What's really the best ATV 4X4 for Alaska?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fergy
    replied
    Chris with the way you fab and upgrade your machines it would not matter which one you had. It would end up the best for AK. Love what you and AlaskaSD are doing with the 6x6's. Still have to stand by the ranger with camoplast.

Leave a comment:

• cwoods
    replied
    I have to say my Honda Forman 450 has been a flawless hunting machine for the last 11 years. For me its the perfect size to handle in the rough stuff, the durability has been outstanding and its always had enough grunt to get the meat back to the truck. I've added such things as a DGL,gear reduction,stiffer springs etc etc to take care of some of the stock shortcomings but the reliability of the machine as a whole has been excellent and when breakdowns can take so much from the hunt not having them is a pleasure.
    I like the 450's platform so much that in the back of my mind I was always thinking what will I do when this one is all used up? With the new models slowly making the change to water cooled and more electronics I was getting nervous about ever finding another with the simplicity and reliability to offer. So....one day a couple years ago, I see on Craigslist a 2003 450S being advertised with 400 miles on it. It has been sitting back up in my storage for a couple years now waiting for my 02' to die and with many more miles than the other its not showing any give up whatsoever. Btw....my Wife rides a Honda 300 that's stuff as nails and gets the job done for as small as it is.
    With all that being said I bought a 2013 Polaris Big Boss and it will be taking me to the hunting grounds in a short couple of weeks this year, if you've seen my other thread on here you know I've gone through months of upgrading the machine to make me more confident it will bring me and my harvest back out of the woods without issues. Well, I am in fact nervous....with all the electronics,water cooling etc etc. I am very maintenance minded and have had my Honda apart many times to routine service it, when the 6by came home it went right in the garage and started getting pulled apart for upgrades. When you get everything out in the open the quality,fit and finish is NOTHING like my ole Honda....just isn't.
    I bought the 6by because I know what they can do with those extra 2 wheels turning and the cargo space. It will mean the difference in being able to bring out more than one moose and one blackie between my partner and I in our hard to get to area and hopefully eleviate some of the many many winch areas on our trek. I won't discount the 6by without this true test in a few weeks but for me the best atv is an atv that will not break down with a maintenance minded owner taking care of it.
    What I do know is however the Polaris performs.... Im not going to be caught Honda-less!

Leave a comment:

• IglooBoy88
    replied
    Honda 500 Foreman.

Leave a comment:

• alaska_pike
    replied
    I got the bearcat 454 with some pretty beefy tires. A lighter machine can be a big advantage somtimes in the alaskan terrain.

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    700's to big for most things, but when you need those extra horsies, well?

Originally posted by mjm316 View Post
    Nice choice AKBEE! I'm sure you will be more than happy with your decision
    Second that. And I've had a 700 Grizz with PS and love it; mostly I've felt it to be overpowered, but I come from the days when the largest ATV made anywhere/by-anybody was half that size. Though I do have to say there were a couple times I was very glad to have that big power available - and it saved me. The downside is that I don't let my kids drive the 700 ever. I got a Polaris 330 AWD they can use, whose top speed is 42 mph, my Grizzly's top end is more than 60 mph - that's when I shut'er down. Going faster than that is for those without families; it scares me.

About nobody mentioning Can Ams... that was one of the times I was really really glad I had the 700cc thing going on, was towing a Can Am & small framed driver that took a river swim that it didn't enjoy, like 10 or so miles back to trailhead - I darn near flipped then almost stopped no-progress-possible, hauling that heavyazz thing up a good slope - I had all four tires (ITP swamplites, not the awful stock tires) turning slowing and smoking - all - and while I slowed to maybe 1/4 mph at the toughest point, it finally did haul it up there without resorting to winching. A 550 definitely would not have. But that's not normal use. I remember at the toughest moment I think my nose actually touched and held at the front rack (weight forward!)

After making it to the top of that with no deaths I stopped well over the peak so our party behind could all join us on the top trail and we took a real nice break right there for awhile. I was still shaking a little, and a cold beverage worked the kicks out of the hands just fine. Most involved sat about in the shady woods with nice breeze on a sunny day - what's not to love.

