4' axle to build a trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4' axle to build a trailer

This has probably been addressed before, but I don't get on here to often.

Looking for somewhere in alaska that would sell these. ( hubs and springs attached )

Thanks.

Six Robblies, trailercraft....or make your own....

Comment

You will have a hard time finding a 4' axle. I can build one for you if you like. Just shoot me a pm.
      AKmud
      sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

I found this one, but the shipping probably would kill me.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FY17fgodZaEAOQ

I'm looking to build a trailer that I can haul the wheeler on behind the truck then double to pull behind the wheeler. I only have to do 13 miles of highway speeds so not to worried about burning up the bearings.( I think, lol.)

Comment

Why don't you have the person who is going to weld up the trailer also make the axle, it not that hard and would save you a lot of money.

Comment

Well I was going to try to do the trailer myself, just the axle has me preplexed as to making it safe for the highway. I apperciate all the response's guys.

Comment

Axles really aren't hard...some 2"x1/4" square (or round) tubing and a pair of spindles. Just leave the spindles sticking out of the tubing 1/4-1/2" so you can weld around them. Make sure to protect the threads and bearing surfaces from spatter. I use a finger off an old leather glove usually.

I like to drill a 1/2" hole in the tubing an inch or two in and plug weld the spindle as well for some added insurance. Spring center pads are simple. Just weld them on at the proper width for your frame members (I'd do this after the frame is built).
              AKmud
              sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

How do you align the spindles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Use a tape measure to align the spindles.

Mark a point at the center of the tongue at the tip. Now measure from that point to the same location on the each spindle. When the distance is the same the trailer will track down the road.

Comment

i have a 5' axle with bearings and hubs already on it. you just need springs. If you want it i will almost give it to you.

Comment

And do a search for trailer axles.. there has been a lot of discussion about buying vs building. Trailercraft sold me bare axles for $80 each.. that's almost half of what six robbers wants.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X