Couscous recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couscous recipes

Lets here everyones best recipes for couscous or any other light weight trail food. I'm trying to come up with a list of stuff to try during the winter. I plan on taking my boys on an long trip and I need to find some meals they will like.

although having to deal with hiking, this might be better served in the
    PANTRY section

Comment

For winter camping in the cold, it's important to be eating fats and protein. You just aren't going to be able to keep your energy up and stay warm with simple carbohydrates.
      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Couscous recipe:

Cook in pan, look at it then throw in garbage........nasty tasting stuff.
        Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

Pardon Me

Does anyone have a picture of a CousCous, I'm not sure I've every seen one. And when does season open on them; Are they vicious ?
          NOW, back to how to cook one .

Comment

Great stuff...

I like couscous quite a bit. Perhaps others here who are not certain of it have just never eaten it well prepared.

First off, I cook it with a generous quantity of olive oil. And I like to add a generous amount of cheese for a topping. That helps with the fat content for winter eating.

One of my favorite ways to prepare it is with fried onions and garlic. Couscous by itself is not very interesting.

David
            Originally posted by FB Don View Post
            Lets here everyones best recipes for couscous or any other light weight trail food. I'm trying to come up with a list of stuff to try during the winter. I plan on taking my boys on an long trip and I need to find some meals they will like.
            David M Johnson
            Anchorage, Alaska
            http://awildolivebranch.blogspot.com

Comment

David

Originally posted by David Johnson View Post
              I like couscous quite a bit. Perhaps others here who are not certain of it have just never eaten it well prepared.

First off, I cook it with a generous quantity of olive oil. And I like to add a generous amount of cheese for a topping. That helps with the fat content for winter eating.

One of my favorite ways to prepare it is with fried onions and garlic. Couscous by itself is not very interesting.

David
              Where did you get your couscous ? Got a picture of it, how big was it? I assume they're real lean if you need to cook in olive oil and add lots of cheese for fat. Sounds good though, I like about anything smoothered in onions with a sprinkle of garlic.

Comment

It's a grain made from wheat. It looks kind of like rice but has less flavor. But it does take flavor well from other things you cook it with.
                Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
                http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Comment

Help?

Originally posted by brav01 View Post
                  Where did you get your couscous ? Got a picture of it, how big was it? I assume they're real lean if you need to cook in olive oil and add lots of cheese for fat. Sounds good though, I like about anything smoothered in onions with a sprinkle of garlic.
                  Here's some pictures and facts about the elusive couscous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couscous

If you were to boil it up, and eat it plain... well, it would be dry, boring, and about as exciting as chewing up a cardboard box from Amazon.COM

Add some fat content (olive oil is probably the 'healthiest', but butter or bacon grease can not be excluded, saute an onion in the oil, butter, etc)... at home I'll use chicken stock in place of water for a little extra flavor.
                  Boil up the requisite amount of water (or stock).
                  Top with a bit of parmesan cheese, veggies (I like broccoli and sweet bell pepper pieces - raw is quite good), and maybe even a grouse breast or diced rabbit. And you're eating pretty good in the wilderness!

Comment

It is great stuff. The nice thing is that it absorbs the flavor of other items instead of having its own flavor. Just boil in a little water then use it instead of bread or potato. Place it next to a back strap, and it tastes like back strap Place some fried in olive oil asparagus and it tastes like asparagus:eek: My favorite is to use it with saute portabellas! Can be found in the bulk section or Fred Meyers among other places.
                    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Comment

add it to freeze dried dinners

We take it with when Mountain House meals are on the menu. A good lightweight way to add another couple hundred calories to your daily diet. Add about half a cup (plain dry couscous) to your MH meal before adding the hot water. When you add the boiling water, make sure to put in enough extra for the couscous too. Stir thouroghly and let it sit as per MH directions. Stir thouroghly prior to eating so it will taste like whatever flavor MH you have.

I also eat the flavored/seasoned varieties at home as a side dish. Pretty good stuff IMHO.

Comment

pure deliciousness

couscous.
                        milk.
                        dried fruit.
                        chopped nuts.
                        add honey to taste.
                        serve hot.
                        mmmmmm. mmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by bairdi View Post
                          We take it with when Mountain House meals are on the menu. A good lightweight way to add another couple hundred calories to your daily diet. Add about half a cup (plain dry couscous) to your MH meal before adding the hot water. When you add the boiling water, make sure to put in enough extra for the couscous too. Stir thouroghly and let it sit as per MH directions. Stir thouroghly prior to eating so it will taste like whatever flavor MH you have.

I also eat the flavored/seasoned varieties at home as a side dish. Pretty good stuff IMHO.
                          +1

I also have done the same with instant mashed potatos.

Comment

For anyone wanting addtional recipes, be sure to check out Backpacker Magazine forum at their website. I was there recently and there was a very active thread in the backcountry cooking (or similar) forum with couscous recipes.
                            The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

Originally posted by akfaller View Post
                              couscous.
                              milk.
                              dried fruit.
                              chopped nuts.
                              add honey to taste.
                              serve hot.
                              mmmmmm. mmmm.

Mmmm that does sound yummy. Heh, I'm giving points for it!
                              Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
                              http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X