Best Socks for Hiking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Socks for Hiking?

I know... not the most compelling topic for a new thread. However, I plan to do a lot of hiking this summer, and I'm sick and tired of the blisters caused by my regular old athletic-cut cotton socks. What kind of socks should I be wearing if I plan to log 10 miles per day with a fifty-pound pack? Where is the best place to buy them?

Thanks.

I really like my SmartWool socks. They go on sale on-line periodically and Outdoorsman Warehouse has great sales at times as well.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Comment

I second the recommendation for Smartwool. I like to use their medium to heavy weight socks for hiking.

Comment

Smartwool. I prefer the light hiking version, but the medium hiking ones are good as well. My feet sweat too much with the heavy version and I like my boots to fit tightly enough that heavy socks would take up too much room, but to each their own. Check out a few pairs of Smartwool - your feet will thank you.

Comment

I have both smartwools of light, med, and heavy i wear depending seasons and what and how active I am. I also sport the Thorlos as well. Both good sock IMO.

Comment

Redhead Lifetime Socks

Anyone try these???? I bought one pair just to check them out due to the fact that they are $10 and "lifetime" warranty. When I got them I immediately bought two more pair (extra for me and my wife). They seem to be very nice so far and at 10 bucks/pair isnt too bad even if they dont replace them.

Just a thought.

Comment

Injinji

Check out Injinji socks. They are pretty weird at first but you have to try them to believe. They are the greatest things I have ever put on my feet! They are synthetic and great at moisture wicking, and they significantly cut down on blisters.

Comment

Smartwools are great socks, but I have had a hard time getting them to dry on a long trip due to the wool content. Thorloghs have also worked great and are quick drying.
                Pretty much available all over town at outdoor places a notch up from Wal-mart

Comment

Smart wool it shall be. The Injinji socks frighten me.

Comment

"The Injinji socks frighten me."

They frightened me at first as well. I tried them out on a recommendation from a friend and loved them. I have had problems in the past with blisters on the sides of my toes and these fixed the problem right away.

Comment

Thorlo

I like the Thorlo brand socks. For summer and fall, their Thick Cushion Hiking socks are great, which are a wool and thorlon blend. Plus, they are made in the USA.

Comment

Was in Barney's the other day and the guy there was talking about how great these were:

http://www.darntough.com/

Said they didn't bunch up as much as SW ones. I use SW light, med and heavy. I have too much invested in all these socks to go spend more on new socks. at least not until these start falling apart.

Comment

My feet sweat a lot, so I use Smartwool's sock liners as my hiking socks. If I worried about blisters I'd back them up with really thin nylon dress socks.

Cutting back on the pack weight might help with blisters. I used to haul a 45 lb pack for a 3-day hike, then I developed bunions. Cutting my pack weight in half helped with my foot problems.
                          Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Comment

Originally posted by Coaldust View Post
                            I like the Thorlo brand socks. For summer and fall, their Thick Cushion Hiking socks are great, which are a wool and thorlon blend. Plus, they are made in the USA.
                            I second Thorlo socks. They are really nice ones.
                            I do have some Smartwool socks, too.
                            Maybe moleskin for your blisters?
                            Lurker.

Comment

SmartWool-- the heavier the better. I used to like their lightweight but they started to cause some irritation -- too abrasive. The heavy version runs hotter but as long as I am moving I don't notice it, it's when I stop for a break that's when the heat starts to built up. Solution? Socks and boots off for 2-3 minutes when in camp -- most of the moisture evaporates and your feet cool down. Works great!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X