Bear def

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear def

My father asked me to pose this question to yall. He’s planning on a hiking trip, and is asking for a critique on his plans.

Greetings and thanks to those hosting this forum, and those that are offering their council on these life and death issues.

Im hiking into the Alaskan wilderness for the first time. I have some knowledge of firearms as a self defense instructor but we’re talking bears not people here.
    this is what I’m going to do for my self defense for bears when I go.

first, I will have one or two dogs with me, preferably two, to act as warnings and initial distraction to give me time to bring my guns to bear on the bear(no pun intended).
    the gun I am choosing as a sidearm that will be on my person every step of the way is a Draco AK47 type handgun with a 30 round magazine, loaded with 154gr 7.62x39 cartridges.
    secondly, I will have in my backpack within reach a pistol gripped 12 ga shotgun, loaded with 4 buck buckshot and rifled slugs.

I would appreciate any constructive criticisms on my plans, and thank you in advance for your time and repsonses.

heres hoping to survive a hike in the beautiful state of Alaska.
    Enness

Originally posted by arnoldr45 View Post
    My father asked me to pose this question to yall. He’s planning on a hiking trip, and is asking for a critique on his plans.

Greetings and thanks to those hosting this forum, and those that are offering their council on these life and death issues.

Im hiking into the Alaskan wilderness for the first time. I have some knowledge of firearms as a self defense instructor but we’re talking bears not people here.
    this is what I’m going to do for my self defense for bears when I go.

first, I will have one or two dogs with me, preferably two, to act as warnings and initial distraction to give me time to bring my guns to bear on the bear(no pun intended).
    the gun I am choosing as a sidearm that will be on my person every step of the way is a Draco AK47 type handgun with a 30 round magazine, loaded with 154gr 7.62x39 cartridges.
    secondly, I will have in my backpack within reach a pistol gripped 12 ga shotgun, loaded with 4 buck buckshot and rifled slugs.

I would appreciate any constructive criticisms on my plans, and thank you in advance for your time and repsonses.

heres hoping to survive a hike in the beautiful state of Alaska.
    Enness
    honestly, sounds like a little underpowered.

In all seriousness, leave the dogs, and take just the shotgun or a pistol. The odds of you encountering a bear attack are in your favor. All that extra weight isnt needed. Dogs can be nice, but they can also bring that bear right into your path. Leave the AK and just bring the shotgun. If you got a 44 mag (or 10mm) or something similar, just carry that handgun.

Comment

First, I'd tell your father to worry more about weather exposure than bears. He may already be well aware of this, but far more lives are lost in Alaska due to hypothermia and drowning than to bears. Folks tend to spend too much effort preparing for bears and too little concerning appropriate gear and survival skills.

That said, for a bear-specific firearm, it's generally considered best to use something that fires heavy projectiles that carry a lot of energy. The round you reference in his handgun seems a little light. I personally carry a 44mag shooting heavy bullets, but some consider that too light as well. It's always a compromise. For me, I know that I'll carry the handgun I have (it's a titanium/scandium model and I hardly notice it's on my chest), whereas I would be inclined to leave something heavier behind since much of my hiking is of the light/fast variety. A shotgun is a good option, but it won't do him any good in his backpack in a truly dangerous situation. Yeah, the dogs will help, but bear encounters can happen incredibly quickly. I was charged by one this summer, and I had less than a second between when I saw the bear and when it was sprinting at me.

Again, though, most folks are too concerned about bear attacks. It's good to be prepared, but mostly your father should be encouraged to just enjoy his time and to be sure to carry warm and waterproof gear. Avoid getting wet, and avoid river crossings that he's not certain he can do safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
        The round you reference in his handgun seems a little light.
        Yes, it is a little light, but 30 of them in fast succession becomes heavy pretty quick to what's being hit with em. Just like Jake likes his 10mm......a little light? Yes, but 10 of them in the right spot can make a pretty big statement. If it were me, like you with the 44, I'd just carry my 45 colt. But if he really feels he has to have something "better" I'd leave the Drako home and go with the shotgun (in my hands)....wouldn't take both. Besides, if he takes the shotgun he could bring some birdshot and maybe have a couple grouse dinners along the way....
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
        Working...
        X