Dalton Hwy to Bettles on ATV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalton Hwy to Bettles on ATV

I was just wondering if you can travel to Bettles from Dalton Hwy on an ATV during summer time or is it too marshy and uncross-able rivers?

I believe it is illegal to operate an ATV off the Dalton Highway anywhere north of the Yukon River: http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/rec..._recreate.html

Comment

Unless you're local
      If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

The BLM can't deny you access to legally established trails/roads. The winter road to Bettles is a legal road. They cannot deny you access to mining claims or other private property on your established trails. That being said, driving a 4wheeler to Bettles in the summer would not be a good idea. There are many reasons that it is used as a winter road, not a summer road... You can fly from Coldfoot to Bettles for pretty cheap...why drive a 4wheeler in there?

Comment

Originally posted by pipercub View Post
          The BLM can't deny you access to legally established trails/roads. The winter road to Bettles is a legal road. They cannot deny you access to mining claims or other private property on your established trails. That being said, driving a 4wheeler to Bettles in the summer would not be a good idea. There are many reasons that it is used as a winter road, not a summer road... You can fly from Coldfoot to Bettles for pretty cheap...why drive a 4wheeler in there?
          Sorry, I meant to add the caveat about the established trails/roads part. Posted before I put that part in and didn't notice it was missing. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

I was wondering mostly because on one hand I new you could not travel off to Dalton Hwy across that 5 mile corridor to hunt, then I was just reading something somewhere I don't remember were ( I think it was Alaska Magazine) that said their was a winter road and 4x4 trail to Bettles. So I was just curious.

Comment

That is the winter trail from the Dalton to Bettles that you read about. I think there are a few pictures posted on Google Earth from the trail.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X