Looking for dayhike near Seward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for dayhike near Seward

I will be going down to Seward next week and I am looking for a good 2-4 mile hike. I will have some family visiting from North Carolina (my home state) and want to show them some pretty scenery. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

A couple of ideas for you, Dan. First, take the drive up to Exit Glacier. It's beautiful, and you can certainly walk around up there a bit. The Lost Lake trail starts right near Seward as well. It's a longer hike than you mention, but you can always turn around when you're feeling done. Likewise, the end of Johnson Pass isn't too far from Seward, so a few miles of that would be an option.

If you don't mind 3 miles of uphill hiking, I think Crater Lake is an awesome hike. You top out on a nice lake surrounded by mountains, and you'll be mostly alone. Great option, but you'll certainly break a sweat.

-Brian

Comment

More options

Brian had some good ideas. The Carter Lake hike is awesome but a committment. Right across from Exit Glacier is the Resurrection River Trail head. Vagt Lake would be an easy hike. The hike to Ptarmigan Lake is a fairly easy 3 mile jaunt that follows a pretty stream and ends at a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains.
      www.provingtrailadventures.com

Comment

I agree with the Ptarmigan Lake hike. Beautiful scenery and fairly easy.

Comment

After exit glacier try the bay

Dan,
          If they want you want to hike along Ress. bay there is a trailhead that starts by Millers landing. It is a mile to Tonsina creek, where you cross the bridge & then can hike the shoreline all the way to Caines head if the tide is out.
          The hike to the creek is easy & usually worth the short amount of time as the salmon spawn in the creek later in the season.

Comment

seward hike

One of the prettiest hikes i ever took was the lost lake trail. You get above timber can see the ocean and there is a beautiful water fall. The fishing is also great! Chef

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
              A couple of ideas for you, Dan. First, take the drive up to Exit Glacier. It's beautiful, and you can certainly walk around up there a bit. The Lost Lake trail starts right near Seward as well. It's a longer hike than you mention, but you can always turn around when you're feeling done. Likewise, the end of Johnson Pass isn't too far from Seward, so a few miles of that would be an option.

If you don't mind 3 miles of uphill hiking, I think Crater Lake is an awesome hike. You top out on a nice lake surrounded by mountains, and you'll be mostly alone. Great option, but you'll certainly break a sweat.

-Brian
              Don't forget about the Harding Ice Field Trail. Climbs up high with nice views of the valley below where you start at Exit Glacier.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X