Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My expedition across Alaska - 1100 miles in 57 days

Hi!

Great to find a outdoors forum for Alaska I want to share some content from our expedition across Alaska. Last year, my wife and I celebrated our honeymoon hiking and paddling across Alaska from Kaktovik in northeast to Unalakleet in southwest. We hiked across the Tundra, through Brooks Range (Guilbeau Pass) and rafted East Fork Chandalar river to Arctic Village. There we spent 5 days with the Athabascans before we floated East Fork Chandalar, Chandalar and Yukon River down to Kaltag. Then we hiked the Iditarod trail from Kaltag to Unalakleet. We spent 57 days, and the route was 1100 miles long.

My wife got unlucky. She started the trip with inflammations, then she got staphylococcus and later she topped it with Beaver Fever. So we had some issues to deal with, but she is tenacious so she didn't quit We also encountered 16 bears and saw so much wildlife along the way.

It was such an amazing trip!

Anyways: we have just uploaded two episodes in a seires of four on Youtube. I'd love to hear your response to them, and will happily answer any questions. The remaining two episodes will come very soon.

Fabelaktig! Bra gjort!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

Comment

Looking forward to the next two!
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Part 3 of our expedition across Alaska. In this episode we're paddling from Arctic Village to Ruby on East Fork Chandalar, Chandalar and Yukon River. Kristina, who has suffered from inflammation and staphylococcus over the tundra and mountains, was very happy that we could paddle to spare her bad foot. But the excitement was short lived. She soon got Beaver Fever, and had to deal with it for 14 days. Enjoy!

Comment

Good job. Thanks for showing gear in the background and for showing emotions.

Comment

Awesome adventure!! If you did the same trip again what would you do differently?

Comment

BTK Thanks! Yeah, we like to keep it authentic.

Birdstrike I would definitely have brought metronidazole. We had a lot of important medication, but we skipped metronidazole because we thought that Beaver Fever was unthinkable as long as we sticked to our routines. Kristina had to suffer ALOT from Beaver Fever. I would also have tested our tripwire system and blanks combination before we started We didn't - I know!! So at day 7 or 8, Kristina tripped both wires and it didn't work! The bolt had to be tightened. Other than that, I think we were well prepared. I also regret that we didn't spend more time to enjoy Brooks Range. It's so beautiful up there, but we kind of rushed through it.

Comment

The 4th and final episode in this series. In this episode we're hiking from Kaltag to Unalakleet. We tried to follow the winter trail (the Iditarod trail), but it was so overgrown! This place was all willows and swamps. It was also a lot of bears in this area. We encountered 7 bears in less than 24 hours. Anyways, I leave the rest to the video. I hope you like it!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X