten miles in. Lots of good goat and black bear hunting in both trails. Very easy trails.
            "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
            ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

trail

There is a road at the south side of the highway bridge that turns in to a trail and will go up to the mine.

Comment

Crown Point Mine

Found the trail after a little bit of searching. Ended up going up the Falls Creek Trail arm up the mountain. Hit snow on the trail at just under 2400 feet of elevation. No animals sighted but some bear scat on the trail. Next time we'll try the other arm. Overall fun ride and a fantastic view.

Comment

Anyone know how much snow is up there?

Comment

I don't know the specifics for this trail, but keep in mind that just about everything in the Chugach National Forest is off-limits to ATVs.

Comment

were is this trail
                      Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Comment

Yea I was thinking of hiking it more than anything. And the trail is between ptarmigan and grant lake on the way to Seward

Comment

I would suggest that you contact the Forest Service. I believe that the south side trail known as either Falls Creek or Skene Leckner (sp) named after the miner, is restricted to motorized vehicles by Forest Service up where it flattens out above tree line. The Crown Point trail, north side, is good for bird hunting and switchbacks up to an old mine. The mine is on the south side of the glacier andcan bee seen form the end of the trail. There are also some narrow gage mine shafts along that side if you hike/side hill back a ittle bit

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0604.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2481715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0609.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2481716went up to the mine last week in my Argo, saw one black bear and he was a bruiser but about a thousand yards from where I was and couldn't find a way to where he was did get a picture but he looks like a dot in it. Was a beautiful day and the snow was just below the mine easy ride on any wheeler and there was truck tire tracks to the switchback below the mine so somebody has some huge ones to go that high gets a little narrow up there!

Comment

I can almost see my house in the photo with Kenai Lake in the background. I've been up there at least a hundred times over that last 20 years on a dirt bike, 4 wheeler, snow machine, Jeep and even my old Blazer, and it never gets old.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X