This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing Pictures

Figured I would go ahead and start a climbing picture thread. These are from an attempt on White Princess (9800) in the Delta Range spring of 08. We turned around 1000 ft from the summit due to deteriorating weather and bad snow.
    WP1.jpg
    White Princess in the background
    WP2.jpg
    Ascending

More
    WP3.jpg

Techincal spot with some exposure

WP4.jpg

Heading back the next day with m'ladies branch of the Castner glacier and White Princess in the background. Of course the conditions were perfect that day.

Comment

One More

WP5.jpg

Comment

Nice pics. Good, but tough, decision turning back I am sure. Are you planning to try again?
        “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
        George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by billhicksmostfunny View Post
          Nice pics. Good, but tough, decision turning back I am sure. Are you planning to try again?
          Unfortunately, I most likely won't be in that part of the state come the spring climbing season. I would definately like to try it again someday, maybe I could boot it up the glacier in the summer. Climbing is usually a late winter/spring thing for me, after that I kick into fishing mode.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman6437 View Post
            We turned around 1000 ft from the summit due to deteriorating weather and bad snow.
            No guts, no glory... Wussy!

Just kidding man!!

Thanks for posting the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman6437 View Post
              Unfortunately, I most likely won't be in that part of the state come the spring climbing season. I would definately like to try it again someday, maybe I could boot it up the glacier in the summer. Climbing is usually a late winter/spring thing for me, after that I kick into fishing mode.
              I have definitely enjoyed your pictures! Those are some great pix of the Castner Glacier and that whole section there on White Princess. I am part jealous you've done it. I have been wanting to do White Princess since moving up here. You pictures inspire me. Maybe I'll consider doing it again this spring! Thanks for sharing!
              Lurker.

Comment

all the pics are in skiing~

Comment

Panorama Peak (Outside of Denali NP) day climb

Me and my friend Cody set out from Anchorage the afternoon of the 8th as our mutual friend Bill departed Fairbanks. We met in a parking lot at the base of Panorama Peak, a 5800 foot mountain on the east side of the parks north of Cantwell. We spent a chilly night camping in -10 to -15 degree temperatures but managed to stay fairly warm with the exception of Bill who forgot his sleeping pad. Got up the next morning to a clear cold day and began breaking down camp and took advantage of having heated vehicles nearby. Set out climbing a prominent coular around 10 am. Snow was mostly hard packed and great for crampons.

Base of the mountain
                  Panorama 1.jpg

Lower section of the coular
                  Panorama 2.jpg

Comment

Panorama Peak

We made great time up the coular. There was definately more snow than the previous times any of us had done this climb, meaning we never had to take our crampons off to scramble across scree fields.

Looking up the coular

Panorama 3.jpg

Bill checking out the view from a rock formation
                    Panorama 4.jpg

Comment

Panorama Peak

We made it to the top of the coular and began to climb the ridge towards the summit while working around all the gnarly gendarmes. There are some potentially hairy spots but we were able to work around them without having to get the rope out.

Looking down
                      Panorama 5.jpg

Summit Ridge
                      Panorama 6.jpg

Comment

Panorama Peak

We summited a little after 1 pm. We had climbed 3400 vertical feet in about 3 and a half hours, making this the fastest climb we had ever done on Panorama. There is a rime covered bump that is a few feet higher than the summit we were on, but would have required protection and technical climbing to get on top of.

Interesting wind formation
                        Panorama 11.jpg

Me and Bill on the summit
                        Panorama 7.jpg

Comment

Panorama Peak

After screwing around on the summit for a while, we made quick time back to the trucks by glissading a good portion of the way back down. We hit the vehicles by 3pm. On another note, take it easy when glissading downa slope like this. At one point Bill got so out of control that he began to tumble and barely stopped himself.

Cody going over to the true summit to see if it is climbable.
                          Panorama 12.jpg

Bill glissading down the mountain
                          Panorama 13.jpg

Comment

Panorama Peak

A few more pics

The mountain (coular we travelled in the center)
                            Panorama 9.jpg

Me cramponing up
                            Panorama 10.jpg

Comment

Panorama Peak

Last one

One more summit pic
                              Panorama 8.jpg

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...