Hunting... Helping other Hunters... It's all the same. You gotta do a bit of both.

Leave a comment:

• BluNosDav
    replied
    I've noticed that not much is mentioned, good or bad, about the Can-Am's.
    Is it their high price that makes them impractical to consider, or something else?

Maybe it's like a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota vs Honda debate.
    Where nobody mentions Mercedes Benz. Just wonderin'???

Thanx, Dave.

Leave a comment:

• mjm316
    replied
    Nice choice AKBEE! I'm sure you will be more than happy with your decision

Leave a comment:

• AKBEE
    replied
    I am new to the ATV world after riding many motorcycles. I looked and read as much as I could- then decided on Grizzly 550 EPS for me and my wife. I know they aren't the biggest or baddest but seem like a great rig for a fair price and the dealer in Big Lake was great to deal with. I really enjoy reading y'alls posts and I admit I would love to have a Big Boss like some posted here!

Leave a comment:

• .338 mag.
    replied
    A new all shaft Big Boss 6x6 with a good winch, up graded tires, bed extension, hot grips and thumb warmer is the best ATV for Alaska, unless you want to ante up for a Argo with tracks. A 4 wheeler can't tow or haul what these rigs can tow and haul. For hoping on a seat and mashing the throttle then a 4 wheeler has a bigger fun button!

Leave a comment:

• AlaskanSD
    replied
    Pass by at 15mph with only your tires for suspension! haha

Everyone picks their poison. They are capable rigs.

Leave a comment:

• gokorn1
    replied
    Im glad your not interested in an Argo. Your one more person I get to pass by!!

Leave a comment:

• Money Pit
    replied
    Atv for playing is different than an atv for hunting. Even though you don't like Polaris the best hunting atv out there is a Big Boss 6x6.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    the best 4 wheeler is simple.....the one that works best for you and matches your style and areas you typically hunt....
    me I would want a dealer close by for service..
    where I am using my wheeler next week aSXS cant make it and where I harvested my goat a wheeler saved me an extra 6 miles but again a side x side would never make it there...but when I take my 70 yo dad out caribou hunting its more comfy for him in my ranger... if I crossed a lot of mud I would go for a 6x6...
    in this day and age there is no best just different..

Leave a comment:

• mauserboy
    replied
    Geez, this thread reminded me of my '86 Suzuki 125 quad, the original 4 wheeler, I think. Great for a smooth dirt road and that's it!! No ground clearance, no suspension, no power, two wheel drive. Point your feet down on the tundra and you can get them bent around the foot pegs. Trouble was, the **** thing wouldn't die! And I tried. Then I got a 92 Quad Runner. Manna from heaven. Sigh. . . .

Leave a comment:

• BIGAKSTUFF
    replied
    My brother-in-law was torn about what wheelers to get also, I told him to get some honda's. I have a 2000 rancher 350 that JUST WONT DIE, i thought it had clutch problems this year.....nope, just needed a new battery. This year I got the 2013 Foreman 500, love it so far, the rancher became my wifes machine.

What did he do? He went out and bought a AC 700, and a AC Mudpro 1000. So far, the Mudpro has been in the shop 4 times, the 700 has been back 5 times and needs to go back because the fuse keeps blowing for the cooling fan and he cant figure out why. They also both had multiple problems shifting into 4WD. They just seem like chinsy machines, look cool as heck, just cant seem to stand up to this rough alaskan terrain. We went riding on Sunday, his boy got stuck on the 700 in a bog for just a few minutes before getting winched out. Dang thing wouldn't move after that! Of course, the belt got wet (belt driven machines...tsk tsk) and we had to drain it out and wait an hour before we could get it to drive right. The mudpro tore a boot on the way back, both Hondas in the group came off the trail beggin' for more!

I agree that Yamahas are tough as well, I had an old timberwolf that also wouldn't die.

Leave a comment:

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X