Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good hiking in mid Kenai?

Hi guys,

Late July 2014, my friends and I are going to be at the family cabin just west of Sterling, on the Kenai River. We were hoping to maybe do a half day hiking trip somewhere close. We're going to do Harding Icefield/Exit Glacier later on, so we were thinking something more local to Sterling/Soldotna area, preferably something with a view to reward us.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

"Lost lake." Through trail. One from mid kenai, other trailhead in Seward. Great trail. Descending into Seward, amazing views of resurrection bay. Lakes at the top. Not too hard (a lot of stuff here is very hard, despite what guide books say).

Comment

Skilak lookout trail has great views. Also look at going up skyline trail, both are shorter hikes and skyline is a harder trail it is steep in places but gets you above trees fairly quick, but you'll want to pack something for the Bears or be faster than your friend anywhere you go. There are a lot of bears on the peninsula.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. My cousin, who lives in Anchorage, told me about the Russian River Falls trail and it sounds quite interesting. Anybody ever been there?

Comment

Russian River falls is a nice hike. You won't be alone and the trail is very easy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Skyline is a great trail on a nice day; the lower trails will likely be very buggy, stay high if you can. Resurrection Pass is a classic, day hike to the falls is a nice one.
            " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Skilak Lookout has great views.
              Russian River Falls is popular, easy, and you might even see some bears fishing at the falls.

Here's a list of 50 hikes on the Peninsula: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=385

Comment

If you go hiking in the hidden lake area of skilak there is a large black bear who has no fear of man. He was in the Hidden lake CG this morning making the rounds. Watch yourself.
                sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

+ to all the posts saying Russian trail. It's pretty great.

Comment

Not sure about Kenai area, but there is great hiking down in Seward. Mt. Marathon, and there is another popular mountain hike across the bay on Nash road (I forget the mountain name). The hike just outside of town to Scout lake is a fun hike; albeit fairly short (great Ptarmigan/Spruce grouse there). Lost lake and the Meridian/Grayling lake is also a fun walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
                      If you go hiking in the hidden lake area of skilak there is a large black bear who has no fear of man. He was in the Hidden lake CG this morning making the rounds. Watch yourself.

Thanks Hunt&FishAK. I was eyeing the Skilak area too. I'll be sure to pack some spray.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrerak View Post
                        Skilak Lookout has great views.
                        Russian River Falls is popular, easy, and you might even see some bears fishing at the falls.

Here's a list of 50 hikes on the Peninsula: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=385

Great! Thanks for the list!

Comment

Originally posted by nyclad View Post
                          Thanks Hunt&FishAK. I was eyeing the Skilak area too. I'll be sure to pack some spray.
                          Pack spray wherever you end up. There are bear. Big ones. Also read up on how to hike/camp safely.

Comment

We really enjoy the Carter Lake trail. The first few miles are steep, but it's pretty awesome at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Anythingalaska View Post
                              Not sure about Kenai area, but there is great hiking down in Seward. Mt. Marathon, and there is another popular mountain hike across the bay on Nash road (I forget the mountain name).
                              If you're talking about Mt. Alice, that is a great trail....and good berry pickins too :topjob:
                              " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X