No announcement yet.

Polaris Big Boss A-arm update out from Polaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:question:There appears to be only 6 grease fittings,one on each a arm,is that correct ?

Comment

Yes.. I replaced the rear zerks with 45 zerks and the fronts with 90 ones to make it easier to get in there with a grease gun. And regarding the a arm bolts check the front ones for tightness after you get a few miles on your machine as they seem to be loose for most after a while.
      If you care you can get TRC red grease at Reeve Air by Merrill Field which is all I like to use....good product.

Comment

Cwoods,,thanks much,,,I'll check it out ,,,,been using chevron grease for many years the blue colored stuff ,seems to do the job,I use it on everything,also what is your rpm range in low and high,,and miles per hour

Comment

Sent ya a pm Riverben

Comment

Cwoods ,not sure how to check a pm,not to computer savvy

Comment

Cwoods,I figured it out thanks for the info,,,as far as the a arm situation there is not enough grease in there from the factory for my liking,,I'm going to give them all a darn good greasing,I think that will help a lot

Comment

Time to load the big boss for next week. I did a quick check of all the bolts. Front right was loose like usual--I haven't added any locktight; the rear left arm bolt was missing the head. Grabbed a spare and a washer and replaced in about ten minutes which included removing the old nut for re-use. I don't think I've ever broken a rear. Thankfully nothing was bent. I don't usually check that side but will now. Question: Is it easier on the machine to make two trips over tussocks with half a moose, or make one trip with a whole moose? I did two trips but now I wonder. ps--I've no idea how to make paragraphs on here

Comment

I too am loaded and ready for another week to go by!
                  The friend who made my bolts said he indeed had some fellow miners he knew who broke a few of the rears as well as the braces that tie each side together (what I call dog bone braces) which is why I did what I did on all 4 rears plus having the braces re-cut in much stronger steel. I would be checking rears regularly as well if I was still with the stock setup.
                  I'm hearing from fellow workers here on the Slope that this bolt upgrade from Hatcher Pass has nothing at all to do with Polaris but is something they themselves came up with and sourced out to have made and try, anyone else confirm that? Regardless I hope it helps.
                  As far as the load carried out...imo it should perform to the payload suggested by Polaris without this issue. I'm just glad I went through what I did on mine, I don't like those kinds of surprises and even though everything has the potential to fail I feel confident with that bull in the bed.

Comment

Anyone tried the update from Hatchers Pass? Any problems with the new set up breaking? Just picked them up and getting ready to put them on the Big Boss tonight.

Comment

I'm needing to swing by as well for a preemptive replacement. I'm getting mixed messages as to weather it's a Hatcher's fix or a genuine Polaris fix. Hatchers claims it's a Polaris part, but non of the other Polaris deals seem to know about it.

Comment

I just had a thought (imagine that!). Could the so-called dog bone brace that ties the two sides together be the stresser? I feel A LOT of flex in the frame (seat) when going over hummocks and rocks. The two bolts I have broken were sheared on the threaded end which would be weaker than the head end. Is the flexing frame creating this problem or is it the stress of the susspension going over rocks? I was looking at my 6x with the bed up sitting next to my 500HO and remembered being told that the front suspension on these two are the same. I then started questioning how many rear A arm bolts have been broken on the 4 wheelers. None that I have read about. I think I may be on to something. What do all of you think? Is the flexing frame doing this? Can we beef it up or would simply removing the dog bone brace eliminate the issue? hmmmmm.

Comment

I broke yet another bolt on my big boss. This is my fourth one. I had just installed the "fix kit" from Hatchers Pass on the center set because i had never had a problem with the rear ones and wouldn't ya know it, I broke a rear one. First time this has happened to me. Luckily I heard it break and was able to do a easy trail side fix. I'm also wondering about the brace that ties the two sides together. Especially since the one I broke on the rear set was at the head of the bolt and not on the nut side like the middle ones have been. I wouldn't mind taking the brace off and trying in out but not sure what all it would effect. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by moosehunter83 View Post
                            I broke yet another bolt on my big boss. This is my fourth one. I had just installed the "fix kit" from Hatchers Pass on the center set because i had never had a problem with the rear ones and wouldn't ya know it, I broke a rear one. First time this has happened to me. Luckily I heard it break and was able to do a easy trail side fix. I'm also wondering about the brace that ties the two sides together. Especially since the one I broke on the rear set was at the head of the bolt and not on the nut side like the middle ones have been. I wouldn't mind taking the brace off and trying in out but not sure what all it would effect. Any thoughts?
                            If that is the brace that the bolt goes through make sure your bolt goes through it! I had one that wasn't and the bracket that the bolt goes through tore and bent down. So limping back out with a rachet strap keeping pressure off the tire and then 2 hours of bending, welding, etc. it is now fixed a hell of a lot better than factory. But lining that bracket up after something bends is not fun. Almost mind boggling that the engineers came up with that design.....

Comment

Not sure which brace you are referring to, but the one I'm talking about ties both sides (left and right of machine) together. I just think this has something to do with it. Hoping to put a few more miles on to see if the fix kit from Hatchers Pass is the answer before I try something else.

Comment

Just wondering if everybody who has experienced broken bolts checked them before the first time you rode it. I did, all of them were loose. One I could turn with my fingers. I found a torque spec list(can't find it now) on line and torqued all of the bolts to those specs. I have 350 miles and have not broke a bolt. It sounds like I am riding mine the same way as everybody else. Just a thought...

Sent when I should be doing my chores.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X